Discussion: BG2 Kit Creation Series

Basically i dont know how to implemet the mod into my game as all i have at the moment is a bunch of text. So what do I do next to put it into the game.

Please reread the first section of Part Three of the Series. That section titled 'Creating a WeiDU Mod – The Basics' will tell you everything you need to know in very basic steps.

Edited by Grim Squeaker
Guest Guest

yeah thats what ive done but when i run the setup.exe I get a message saying that the file is not found. when it blatantly is sitting there in soa directory.

does everything seem alright with the coding ive already done?

Guest Guest

**ERROR** [sETUP-MYMOD.TP2] not found

Make sure that you have unpacked the file correctly and that you are not trying to run this from inside an archive. [C.Program Files/ Black Isle/ BGII - SOA/Setup-MyMod.tp2] Using scripting style "BG"

press ENTER to exit

Guest Guest
My guess is this command: 'COPY ~MyMod/Mykit.kit~ ~override~'.  What is Mykit.kit?

oops i pasted in an old one.

COPY ~MyMod/Grandmaster.kit~ ~override~

Is what it now says.

Im not sure with this line.

the copy function in the tutorial was to do with a spell. So I need this line for a kit? If so then what do i put?

Okay on the tp2, this should be your setup. You have your BG2 directory and inside that is a folder which you've named MyMod. There is also your Setup-MyMod.tp2 and the Setup-MyMod.exe (which is what you are running).

As for Mykit.kit, is there is no file for the kit as whole. This tp2 code that you've been copying and pasting is the code for the kit. You only need to copy stuff across if you have some spells, for example, that your kit requires as abilities. As you don't seem to have that just remove that line.

Guest Guest

ok i understand about the copy bit.

yeah thats what I have and I just get the error message.

Thanks for the help so far. Greatly appreciated.

Right, sorry if I'm being a tad daft but, having read through this entire thread, I was never able to discover how to disable one of the existing mage kits and replace it with a new, custom one. Personally I have been using the scripting method (setting it as a bard kit and switching mid-game) but, having read this, there seems to be a way to actually code it as a proper kit. How would I go about doing this, since the K_M_x.2da files do not exist and so cannot be altered?

Also, I know that you can combine opposition schools by adding the usability flags in hex, but does this work for *all* usability flags? (ie if I add the ones for mage and thief I get mage-thief usability?)

Edited by Daeva
Guest Guest

Hi - first time trying to make a kit. I read the tutorial and all of this thread, but I'm at a loss for a couple of things.

The basic idea is that I want to simulate the 3.5 Warlock class, as a kit. I figured the best way to do this was to make it a fighter kit and use the innate abilities as "invocations" & "Eldritch blast". For those who don't know, Warlocks don't use spells; they use innate abilities - at will. So, having used DLTCEP to edit/create some new spells yesterday (I'm very new at this -_-), and named them "WRLK--##" whatnot, I tried to make a kit. I followed the tutorial right up to page three - and then page four lost me.

I'd like reduce the fighter's HD down to d6, but more importantly, I want to know how to include innate abilities, per level. Any advice/help would be greatly appriecated, because it's got me stumped. I'll post what I have so far though.

=-=-=-=

BACKUP ~MyMod/backup~ // so WeiDU can uninstall

AUTHOR ~-----@mydomain.com~ // contact address displayed if installation fails

BEGIN ~Warlock Kit~ // name of this component

// internal name of the kit

ADD_KIT ~fWarlock~

// appended to CLASWEAP.2da

~fWarlock 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0~

// appended column-wise to WEAPPROF.2da

~fWarlock 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3~

// appended to ABCLASRQ.2da

~fWarlock 0 0 0 8 0 15~

// appended to ABCLSMOD.2da

~fWarlock -1 0 0 0 0 1~

// appended to ABDCDSRQ.2da

~fWarlock 0 0 0 0 0 15~

// appended to ABDCSCRQ.2da

~fWarlock 0 0 0 0 0 15~

// appended to ALIGNMNT.2da

~fWarlock 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1~

// appended to DUALCLAS.2da

~fWarlock 1 0 1 1 0 1~

// path to your CLAB-style 2da file

~MyMod/fWarlock.2da~

// PC races and classes allowed to use this kit, from KITTABLE.2da

~K_F_D K_F_E K_F_G K_F_H K_F_HE K_F_HL K_F_HO~

// usability flags, added to the end of the KITLIST.2da entry

~0x00004000 2~

// HLA table to use; see LUABBR.2da

~f!4~

// list of starting equipment for PCs starting in ToB. Appended column-wise to 25STWEAP.2da

~WRLKIT01 * HELM18 BAG20 RING26 RING29 * BOOT01 WRLKIT02 BRAC15 BELT09 AROW11,20 AROW05,20 AROW06,15 POTN52,5 POTN42,2 POTN27,4 * SW1H27 DAGG16,25~

// Lower, mixed, and help kit names and descriptions, added to KITLIST.2da

SAY ~Warlock~

SAY ~Warlock~

SAY ~Warlock: Warlock cut for length

Features:

d6 HD

Gains new invocations every fourth level

Gains class features every fifth level

Advantages:

Eldritch Blast damage increases by 1d6 every second level

Eldritch Blast is cast at will; not by uses per day

Invocations are cast at will; not by uses per day

Disadvantages:

Cannot use spells

Gains invocations far slower than a sorcerer would his spells~

So that's what I have. I'm not quite sure what else I need, but... some help would be nice. Thanks in advance ^^

I'd like reduce the fighter's HD down to d6,

Kits may not have hit die set separately to their base class.

but more importantly, I want to know how to include innate abilities, per level.

You need to put these in your CLAB file, which you have specified as fWarlock.2DA. If you are unsure what these look like I recommend looking at existing files--they're arrays with one column per level, and on levelling up every spell prefixed with GA_ is gained as an ability while every spell prefixed AP_ is cast on the character then.

You may eventually want to change these.

~fWarlock                1      1      1      1      1      1      1      1      1~

I thought you originally wanted to make them Chaotic or Evil only?

Guest Guest

Thank you for the reply.

Too bad about the hit die. It there any way to take hit points off if the hit die can't be altered? Perhaps some sort of script or something that subtracts four hp each time the character levels? That might be too complex though and I've no experience at coding.

You may eventually want to change these.

I've been meaning to, but I actually wanted to get the kit up and running before fine tuning any details. Not much point putting my email address or anything like that before it even works. :) But I will get to it.

~fWarlock                1      1      1      1      1      1      1      1      1~

I thought you originally wanted to make them Chaotic or Evil only?

Originally, I would have, but having read the WotC class desc carefully - namely this part:

Adventures: Many warlocks are champions of dark and chaotic powers. Long ago, (or in some cases, their ancestors) forged grim pacts with dangerous extraplanar powers, trading portions of their souls in exchange for supernatural power. While many warlocks have turned away from evil, seeking to undo the wrongs of their former colleagues, they are still chained by the old pacts through which they have acquired their powers. The demand to further the designs of their dark patrons, or to resist them, drives most warlocks to seek opportunities for power, wealth, and good deeds (for good or ill) offered by adventuring.

I figured that "good" warlocks could exist as well.

but more importantly, I want to know how to include innate abilities, per level.

You need to put these in your CLAB file, which you have specified as fWarlock.2DA. If you are unsure what these look like I recommend looking at existing files--they're arrays with one column per level, and on levelling up every spell prefixed with GA_ is gained as an ability while every spell prefixed AP_ is cast on the character then.

This will sound quite silly, but um, where can I find such examples? I was looking through my BG2 folder and I couldn't find any "kits" to base mine off. Would you mind terribly perhaps posting an example of the CLAB file or directing me to one? I'll have another poke around, but I'm still at a bit of a loss. Having an example would be a great help though!

Cheers for all the assis, much appreciated. :)

Guest Guest

Edit for the post above. (Maybe I should register and actually be able to edit my posts)

Having dled the divine remix and taken a look at one of the classes there, for the abilities gained per level, I assume you're talking about: (taken from Andyr's Justifier kit)

1           2           3           4           5           6           7           8           9           10          11          12          13          14          15          16          17          18          19          20          21          22          23          24          25          26          27          28          29          30          31          32          33          34          35          36          37          38          39          40
ABILITY1    AP_spcl322  ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****
ABILITY2    AP_A#JUST01 ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****
ABILITY3    AP_A#JUST02 ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        AP_A#JUST02 ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        AP_A#JUST02 ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        AP_A#JUST02 ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****
ABILITY4    ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        GA_A#justcl ****        GA_A#justlu ****        GA_SPIN103  ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****
ABILITY5    ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        GA_A#justaf ****        GA_A#justrf ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****        ****
ABILITY6    AP_A#JUSTNS AP_A#JUSTNS AP_A#JUSTNS AP_A#JUSTNS AP_A#JUSTNS AP_A#JUSTNS AP_A#JUSTNS AP_A#JUSTNS AP_A#JUSTNS AP_A#JUSTNS AP_A#JUSTNS AP_A#JUSTNS AP_A#JUSTNS AP_A#JUSTNS AP_A#JUSTNS AP_A#JUSTNS AP_A#JUSTNS AP_A#JUSTNS AP_A#JUSTNS AP_A#JUSTNS AP_A#JUSTNS AP_A#JUSTNS AP_A#JUSTNS AP_A#JUSTNS AP_A#JUSTNS AP_A#JUSTNS AP_A#JUSTNS AP_A#JUSTNS AP_A#JUSTNS AP_A#JUSTNS AP_A#JUSTNS AP_A#JUSTNS AP_A#JUSTNS AP_A#JUSTNS AP_A#JUSTNS AP_A#JUSTNS AP_A#JUSTNS AP_A#JUSTNS AP_A#JUSTNS AP_A#JUSTNS

The above. I hope it doesn't come out completely horribly given its a forum and the above is code though :).

I think I have some of the gist of it, but how does one take away abilities gained? See, for the Eldritch blast ability, there are ten different versions of it - ranging from 1d6 right up to 10d6. Each time the character gains a second level, his Eldritch blast is supposed to increase - making the old one redundant. I'd really like to remove it. Is there a way? Again, help is much appriecated. Sorry to be a pest :)

For the hit points, you could remove a number per level but you'd not have a true d6, just d10-4 or whatever. Which could result in a hp loss.

That's right for a CLAB; all the existing ones are of the format CLABXX0Y.2DA where XX is a class abbreviation and Y is 0-3. It's all in Cam's tutorial.

For a spell that gets more powerful with levels you don't want to remove the spell with the CLAB. Instead you want your .SPL file to have several extension headers, allowing the more powerful version to be cast at higher levels.

First WeiDU mod and first kit. Its a range kit, is there anyway to make it so that this particullar kit gains a bonus racial enemy every few levels like they would charm animal and if it is possible how would I go about doing that?