Discussion: BG2 Kit Creation Series

I get this error when installing a kit:

Copying and patching 1 file ...
[bwgrey/cre/bwgrey8.cre] loaded, 944 bytes
ERROR: cannot convert %BW#DAWG% or %%BW#DAWG%% to an integer  (yields: %%BW#DAWG%% %BW#DAWG%)
ERROR: [bwgrey/cre/bwgrey8.cre] -> [override/bwgrey8.cre] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("int_of_string"))
Stopping installation because of error.

This is the code from the tp2:

COPY ~bwgrey/cre/bwgrey8.cre~    ~override/bwgrey8.cre~
 WRITE_SHORT   0x244 0
 WRITE_BYTE    0x246 ~%BW#DAWG%~
 WRITE_BYTE    0x247 0x40

Can anyone tell me what is going wrong here?

Thanks in advance.

Rabain

Nah the Add kit is always at the top of the tp2.

I did notice that this seems to happen when the kit in question is already installed. Would that have an effect on the assigning of the kit to the cre?

The only way I could get around this was to remove the kit from the ids files and re-install. I didn't have to change the tp2 at all...weird...

Yeah, the variable is only set on a successful ADD_KIT--if the kit is already present then ADD_KIT never gets executed and the variable is not set. This is also potentially a problem if ADD_KIT and the assignment of the kit are in different components. If the kit is added in one component and then the user quits the variable is lost. If they then begin setup again, the value is null and you'll get the same 'variable not set' error.

You should be able to check the 2das and determine the value through other means if the kit is already present.

Guest DreamingxAshley

I would like to have a Bard Skald, with the ability to open locks and disable traps, dont really care about the pickpocket ability... so how would I go about doing this? is it possible?

Im on the Sorcerers Place forums under the same name. :)

I would like to have a Bard Skald, with the ability to open locks and disable traps, dont really care about the pickpocket ability... so how would I go about doing this? is it possible?

Im on the Sorcerers Place forums under the same name. :)

The biggest issue is that the buttons on the bottom menu (spellcasting, thieving skills, etc.) are hardcoded and can not be changed. So while you could grant a bard thieving abilities, the corresponding buttons would not appear--he already has the thieving button--he could disarm traps and open locks, but there's no detect traps button. Similarly, trying to recreate a skald via a thief kit would mean no spellcasting or bardsong. There's no kittable class that has spellcasting and a full range of thieving skills. You couls write a script that would allow your character to do various actions via hotkey, but's it's probably overkill for what you're trying to do.

hmmm... so how would I add open locks and disable traps? Since theres alredy the thieving skills button. I can live without the pickpocket skil... so we could get rid of that so that shes not basically a bard-thief.

Guest DreamingxAshley
hmmm... so how would I add open locks and disable traps? Since theres alredy the thieving skills button. I can live without the pickpocket skil... so we could get rid of that so that shes not basically a bard-thief.

That was me btw.. ^_^

I don't think it is possible (and if it is, it would be very hacky and something that would give the most veteran modder a pause for thought). One of the problems is you'd have to keep checking the stat to account for changes, such as from boosting items, spells, or drains from being attacked by certain creatures, curses etc.