Discussion: BG2 Kit Creation Series

Now i installed and is sais it does so succesfully. However when i go into BG2EE and look for the kit it;s nowhere to be found. What have i forgotten to do?

A proper punctuation. :p Humor, it's not one of my gifts... it's one for the entire world.

Not that that's the reason for the kit not to show up. This tutorial unfortunately only covers the non-EE games, for the EE games, you need to use the weidu's additional provided .tpa file called ft#add_kit_ee.tpa . And the EE v2.0 update just came up, so the official release(v23900) hasn't got it's last updates(v1.1.2) that is available here.

The example .tp2 itself is a tutorial on how to make kits in for the EE games with the file.

Now i installed and is sais it does so succesfully. However when i go into BG2EE and look for the kit it;s nowhere to be found. What have i forgotten to do?

A proper punctuation. :p Humor, it's not one of my gifts... it's one for the entire world.

Not that that's the reason for the kit not to show up. This tutorial unfortunately only covers the non-EE games, for the EE games, you need to use the weidu's additional provided .tpa file called ft#add_kit_ee.tpa . And the EE v2.0 update just came up, so the official release(v23900) hasn't got it's last updates(v1.1.2) that is available here.

The example .tp2 itself is a tutorial on how to make kits in for the EE games with the file.

ah ok thank you. as for the punctuation i'll get to that once i have the basics of making a mod down. step by step, hence why i first just want the basic examples working before i start messing it all up with my own stuff.

i'll look over the new examples and hope i can understand em.

EDIT: Step 1 completed getting the kit into the game. Step 2 getting it in so it doesn't crash the game when i click on the kit

EDIT: Step 2 achieved A note for everyone apparently BG2EE does NOT like "Û" in the kit name. i suspect it won't like other symbols and accents either

Edited by El Diablo

Ol another noobish question. I tried giving my new priest of gond kit the knock spell as innate ability by copying the clab.2da for the priest of helm and then replacing the GA_SPCL731 entries with GA_SPWI207 which is the knock spell. Sadly this does not seem to work and there is no knock spell. Am i correct in assuming i need to make a new version of the knock spell as a Innate spell for it to work in this way? and if this is so is there a guide anywhere or tips to do so?

thanks in advance.

This (old) macro is used by Divine Remix to alter a priest spell to an innate spell.

// change regular spell to innate
DEFINE_PATCH_MACRO ~spell_to_innate~ BEGIN

READ_LONG  0x64 "abil_off" ELSE 0
  READ_SHORT 0x68 "abil_num" ELSE 0
  READ_ASCII ("%abil_off%" + 0x04) "bam" (8) // reads the bam filename from ability
  WRITE_SHORT 0x1C 4                         // sets spell type to innate (4)
  WRITE_LONG  0x34 1                         // sets spell level to 1 to avoid scripting issues
  WRITE_EVALUATED_ASCII 0x3A "%bam%" #8      // writes the bam filename from abilities to spell icon
  FOR ( index = 0 ; index < abil_num ; index = index + 1 ) BEGIN
    WRITE_SHORT ("%abil_off%" + 0x02 + (0x28 * "%index%")) 4 // changes ability icon location to innate (4)
    READ_SHORT  ("%abil_off%" + 0x12 + (0x28 * "%index%")) "speed" // reads casting speed
    PATCH_IF ("%speed%" > 3) BEGIN
      WRITE_SHORT  ("%abil_off%" + 0x12 + (0x28 * "%index%")) ("%speed%" - 2) // reduces casting speed
    END ELSE BEGIN
      WRITE_SHORT  ("%abil_off%" + 0x12 + (0x28 * "%index%")) 0 // makes instant
    END
  END
END

You could use the macro in your mod or just follow the same steps when creating a custom spell using Near Infinity.

EDIT: Step 2 achieved A note for everyone apparently BG2EE does NOT like "Û" in the kit name. i suspect it won't like other symbols and accents either

Yes, your .tra files need to be converted to UTF-8 for BGEE. Download RealMod and follow what it does to automatically convert character sets for EE games. This is accomplished with the iconv folder (inside the languages directory) and the code listed in the ALWAYS block of the .tp2.

This (old) macro is used by Divine Remix to alter a priest spell to an innate spell.

... and use the macro like a spagetti-making machine, aka after defining it: With xyz.spl being the target and zyx the result

COPY_EXISTING ~xyz.spl~ ~override/zyx.spl~
  LAUNCH_PATCH_MACRO ~spell_to_innate~

old topic but the links are outdated

also the kitlist.2da section of the tutorial - proficiency - is known (points to weapprof.2da)

Edited by Sir-Kill
also is there a explaination what the 'unusuable' hex numbers are? an assasin has 40000 but what is that?
1 hour ago, Sir-Kill said:

old topic but the links are outdated

Thanks, I've updated them all.

also the kitlist.2da section of the tutorial - proficiency - is known (points to weapprof.2da)

Fixed.  There are probably some other references that are a bit out of date, particularly those that relate to limitations that have been removed in the Enhanced Editions.

also is there a explaination what the 'unusuable' hex numbers are? an assasin has 40000 but what is that?

Each of the 32 bits in the unusability value uniquely correspond to a specific vanilla kit.  The hex unusability value of "0004 0000" which an assassin uses can be expressed as "0000 0000 0000 0100 0000 0000 0000 0000" in binary.  Looking at it this way makes it easier to see which of the 32 bits "belongs" to the assassin.

If a kit has this bit set to 1, the game will treat it as an assassin in terms of restricting it from using items that assassins can't use.  It can also affect other things, like limiting the number of thieving skill points that the kit gains per level.

1 hour ago, Mike1072 said:

... It can also affect other things, like limiting the number of thieving skill points that the kit gains per level.

This is in the non-EE games, as in the EE games, one of the added files(thiefskl.2da) alters the skill points for classes and kits.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola