Amber doesn't like me

Guest Tiggs

Guest Tiggs

Do you need to do anything in particular to start Amber's romance? I rescued her from the dungeon and since then I've cleared the de'Arnise keep, solved the Umar Hills mystery, saved Trademeet and a bunch of other quests (I'm at day 9, game time), but the only conversation I got from Amber was the one about the stars. M#AmberMatch and M#AmberRomanceActive are both set to 1. I have a bunch of mods installed, but nothing that should interfer.

Do you need to do anything in particular to start Amber's romance? I rescued her from the dungeon and since then I've cleared the de'Arnise keep, solved the Umar Hills mystery, saved Trademeet and a bunch of other quests (I'm at day 9, game time), but the only conversation I got from Amber was the one about the stars. M#AmberMatch and M#AmberRomanceActive are both set to 1. I have a bunch of mods installed, but nothing that should interfer.

Can you give me value of M#AmberTalk? It's a LOCALS variable, so you need to be sure to have Amber selected when you use the CLUA console to get it.

By 'dungeon', do you mean the prison in government district? If you did can you give me the vaule of GLOBAL M#JillBracelet?

There are two talks about the stars (that are not dependent on each other). I assume that the one you got was the non-romantic one, that starts: "Look at the stars, <GABBER>. They are so pale and calm. Sometimes I wonder if they serve any other purpose besides comforting a troubled mind?".

Guest Tiggs
Can you give me value of  M#AmberTalk? It's a LOCALS variable, so you need to be sure to have Amber selected when you use the CLUA console to get it. 

I get the message that the variable doesn't even exist. That's not good, eh?

By 'dungeon', do you mean the prison in government district? If you did can you give me the vaule of GLOBAL M#JillBracelet?

Yes, I meant the prison. Don't know why I wrote dungeon. :) M#JillBracelet is set to 9, and I did the quest to get her bracelet from the guards - forgot to mention that before.

There are two talks about the stars (that are not dependent on each other). I assume that the one you got was the non-romantic one, that starts: "Look at the stars, <GABBER>. They are so pale and calm. Sometimes I wonder if they serve any other purpose besides comforting a troubled mind?".

Yes, that's the one. That is the only thing I've heard from Amber after the bracelet quest, except for one banter with Aerie.

Hmmm... Looks like the good old IE-refusing-to-set-the-M#AmberRomance-timer-bug has resurfaced once again. This was fixed and secured at least twice during the beta testing. :)

Set M#AmberRomance GLOBAL to anything (like 5). That should kick the second talk right in.

Do you remember who in you party talked to the black market thief when you went to the thieves guild to get the bracelet? How much did you pay for the bracelet? Did you take a look in the special selection right away, without braking off the dialogue first?

Darios coded some alternate dialogue options depending on the class and stats of the character talking to the thief and maybe there is still a hole somewhere that lets you through without setting that crucial timer.

Guest Tiggs
Do you remember who in you party talked to the black market thief when you went to the thieves guild to get the bracelet? How much did you pay for the bracelet? Did you take a look in the special selection right away, without braking off the dialogue first?

It was my main char talking to the thief, a fighter with quite high stats. I believe I paid 1500gp for it and I never looked at the regular store.

Thanks for the help. I hope it'll work so I can finally see the romance - I like what little I've seen of Amber so far and would really love to see the rest. :)

Well, I had exactly the same problem. Glad to see it's not just me, and setting that global variable fixed it, so..

At any rate, in my case I offered 1000 gold and she accepted immediately. I also checked the special selection before exiting the conversation. Hope it is useful to you.

If you want to take a look at the savegame, just ask.

:)

I'll have to some serious engineering to that black market thief for version 2.

(Wonders why the hell she's stubbornly trying to set the timer in the (obviously) unreliable and branched dialog and not in Amber's script.) :D

Guest Guest

I had the same problem as well; setting the global did fix it.

Was using a monk with decent enough attributes (18 wis, 12 int, 18 cha due to ring, I think), paid 1500, didn't look at the store at all. Just in case it helps.

Hmmm. Amber isn't talking to Player 2 in my game either, but I figured it was just because boyfriend and I haven't played that much together recently.

And as I'm now working a lot, it may be a week or 2 before we can get to it.

Sigh.

Real life bites, sometimes..

And as you already know, I've already hit every bug it was possible to hit. But at least you have kindly supplied the fix here.

Oookay, so I quess it really isn't a hickup. Umm... anyone (besides the betatesters) here to who the timer actually got set on it's own?  :)

Worked fine for me. The PC spoke to the shadow thief, he is a Blade with decent stats and had the Ring of Human Influence at the time. I really don't remember how much I had to pay her to get it and I believe I went directly into the "special items store" and picked up a few things.

The only real problem I have is the music. I hadn't notice it previously because I normally turn the music volume slider to a lower setting as well as speaker volume, but when I saw the thread on it I turned it back up and haven't heard her music. I do have her music folder and there are files in it. At that point I was just too far into the game to worry about it. If I start noticing her music not playing with the increased volume settings I'll let you know in the appropriate thread.

Oookay, so I quess it really isn't a hickup. Umm... anyone (besides the betatesters) here to who the timer actually got set on it's own?  :)

Yeah, so far as I know it worked for me. She's only talked to player 2 twice so far, but I haven't gotten very far in the game. However I assume that means the timer started. Hopefully.

hmm welll.... a question I'd like to ask.

I usually do every single quest I can in chapter 2, included watcher's keep, and since it's been a few hours since amber last talked to me, I was wondering: is there a limit to the romance progression if I stay in chapter 2?

Meaning, do I have to go on if I want the romance to progress? Just asking cause it will be many hours before I'm done with chapter 2, so..

Just for record, the m#ambertalk local variable is set at 58 now

hmm welll.... a question I'd like to ask.

I usually do every single quest I can in chapter 2, included watcher's keep, and since it's been a few hours since amber last talked to me, I was wondering: is there a limit to the romance progression if I stay in chapter 2?

Meaning, do I have to go on if I want the romance to progress? Just asking cause it will be many hours before I'm done with chapter 2, so..

Just for record, the m#ambertalk local variable is set at 58 now

You should try resting in an inn to kick in the fifth lovetalk. :D If that does nothing, she does not like you well enough - yet. In that case you should flirt more and tell how valuable companion she is. :)

Second to the last lovetalk is post Spellhold. There's not really limitation how many regular talks or lovetalks you need to have before Spellhold. There's some Underdark specific stuff that'll occur only if the romance is serious enough, though. :D

Archived