Which gods would you like to see?

NiGHTMARE

I could be wrong, but I don't think the Demon princes are able to grant their Faerunian-based (demi-)human worshippers any spells. Were we talking about Oerth (Greyhawk) it'd be a different story, but unfortunately we're not... :D

I believe Lolth (who's of course a Demon Queen as well as a Drow goddess) is sometimes willing to grant powers to evil aligned Human and even Elven worshippers, but then we'd have to add all sorts of extra dialogue craziness to the Viconia banters :D.

(snip)

I'm no expert on FR dieties, but it would be nice for a 'nature' god to be chosen for folks who want to be Cleric / Rangers ... and since you can't otherwise have anything close to a Druid/Mage in BG....

Mielikki or Sylvanus would be choices for nature.

In addition, look up Obad'Hai for rangers/druids.

Literally, there are so many choices, and so little time! Perhaps it best to stick to the intermediate to major gods, with a few exceptions to lesser gods that are already well-mentioned in the game: Torm - Keldorn, Waukeen - Promenade.

Some intermediate gods to look at: Lolth, Bane, Beshaba, Clangeddin Silverbeard, Erevan Ilesere, Baervan Wildwanderer, Arvoreen, Gond, Helm, Ilmater, Mielikki, Selune, Tymora, Umberlee.

Some greater gods to look at: Akadi, Chauntea, Cyric, Moradin, Corellon Larethian, Garl Glittergold, Yondalla, Gruumsh, Kelemvor, Kossuth, Lathander, Mystra, Oghma, Shar, Silvanus, Sune, Talos, Tempus, Tyr.

I'm big on balance, so my personal suggestion would be to balance out as many deities as you can, just spread them evenly across the board. For example, have each pantheon represented with at least one, if not more, god. Examples:

Drow - Lolth

Dwarf - Moradin, Clangeddin

Elf - Corellon Larethian, Erevan Ilesere

Gnome - Garl Glittergold, Baervan

Halfling - Yondalla, Arvoreen

Orc - Gruumsh

Then you can evenly represent classes as such:

Bard - Oghma

Cleric - Lathander, Ilmater

Druid - Silvanus

Fighter - Tempus

Mage - Mystra

Paladin - Tyr, Helm

Ranger - Mielikki

Thief - Beshaba

And, of course, there can be deities for specialized classes such as:

Illusionist - Akadi

Necromancer - Cyric, Kelemvor

Pyro Maniac - Kossuth

I could be wrong, but I don't think the Demon princes are able to grant their Faerunian-based (demi-)human worshippers any spells.  Were we talking about Oerth (Greyhawk) it'd be a different story, but unfortunately we're not... :D

I believe Lolth (who's of course a Demon Queen as well as a Drow goddess) is sometimes willing to grant powers to evil aligned Human and even Elven worshippers, but then we'd have to add all sorts of extra dialogue craziness to the Viconia banters :D.

I think Orcus is a demon prince that can grant spells. Though he may be dead/called Tenebrous at the time of BGII. I'm not sure.

He's dead/Tenebrous/Modorn God at the time of BGII. Demogorgon is only able to grant the Ixithcical (evil manta rays) power in Aber-Toril since they amplify his power, and he amplifies theirs. Kinda funky.

I believe that Gruumsh is out as well, since he only grants spells to full orcs, not half-breeds.

As for cults, The Elder Elemental God is nice and evil, and can be worshipped by evil humans. Most of the Demon Princes limit their worshippers to certain races, though I suppose an exception could be made for the Bhaalspawn. However, that opens up a whole new can of worms, since then you could argue that the PC should be able to choose any deity.

TheWizard: Cyric & Lolth would require quite a few dialogue/storyline changes, so I don't think they'd be worth it. Bane is out since he's, well, dead at the time BG2 takes place :D. His son Xvim is a definite possibility though.

Andyr: I believe at the time of B2, Ocrus has not only become Tenebrous, but has since been defeated (and subsequently vanished) in that form as well. I can't seem to find a timeline to confirm this though.

Caedwyr: IIRC Orcs greatly respect Half-Orcs, more so than most (any?) other races do halfbreeds, so are you entirely sure Gruumsh doesn't grant them spells? Anyway, Luthic might be a good alternative, considering she's the only Orc god who allows female priests.

Well, 3E is very confused on the matter of Orcus.

Caedwyr: I think he was only Primus for a short time, as his CE nature was threatened by the fact he was using a LN deity. Also, my books say Gruumsh allows Half-Orc worshippers, too.

NiGHTMARE: In 3E Orcus is a lesser deity in FR (but not one in Greyhawk), then they release the Player's Guide to Faerun for 3.5E which says he's only an archfiend that can grant spells.

Good news on the Gruumsh thing then. If you can find a reason to allow him, then go for it.

I just checked a timeline, and it seems that by the time the Bhaalspawn saga takes place Orcus is back in existance as Tenebous/Orcus (but quietly, so not likely to grant many people spells)

Archived