Amber has stopped talking

Gaheir

Congratulations! So far the mod has been great!

I have gotten a fair bit into the game and Amber has stopped talking! Well, she is talking (script is appearing) but there is no sound. I can think of nothing that might have triggered this. The only Amber specific activity is converting the wyvern skin to robes, but I had already dealt with this merchant before. (A nice addition-a little fun and nothing overwhelming!)

Hopefully, the solution is simple and I'm just not clever enough.

Thanks, and congratulations again on an excellent mod!

I have gotten a fair bit into the game and Amber has stopped talking!

What was the las topic she initiated a conversation about?

Can you click talk her?

Are you attempting the romance path or friendsip?

If you know how to use the CLUA console for variables can you give me the value of M#AmberRomanceActive (GLOBAL) and M#AmberTalk (Locals).

Well, she is talking (script is appearing) but there is no sound. 

I need you to elaborate this a bit. :) Do you mean that she starts talking but an empty dialog box pops up? Or that she has no voiced lines? Or that there's no music?

What had been happening was that instead of vocalizing, script would appear anytime I clicked on her or attempted a conversation. I just re-installed Amber and she is talking again. I should have tried that earlier.

Sorry for the post-the solution was straightforward.

What had been happening was that instead of vocalizing, script would appear anytime I clicked on her or attempted a conversation.  I just re-installed Amber and she is talking again.  I should have tried that earlier.

Sorry for the post-the solution was straightforward.

Are you referring to the response sounds that NPCs make when you click them (I can't remember any off the top of my head as an example)? Were they replaced with random(?) strings of text appearing when you clicked Amber? If that is the case, it was probably that the string references in her cre file no longer pointed to the right strings in the dialog.tlk. Usually this also results in her name being replaced by some weird string in dialogs.

This is exactly what the string fixer is for; if Amber's name and other cre strings get messed up again, just press SHIFT-K, and the problem should be corrected. A reinstall will also do the same (but with a lot more trouble). If actual dialogs had for some reason got mangled, then a reinstall is indeed pretty much the only solution.

I was getting the random script when clicking her, and no voice when speaking with her. While the group was fatigued and commenting, her comments were written rather than spoken.

I will remember the the K trick should the problem come up again.

Thanks

I have no place speaking, here, I know, since I have had every imaginable complication with every mod I've ever tried to install. It's what I like to call the JML factor ("Just My Luck").

Are you playing on more than one computer? If so, I bet your mods are installed in different orders. That always causes weirdness on the slave computers.

I've also gotten weirdness like you describe when I've had SK open while installing.

Just a thought.

I've also gotten weirdness like you describe when I've had SK open while installing.

Yep, I believe that's the most common reason for funky dialogue. I don't know if it would be possible to have WeiDU to recognise if Shadowkeeper, Nearinfinity or the game itself was running before it starts to install.

Archived