Amber doesn't like me

Guest Tiggs

The only real problem I have is the music.  I hadn't notice it previously because I normally turn the music volume slider to a lower setting as well as speaker volume, but when I saw the thread on it I turned it back up and haven't heard her music.  I do have her music folder and there are files in it.  At that point I was just too far into the game to worry about it.  If I start noticing her music not playing with the increased volume settings I'll let you know in the appropriate thread.

The music should play during talks Amber initiates. There's couple exceptions; short interjection type comments to the game events / places; the bath lovetalk :); and a chapter talk that occurs right after you exit the Underdark to the temple ruins.

Guest Guest

Well, that explains it all. I never rest in an inn, really :D

It's just that when you hafve played a game soo many times, you trend to do the things always in the same way...

All seem to be progressing nicely so far... and I must say that the talks and everything else too is really well done. My compliments.. It will break my heart when I finish the game.. knowing I must wait for the ToBpart :)

Maybe there's indeed something wrong with certain Amber lovetalks, because I think she's pretty much kaputt in my game. The last lovetalk I had was the one where she's thinking about ending the budding relationship with the protagonist, and where you can persuade her to give them a chance nevertheless. After that I've heard nothing from her. Flirts and all the other things you can access through the talk icon seem to be working fine, but that's it.

I left the game running today and went for a walk with my dog, after which I read the latest Helsingin Sanomat and drank a cup of Chinese green tea. Plenty of time for new talks to kick in, but it didn't help. Then I systematically clicked through all the flirt choices, beginning from the very first, and repeated it a couple of times. I even told Amber repeatedly how valuable a companion she is, but to no avail. Then I tried resting at inns, forests, docks, backyards, streets, castle courts, forests and just about every possible and impossible corner of Faerun you can go to in chapter 2, but alas, nothing. Oh, and I've been a perfect gentleman to her all trhough the mod. At this point I got tired and quitted the game.

Am I doing something wrong? I do hope this is not a bug, because I'm really starting to like your mod and I think your writing style is excellent. But it wouldn't be the first time that an early version of a mod screws up my gaem, so... ;)

P.S. Sorry for any typos and general madness, it's about 2 AM and I'm somewhat drunk... :) (The emoticon says beer but actually I've been drinking whiskey.)

Maybe there's indeed something wrong with certain Amber lovetalks, because I think she's pretty much kaputt in my game. The last lovetalk I had was the one where she's thinking about ending the budding relationship with the protagonist, and where you can persuade her to give them a chance nevertheless. After that I've heard nothing from her. Flirts and all the other things you can access through the talk icon seem to be working fine, but that's it.

I left the game running today and went for a walk with my dog, after which I read the latest Helsingin Sanomat and drank a cup of Chinese green tea. Plenty of time for new talks to kick in, but it didn't help. Then I systematically clicked through all the flirt choices, beginning from the very first, and repeated it a couple of times. I even told Amber repeatedly how valuable a companion she is, but to no avail. Then I tried resting at inns, forests, docks, backyards, streets, castle courts, forests and just about every possible and impossible corner of Faerun you can go to in chapter 2, but alas, nothing. Oh, and I've been a perfect gentleman to her all trhough the mod. At this point I got tired and quitted the game.

Am I doing something wrong? I do hope this is not a bug, because I'm really starting to like your mod and I think your writing style is excellent. But it wouldn't be the first time that an early version of a mod screws up my gaem, so... :D

P.S. Sorry for any typos and general madness, it's about 2 AM and I'm somewhat drunk...  :) (The emoticon says beer but actually I've been drinking whiskey.)

I'm afraid the lovetalks are more in Meira's territory, and you'll have to wait until the evening when she gets home from work for a solution. But meanwhile, I think it would help troubleshooting if you checked the values of the M#AmberTalk and M#AmberLike Local variables and the values of the M#AmberMatch and M#AmberRomanceActive Globals. If you could also tell the CHA, INT and WIS values of your protagonist, that would help finding out where things went wrong.

And just to be clear, is the last lovetalk you had the one where Amber first apologised for getting carried away in the previous lovetalk and then goes on to tell you that she doesn't think this relationship is a good idea? And if it was, do you remember what was the end result of the talk, i.e. what was it that Amber ended up saying to you? That particular lovetalk has quite a number of different outcomes, and *is* one of the "breaking points" of the romance story-wise. But whatever happens, it should definitely not just leave you hanging.

But if you can supply the aforementioned information, I'm sure Meira can figure out what happened. ;)

Character info:

Elf Fighter Mage, level 13/13

Int: 18

Wis: 12

Cha: 15

(If this clever pointy-eared Adonis doesn't appeal to women, I don't know who does...) :)

M#AmberMatch = 1

M#AmberRomanceActive = 1

M#AmberTalk = 58

M#AmberLike = 110

(Those numbers are like Hebrew to me...) ;)

And yes, the lovetalk in question is the one you mentioned. I distinctly remember having selected only the lines that lead to a positive outcome (at least according to my logic - I hadn't yet opened the bottle of Jim Beam, so I wasn't under the influence!). Anyway, Amber's response was that she'd be a fool if she didn't pursue the relationship and see what fate has in store for both of them, or something like that. It may be just me, but I wouldn't use those words to end a relationship.

Hope that helps. It's been several hours (real time) since there was any kind of automatically triggered interaction between the characters, so it's SNAFU time, I think... :D

And thanks for your willingness to help. I've noticed on several forums that it's easier to get valuable aid from people who aren't getting paid for their work than calling the helpdesks of certain companies... here's to all of you modders! :D

Character info:

Elf Fighter Mage, level 13/13

Int: 18

Wis: 12

Cha: 15

(If this clever pointy-eared Adonis doesn't appeal to women, I don't know who does...)  :D

M#AmberMatch = 1

M#AmberRomanceActive = 1

M#AmberTalk = 58

M#AmberLike = 110

(Those numbers are like Hebrew to me...)  :)

Well, just by looking at those numbers, I would venture to guess that saying a few more nice things to Amber might cause her to have something to say to you the next time you rest in a decent inn. We are still in the process of fine-tuning the calibration of the AmberLike functionality, which is exactly the reason why this kind of feedback is important to us. But if I were you, I'd keep giving her positive attention. ;)

Hmm... The problem is that I've said and done every nice thing available on the list to Amber, with no concrete results. I've also tried resting at several inns, in every different quality room available. At some point clicking the flirts over and over again is simply not enjoyable anymore. Believe me, I've done it so many times already that my mouse button is probably going to break in half!

(For the record, I just finished a long round of clicking with a grand total of 50 different flirts and 30 "Amber-you're-a-valuable-traveling-companions".) Result: Nothing. Nada. Nichts. Ei niin mittään.

So can't I just change some of those mystic numbers so that the next talk is properly activated? Because at this rate I'm afraid something will click in my head first before me and my friend Jim have clicked through enough flirts... :)

Hmm... The problem is that I've said and done every nice thing available on the list to Amber, with no concrete results. I've also tried resting at several inns, in every different quality room available. At some point clicking the flirts over and over again is simply not enjoyable anymore. Believe me, I've done it so many times already that my mouse button is probably going to break in half!

(For the record, I just finished a long round of clicking with a grand total of 50 different flirts and 30 "Amber-you're-a-valuable-traveling-companions".) Result: Nothing. Nada. Nichts. Ei niin mittään.

So can't I just change some of those mystic numbers so that the next talk is properly activated? Because at this rate I'm afraid something will click in my head first before me and my friend Jim have clicked through enough flirts...  :)

Hmmm... that's just weird. Could you check what your M#AmberLike is after all that flirting and complimenting? I don't know the forcetalk options all that well (Meira's territory again), but it might be that there just are not any AmberLike-raising options available to you at the moment. If it is still 110, you could try setting it at 111 and rest at an inn just to see whether the problem lies there or somewhere else. It might just be that we'll have to do some tweaking of the Amber-Like "awards" in some of the previous talks, but if setting the M#AmberLike Local to 111 (and resting at an inn) does nothing, there's something else askew. If it does help, there is also something funky in the forcetalks.

You are absolutely correct in that simply clicking the flirts over and over again should not be required. That was not our intention; they are there just to give you the chance to make up for some unfortunate words or to let Amber know that you truly value her.

Ummm... I probably should increase number of flirt responses where you can increment M#AmberLike variable. It's interesting how you've managed to keep it so low, though, with that high charisma the base value of that variable should've been 103. However, I've understood that IE sometimes tends to give you the same RandomNum() over and over again; that might have affected which flirt responses you got.

It's good to get feedback like this from the players, it help to calibrate the AmberLike variable to reflect players actions better. :)

Well, setting Amberlike at 111 did the trick - I got the next talk instantly when resting at an inn. Variables look like this now:

M#AmberMatch = 1

M#AmberRomanceActive = 1

M#AmberTalk = 60

M#AmberLike = 116

I checked them before changing the AmberLike variable. My dozens of clicks didn't have any impact at all on AmberLike which remained stubbornly at 110, so there's definitely something wrong with the flirts. (Or something wrong with something - I have absolutely no idea how all those variables are linked to each other!)

Do you need any files from me check this problem? Seems I'm the only who's come across it (now lucky me), but if it happened to me, it can happen to someone else too. If I can spare anyone the pain of clicking those flirts all for naught, I'll gladly do it.

(By the way, I probably scored a new world record of flirt clicking in BG2...) ;)

Thanks for your help. :)

Guest Guest

got a problem with amber stopping to talk as well.

she stopped after the talk about imoen(the one after the talk about sarevok).

i tried rest in an inn, advance real time and using SK setting AmberRomance to 1, but nothing helped.

another weird thing i guess is that i cant find the globals amberlike and ambertalk, are they supposed to appear later or is my install messed up?

i am pretty clueless by now, btw can it be that the fact i set all my pcs stats to 25 messes up something?

got a problem with amber stopping to talk as well.

she stopped after the talk about imoen(the one after the talk about sarevok).

i tried rest in an inn, advance real time and using SK setting AmberRomance to 1, but nothing helped.

another weird thing i guess is that i cant find the globals amberlike and ambertalk, are they supposed to appear later or is my install messed up?

i am pretty clueless by now, btw can it be that the fact i set all my pcs stats to 25 messes up something?

It's not advisable to blindly change variables if you don't know exactly what they do. :D You're in completely different place with Amber than Pekka and Keltosh above; so doing same thing as they will do absolutely nothing for you. Luckily the M#AmberRomance timer is relatively safe to mess with as it will be re-set over and over again anyway. M#AmberTalk variable, for example, is much more vulnerable to changes.

Your next move is Amber's quest which is not triggered by the same timer as the talks. Patience and staying outside in inhabited areas should do the trick. If not, we are here to help you. :)

M#AmberLike and M#AmberTalk are LOCALS variables, not GLOBAL variables, that's why you wont see then in the same window with GLOBAL variables in SK.

Buffing up your stats doesn't make a difference; as long as your CHA and INT were high enough to begin with, you're headed for the romance. If not, the friendship path is still available for you. ;)

Guest wbar41

I have read all the current posts. Some come close to answering my question, but not close enough so...

I have done everything possible [all previously mentioned fixes to inititate the Amber Romance/Flirt that are listed so far in your forum] to pursue the Amber Romance angle, but no luck. It seems like no matter what I do I can never get past the 'friendship' stage. The option to flirt with Amber never comes up. Not sure what the fix is--if anything, but is there any hope of getting this on the right track for me?:)

Archived