Discussion: BG2 Kit Creation Series

Obviously though i need a CLAB style 2da file for the kit...

so i was wondering what exactly the CLAB 2da file does and what kind of information

it uses in relation to the kit.

Any help would be great.

A CLAB file designates what special abilities and characteristics each kit gains when reaching certain levels. Your best bet is to extract one of the original CLAB files for the class you're making a kit for, and adjust it as needed. For details, check this out: http://iesdp.gibberlings3.net/2da/2da_tob/clabxx00.htm

Guest Stinger

Thanks mike, that link was very helpful and i have made some progress with this editor so far but I have ran into 2 problems.

I have a bar kit that compiles and everything i want for it is working except that the special abilities i assigned are not taking effect.

I used the Clab file for the blade because i wanted the defensive and offensive spin for the kit and i added the ability from the swashbuckler kit to increase hit and damage every 5 levels.

The problem is when i make the character he doesn't start out with the spin abilities and when I increase his level he doesn't gain the +hit and damage bonus.

The second problem is that when I am playing with the mod installed the game runs a little bit slower until i uninstall the kit.

anybody know why this is happening?

I have a bar kit that compiles and everything i want for it is working except that the special abilities i assigned are not taking effect.

I used the Clab file for the blade because i wanted the defensive and offensive spin for the kit and i added the ability from the swashbuckler kit to increase hit and damage every 5 levels.

The problem is when i make the character he doesn't start out with the spin abilities and when I increase his level he doesn't gain the +hit and damage bonus.

One possibility is that the CLAB file you modified didn't get assigned properly. Check in kitlist.2da to see which file is assigned to your kit, and check the override to make sure it has the abilities you specified. I think I've also had some of my kits install successfully but fail to receive their abilities, acting as though they weren't kitted. I can't remember now what the exact cause was, but it was an error on my part that I ended up fixing.

The second problem is that when I am playing with the mod installed the game runs a little bit slower until i uninstall the kit.

I haven't experienced this.

Guest Stinger

Alright i checked the tp2 file and my path is fine. But now the part with kitlist is confusing me.

I reinstalled the mod again and checked my override file to find the kitlist and at the bottom was my kit.

The lower value was set to 62262, and the mixed value was the same also

and the help value was at 62265

By looking at the table i noticed that all lower and mixed values for other classes

were different but mines the same...

If this is the problem then how do i alter the values or is it something else that is the problem?

No, those are just the string references for the name of your kit. I meant that you should check the value in the ABILITIES column to see if it shared the same name as the CLAB file you modified. If that looks good, find your CLAB file in the override and make sure that it has what you expect. If you can't find anything wrong, try posting your ADD_KIT information from your .tp2.

Guest Stinger

Ok i checked the ABILITIES column and it said the file it was using was the G_SPELLSW file which is the Clab file i edited for the kit.

I also checked the file in my override and it is exactly the way i need it.

Heres the tp2 file im using currently

BACKUP ~GMod/backup~ // so WeiDU can uninstall

AUTHOR ~emailaddres@website.com~ // contact address displayed if installation fails

BEGIN ~Spell Sword Kit~ // name of this component

COPY ~Gmod/kits/spellsword/G_SpellSw.2da~ ~override~

// Bard kit

// internal name of the kit (SpellSword)

ADD_KIT ~G_SpellSw~

// appended to CLASWEAP.2da

~G_SpellSw 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0~

// appended column-wise to WEAPPROF.2da

~G_SpellSw 4 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 4 4 4 0 4 4 4 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 2 2 3 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1~

// appended to ABCLASRQ.2da

~G_SpellSw 0 14 0 14 0 15~

// appended to ABCLSMOD.2da

~G_SpellSw 0 0 0 0 0 0~

// appended to ABDCDSRQ.2da

~G_SpellSw 0 17 0 0 0 17~

// appended to ABDCSCRQ.2da

~G_SpellSw 0 15 0 0 0 15~

// appended to ALIGNMNT.2da

~G_SpellSw 0 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 0~

// appended to DUALCLAS.2da

~G_SpellSw 1 0 1 1 0 1~

// path to your CLAB-style 2da file

~Gmod/kits/spellsword/G_SpellSw.2da~

// PC races and classes allowed to use this kit, from KITTABLE.2da

//1'st Letter = 'Kit', 2nd Letter = 'Class', 3rd Letter = 'Race'

~K_B_H K_B_HE~

// usability flags, added to the end of the KITLIST.2da entry

~0x00200004 5~

// HLA table to use; see LUABBR.2da

~G_3~

// list of starting equipment for PCs starting in ToB. Appended column-wise to 25STWEAP.2da

~CHAN09 * HELM07 BAG20 RING06 RING31 * BOOT01 AMUL19 BRAC16 BELT06 AROW11,40 BULL03,40 BOLT06,40 POTN52,5 POTN4,2 POTN14,5 HAM07 SW1H27 STAF08~

// Lower, mixed, and help kit names and descriptions, added to KITLIST.2da

SAY ~SpellSword~

SAY ~SpellSword~

SAY ~SPELLSWORD: A SpellSword is talented in the art of magic and the sword. He uses his blade and magic as one entity to destroy all that would oppose him.

Advantages:

- Can specialize in any sword type weapon to a level of Mastery

- Has Defensive Spin and Offensive spin (See Blade's special abilities)

- Starting at level 1 the SpellSword gains +1 to hit and damage every 4 levels

Disadvantages:

- May not wear ANY armor

- May only use sword type weapons (short sword, long sword, katana, scimitar, etc.)

- Pick pocket is equal to that of a Blade~

// path to your CLAB-style 2da file

~Gmod/kits/spellsword/G_SpellSw.2da~

Aha, figured it out. The name of your CLAB file should have a length no greater than 8, so changing this to G_SplSw.2da or similar should do. While you're at it, there's no need for you to COPY it over at the top of the .tp2, but you will need to COPY over your custom HLA table (LUG_3.2da).

Guest Stinger

Mike you rock :suspect:. After changing the filename all the abilities are taking effect and the gameplay isn't slowed down anymore.

One last question though. You mentioned having to copy an HLA table over but im only running SoA (Hoping to get expansion soon). Is this still necessary? and if so then how do I go about doing that because I dont even have a custom HLA table made.

Mike you rock :suspect:. After changing the filename all the abilities are taking effect and the gameplay isn't slowed down anymore.

Glad to hear things are working for you now. :blush:

One last question though. You mentioned having to copy an HLA table over but im only running SoA (Hoping to get expansion soon). Is this still necessary? and if so then how do I go about doing that because I dont even have a custom HLA table made.

If you don't have a custom one, you should change this line to one of the original tables:

// HLA table to use; see LUABBR.2da
~G_3~

Just replace G_3 here with Ba0 (the default bard HLA table), forget about COPYing anything, and the mod should work on both SoA and ToB installs.

hello :D

Is there a way, for a cleric kit, to forbid some spells, removing thems from the divine spellbook ?

Or to assign a personnal "divine spells gained" files to the kit ?

I try to make a rp cleric kit which cannot use "heal and restore" spells, but the effect 172 : "Spell : remove spell" seems doesn't work :-/

i've tried to decrypt how Divine remixe do that, but it's very hard to understand :-/

Note : i don't want alter ALL the clerics : only the one created using my planned kit.

Edited by deratiseur
Guest narcotyc

Hey :D

I've just read the 'Limitations of the engine' part and now I wonder... is it really impossible to make a kit involving a sorcerer? I thought about a multiclass Fighter/Sorcerer, so will this be absolutely impossible?

Besides this I've got another problem, some of those files you need for the kit creation do not appear in my override (ABDCDSRQ.2da, ABDCSCRQ.2da, ALIGNMNT.2da, CLASWEAP.2da) whereas others do (WEAPPROF.2da, ABCLASRQ.2da). Is this a common problem? And is there a common solution to it? Would be nice if someone could answer these two questions..

Hey :)

I've just read the 'Limitations of the engine' part and now I wonder... is it really impossible to make a kit involving a sorcerer? I thought about a multiclass Fighter/Sorcerer, so will this be absolutely impossible?

Making a multi- or dual-class sorcerer is impossible, but kitting sorcerers is doable (though the kit will not appear on the character creation screen). I don't think it would be too difficult to create a kit that makes them decent in combat, but you might run into trouble giving them restrictions to balance their new abilities.

Besides this I've got another problem, some of those files you need for the kit creation do not appear in my override (ABDCDSRQ.2da, ABDCSCRQ.2da, ALIGNMNT.2da, CLASWEAP.2da) whereas others do (WEAPPROF.2da, ABCLASRQ.2da). Is this a common problem? And is there a common solution to it? Would be nice if someone could answer these two questions..

You should use a program like Near Infinity to extract these files from the game resources.

Guest nekritius

Hello this is my first time taking a crack and making a kit. I'm going through CamDawg's tutorial and feel as though I'm actually getting somewhere. I did get stuck on the fourth part though. The reason, does the copy commands continue into the .tp2 file? e.g. MyMod.tp2?

I have it easy, yet I have it difficult. Is it possible to modify an existing wizard kit? You mentioned that a new wizard kit could be made by replacing or disabling another one.

What I want to do is modify the transmuter kit, but rather than having school of opposition as abjuration give up Illusion & Enchantment instead. Abjuration is perhaps one of the stronger schools in BG2 and has a lot of spells. There aren't enough high level spells dedicated to alteration. I figure giving up the 2 schools will make up the balance.

Another point--lower resistance is Abjuration/Alteration. This is silly because whether you specialize in abjuration or alteration the spell becomes unavailable. There may have been another spell belonging to those two schools.

Anyway, that was my tangent. Is this possible through this process then? If so, are there any tips, comments, or help you can offer?

Thank you.

Guest nekritius

Another quick question, in working on my modified transmuter kit on the tutorial you append 19 columns to 25STWEAP.2da. Yet in viewing 25STWEAP.2da under transmuter there are 21. Is this a big deal, am I missing something, or what's going on here?