Discussion: BG2 Kit Creation Series

Ach.... I'm trying to follow Cam's directions pretty much to the letter. If it makes a difference, I'm working on a Mac, OS 10.2.8. I try to install my completed mod via WeiDU in the Terminal, and I get a "PARSE ERROR at line 16 column 1-3", "Near Text: SAY", and then "syntax error". It so happens that line 16, column 1-3 of my .tp2 is the letters "SAY" as per Cam's tutorial... Any idea what my machine might be complaining about? Is the command "SAY" outdated or something? Again, complete noob, completely at a loss. No idea what's going on.

~NewDruid 0 0 0 0 15 15~

~NewDruid 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1~

~NewDruid 1 0 0 0 0 0~

~NewDruid/CLABMYDR.2da~

~K_D_H K_D_D K_D_G K_D_E K_D_HE K_D_HL K_D_HO~

~0x00004000 11~

SAY ~Broken Druid~

SAY ~Broken Druid~

SAY ~Broken Druid: description etc.~

That's it. Thanks for the unexpectedly prompt suggestions, sadly I had to go to work and only read them just now. I'm afraid I don't know what a ".tra" is... So I can't answer that one. Should this be working?

You're missing a couple of lines before the SAYS, namely the HLA table and list of ToB starting equipment. I'm pretty sure you need these even if installing to a SoA-only game.

As for a .tra, it's short for translation file. Basically, instead of SAY ~Broken Druid~, you could have SAY #1, then in a file called NewDruid.tra, the first line would read "@1 = ~Broken Druid~" (without the quotes). Some people find it helpful for organizational/efficiency purposes, plus it also helps anyone wanting to translate your mod.

Thanks thirty-seven million nightmare guy. After taking your advice, then fixing NUMEROUS bugs of my own in the .tp2, I got the thing installed. You are a true hero to me. Oddly enough, though, after having put so much thought and effort into this kit... I find myself drained of enthusiasm for actually playing the thing. Maybe tomorrow. Thanks again.

You're missing a couple of lines before the SAYS, namely the HLA table and list of ToB starting equipment.  I'm pretty sure you need these even if installing to a SoA-only game.

As for a .tra, it's short for translation file.  Basically, instead of SAY ~Broken Druid~, you could have SAY #1, then in a file called NewDruid.tra, the first line would read "@1 = ~Broken Druid~" (without the quotes).  Some people find it helpful for organizational/efficiency purposes, plus it also helps anyone wanting to translate your mod.

One correction... SAY #12345 means to use the existing strref 12345 from dialog.tlk. SAY @12345 means to use @12345 from the associated tra file (i.e. adding a new string to dialog.tlk).

edit: And some crossposting. Glad to hear it worked SL, nick work NM. :p

Edited by CamDawg

Fantastic guides, thanks for writing them.

Just a couple of quick questions.

Where is the class that the kit is a subclass of actually set? I'm sure this is somewhere obvious, however I can't seem to see it.

In the usability flag if I change the class to any class other than what I originally created it as (cleric as per the example) the kit stops working and becomes the default cleric class.

I'm quite confused as to what is going on here.

Also, the game has it set so gnomes multi-class to a kit (illusionist instead of mage). Is this easy to set up for other classes? I want to multi-class the kit i've made but I am not sure how to go about it.

Fun having someone with innate ability to dimension door, innate spell abilities and innate ability to summon weapons :)

Where is the class that the kit is a subclass of actually set? I'm sure this is somewhere obvious, however I can't seem to see it.

The class is the second number in the unusabiity line:

0x00000004	2

The above is the kensai kit. The second number is from class.ids:

1   MAGE
2   FIGHTER
3   CLERIC
4   THIEF
5   BARD
6   PALADIN
11  DRUID
12  RANGER

In the usability flag if I change the class to any class other than what I originally created it as (cleric as per the example) the kit stops working and becomes the default cleric class.

The usability flag doesn't determine the kit; it's the cclass value, above, that does.

Also, the game has it set so gnomes multi-class to a kit (illusionist instead of mage). Is this easy to set up for other classes? I want to multi-class the kit i've made but I am not sure how to go about it.

Hardcoded, unfortunately. The multi-classes have little flexibility for change.

Glad you found the tutorial helpful, and good luck. :)

The class is the second number in the unusabiity line:

0x00000004	2

The above is the kensai kit. The second number is from class.ids:

1   MAGE
2   FIGHTER
3   CLERIC
4   THIEF
5   BARD
6   PALADIN
11  DRUID
12  RANGER

The usability flag doesn't determine the kit; it's the cclass value, above, that does.

Hardcoded, unfortunately. The multi-classes have little flexibility for change.

Glad you found the tutorial helpful, and good luck. :party:

Thanks for the reply, it is appreciated.

Unfortunately I haven't had any luck yet.

The code is as follows:

Taken directly from the tute:

// PC races and classes allowed to use this kit, from KITTABLE.2da
 ~K_C_D K_C_E K_C_G K_C_H K_C_HE K_C_HL K_C_HO~

// usability flags, added to the end of the KITLIST.2da entry
 ~0x000000004     2~

As I understand it this should make them a subclass of fighter, however they are still coming up under the cleric list and not functioning properly :party:

Very sad that I can't multiclass it :)

The K_C_D, K_C_E, K_C_G, etc determines which kit selection screens the kit appears in.  For example, K_C_D = cleric, dwarf; K_C_E = cleric, elf.  If it's a fighter kit, you'll want to replace the C with F.

Perfect, thats exactly what I needed to know, thank you