any room for alpha/beta testers?

Guest ponkan

Guest ponkan

Hi, I'm wondering if you guys are at a stage in development where people (like me) with no programming experience could offer a hand with say bugtesting.

I've downloaded and compiled the CVS source without a hitch. I also tested it with some BG2 mods and it works perfectly with the extra game files. It also works a hell of a lot faster than through Cedega (but I guess that's to be expected). There are quite a lot of things missing but I don't think they're problems as opposed to just things that haven't been implemented yet.

One main thing is that Kits don't show up when a kittable class is clicked on character creation (BG2). I mean I don't know any python or C but I am very experienced with PHP and Javascript (being a web designer) so I have experience with programming languages. I would be willing to learn Python and help out as I am very interested in this project and want to see the day where it reaches v1. So I was just wondering if attempting to add the Kits dialog as a GUIscript would be a good place to start?

I've downloaded and compiled the CVS source without a hitch. I also tested it with some BG2 mods and it works perfectly with the extra game files. It also works a hell of a lot faster than through Cedega (but I guess that's to be expected). There are quite a lot of things missing but I don't think they're problems as opposed to just things that haven't been implemented yet.

One main thing is that Kits don't show up when a kittable class is clicked on character creation (BG2). I mean I don't know any python or C but I am very experienced with PHP and Javascript (being a web designer) so I have experience with programming languages. I would be willing to learn Python and help out as I am very interested in this project and want to see the day where it reaches v1. So I was just wondering if attempting to add the Kits dialog as a GUIscript would be a good place to start?

Yes, especially if you can compare side-by-side with the original game(s), GUIScript editing is useful, and fairly easy - if rather tedious :).

Yes, especially if you can compare side-by-side with the original game(s), GUIScript editing is useful, and fairly easy - if rather tedious :).

Heh, I'm used to tedious, you should see some of my early PHP apps when I didn't know the meaning of a database class

Oops, the kits don't work at all?

Well, that is something you can try to practice on :)

It may be the extra modded kits that are messing it up but I can't be sure, I'll try fixing it anyway (after I've learnt Python, read the GUIScripting tutorials and finished my exams of course :) )

If that mod works with the original engine, then this is not a good news!

Well it works with some custom kits but I haven't identified the mod that adds the kits that causes it to fail. My guess would be I went over the 9 kit limit somewhere (prbably clerics, there are loads of those kits around) and where the original engine just didn't display them, gemRB died.

I will test this :)

Chances are gemrb tries to display the extra kits, and with the right .chu it would even work.

So i'll need to do some extra work to not hardcode the max. kit number but detect the .chu size.

You can try to fix it too, it doesn't sound terribly complex.

I will test this :)

Chances are gemrb tries to display the extra kits, and with the right .chu it would even work.

So i'll need to do some extra work to not hardcode the max. kit number but detect the .chu size.

You can try to fix it too, it doesn't sound terribly complex.

how hard would it be to add a scrollbar to the kit list?

could you perhaps put the edited version in the override? I mean maybe it should wait until the whole engine's working perfectly before extra stuff's added in. This project would give modder's a field day. You could technically just make an entire new game to run on the engine. That's pretty crazy, I'm surprised there hasn't been more interest in the project. I've got a lot of exams coming up so I can't do much at the moment but when those are over I'm really gonna get stuck in ^_^

Archived