Where's Amber?

Guest ahardi01

Guest ahardi01

I know Amber is in the prison in the government district but where do you get the quest to find her? I've been over most of the city and I can't find it. Please help. Thanks.

Guest ahardi01

I don't know if anybody else is having this problem but I cannot find Amber. I've been over the entire city in every area and I cannot find how to get her. I read somewhere she is in the prison but I can't find her in it. Please tell me how to get her in my party. Thanks.

I don't know if anybody else is having this problem but I cannot find Amber. I've been over the entire city in every area and I cannot find how to get her. I read somewhere she is in the prison but I can't find her in it. Please tell me how to get her in my party. Thanks.

I just approached the Copper Coronet (the door on the right, when you are facing it from the street) and you will hear 2 kids talking about "the demon" in the prison. Then go to the prison and things will start rolling from there.

Guest ahardi01

I have searched everywhere in the Slums district and every other area in the city thoroughly and I have not found two kids talking to each other or anything else that will lead me to Amber. Someone please help, I am really getting frustrated. I have spent hours trying to find her. Thanks in advance.

I have searched everywhere in the Slums district and every other area in the city thoroughly and I have not found two kids talking to each other or anything else that will lead me to Amber. Someone please help, I am really getting frustrated. I have spent hours trying to find her. Thanks in advance.

Have you either rescued or had Viconia killed in front of the prison in the Government district? If you haven't, try doing so and then visiting some of the less respectable areas of Athkatla.

Hypothetical question:

If you've already visited the prison, say to release Jan if you couldn't bring yourself to lie to Trax, does Amber still spawn there? Do the kids still show up?

I've played scenarios where the only time creatures (NPC's are technically creatures for game purposes) will spawn is when an area has never been visited.

By the way, that exchange between the kids and the party was adorable and so *real*. It was perhaps the most accurate rendering of human behavior I've seen in the whole BG series. Kids really do act like that.

And your voice talent was superb.

Hypothetical question:

If you've already visited the prison, say to release Jan if you couldn't bring yourself to lie to Trax, does Amber still spawn there? Do the kids still show up?

I've played scenarios where the only time creatures (NPC's are technically creatures for game purposes) will spawn is when an area has never been visited.

By the way, that exchange between the kids and the party was adorable and so *real*. It was perhaps the most accurate rendering of human behavior I've seen in the whole BG series. Kids really do act like that.

And your voice talent was superb.

Well, yes, this is a problem with all mods that change area scripts (to spawn creatures, for example). When you visit an area, it's script is recorded in your save game, and if you then install a mod that changes that script (as Amber does to the prison area script), the changes are not registered, since the information in you save is used insteadof that of the area file. Since the boy and the girl that start the quest leading to discovering Amber are spawned via the area script, you will also need to use a save where you have not visited all of the areas where they can appear (I'll not list them here to avoid spoiling, but if someone needs to know them, please PM me).

So in brief, no. In fact, you must not have visited several districts of Athkatla in the save you start from after installing Amber. The ideal case, of course is starting a new game with all the mods you want to use already installed.

This might also be the problem in Ahardi's case; if it is, it should be solved by starting the game either from the beginning or from a save game made before visiting

How curious.

I understand why some quests do not begin if the areas where creatures will spawn have already been visited prior to installing the mod.

What is curious is the fact that the boy and girl appeared in an area the party had visited extensively.

This was prior my installation issues of last evening, when the only computer with Amber on it was mine. I didn't go to the prison at that time, so I have no idea what would have happened.

Sorry that wasn't more helpful.

How curious.

I understand why some quests do not begin if the areas where creatures will spawn have already been visited prior to installing the mod.

What is curious is the fact that the boy and girl appeared in an area the party had visited extensively.

This was prior my installation issues of last evening, when the only computer with Amber on it was mine. I didn't go to the prison at that time, so I have no idea what would have happened.

Sorry that wasn't more helpful.

Actually, you are quite right now that I think about it (it's been about two years since I last battled with areas and their scripts...). I think the problem of previous visitation preventing mod creatures spawning only affects areas that are not included in mastarea.2da, and the outside areas of Athkatla are. So I'll have to take back my words on that; the only place you must not have visited before indtalling Amber is the inside of the prison (which is not included in mastarea.2da). Otherwise everything should spawn OK.

So, to sum it up from Darios' rather long :) post:

If you have visited the prison previously, neither Max the guard nor Amber will spawn. (The kids will, though.) All other areas are fine; it does not matter if you have visited them or not.

Archived