stutter problem

berelinde

So far, I'm enjoying the mod tremendously.

I just wanted to make you aware of a slight problem I've been having. When Amber is in the party, there is a stutter in the game. By this, I mean that people's movements are slowed and jerky, and even the pendulum on the clock does not move smoothly.

Ruth's First Rule of Troubleshooting: only change one thing at a time.

So, I started a new game, with all the same characters, substituting Yoshimo for Amber. No stutter. I send Yoshimo to the Copper Coronet, pick up Amber, and I get a stutter as soon as she joins. I have not yet tried kicking her out to see if the stutter goes away.

Other mods have had this same problem, and have found solutions. I know nothing about computers or the IE, so I'm no help.

Has anyone else had this happen?

It's probably a banter/scripted talk with true conditions in the script but ones that aren't in the dialogue code (meaning that Amber tries to talk to Yoshimo again and again but can't actually start the talk). It's probably caused by a typo in the code, which I'm sure Meira and Darios will deal with.

Hmmm... I may have some ideas on what might be causing this, but I'll need some more info from you.

First of all, does the stutter occur always and all the time when Amber is in the party (right from the moment she joins) or does it begin at some point later on?

When the stuttering occurs, does Amber or some other member of the party keep turning towards someone else in the party?

Do you have any kind of "convenience mods" installed, such as the multiromance patch that could potentially be endlessly switching some variable back after Amber has switched it to some value?

Does switching the party AI on and off affect the stuttering in any way?

Who do you have in the party besides Amber?

What kind of a machine are you playing on? (How old is it, what are it's technical specs, ie. processor, amount of memory etc.)

If you can answer these questions, we can start to figure out the possible culprit for the stuttering.

Hmmm... I may have some ideas on what might be causing this, but I'll need some more info from you.

First of all, does the stutter occur always and all the time when Amber is in the party (right from the moment she joins) or does it begin at some point later on?

When the stuttering occurs, does Amber or some other member of the party keep turning towards someone else in the party?

Do you have any kind of "convenience mods" installed, such as the multiromance patch that could potentially be endlessly switching some variable back after Amber has switched it to some value?

Does switching the party AI on and off affect the stuttering in any way?

Who do you have in the party besides Amber?

What kind of a machine are you playing on? (How old is it, what are it's technical specs, ie. processor, amount of memory etc.)

If you can answer these questions, we can start to figure out the possible culprit for the stuttering.

Always occurs? The stutter always occurs when Amber is in the party, from the moment she joins. It's most visible during movement, but it does slow things down a bit.

Turning toward another player? No. Just walking around. Banter occurs just fine.

Multi-romance? No. I knew it was incompatible, so when I did the full re-install, I never installed any multi-romance components.

Party AI dependent? No. All the time, AI on or off.

Who besides Amber: Player 1, Player 2, Anomen, Kelsey, Jaheira

Computer data:

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHz

Memory: 512 (don't remember the appropriate units, but it was the same as the default memory for a computer we just bought--but on that one we upgraded)

Operating System: XP home 2002

I'm sorry, but I can't tell you what sound or video cards I have. I don't know how to look it up, and boyfriend is no where near awake enough to answer a question like that this close to waking up.

Hmmm... That's strange. We thought it might be related to the fact that Amber's script *is* somewhat heavy, but since the problem does not occur on either of our computers and yours is at least as fast as they are (our 2nd one is actually quite a bit slower), it seems unlikely. If bantering occurs normally and no character seems to be attempting to talk to another character (i.e. turning towards it), it should not be a discrepancy between the script and the dialog files.

Could you please send us a save game in which the stuttering occurs on your system, so that we could have a look at it (what variables are set, etc.) and try to replicate the behaviour.

The problem may have been item related. I took everything off the characters but weapons and armor, and the problem seems to have cleared up. I"m sending a save-game anyway, to see if you can duplicate it on your computer. It's most visible when someone in the party is equipped with boots of speed.

try to clear your cache and then reload your game.

also you can drop all ambers stuff and see if the stutter stops, if it does then add her stuff back 1 at a time and see if the stutter starts again

ronin

we posted at the same time

does it stutter if someone is wearing the boots and amber is not in the party?

No, the stutter only happens when Amber is in the party. I will try taking off her unique items and see if that helps.

On further inspection, I see that the stutter is still happening, but it isn't as noticeable because people are moving slower. And before you ask, I got the boots by consoling in boots of speed for everyone because I hate watching the characters walk about.

If the problem was a clogged override folder, wouldn't it affect other games that don't involve Amber? Maybe I'll try kicking her out and see if the problem goes away.

As an aside, I had this problem in a game with Saerileth, too, but that was caused by sloppy installation on my part. In this case, I know for a fact that I did a clean install and installed everything in the correct order.

Why don't I send my WeiDU log so you can see if I've got too many mods installed. I sort of doubt it, since I'm running with more or less the same kits as your playtesters, but if it helps, I'd be happy to send it.

Just let me know, because I don't want to fill up your inbox without your permission.

Umm, I am only partially computer literate. I'm a quick learner, so I've been improving my skills at a good rate, but I still don't know how to do everything.

I don't actually know *how* to clear my cache.

(sheepish grin)

Would you tell me how, please?

Archived