Amber doesn't like me

Guest Tiggs

Well, setting Amberlike at 111 did the trick - I got the next talk instantly when resting at an inn. Variables look like this now:

M#AmberMatch = 1

M#AmberRomanceActive = 1

M#AmberTalk = 60

M#AmberLike = 116

I checked them before changing the AmberLike variable. My dozens of clicks didn't have any impact at all on AmberLike which remained stubbornly at 110, so there's definitely something wrong with the flirts. (Or something wrong with something - I have absolutely no idea how all those variables are linked to each other!)

Probably not so much as something wrong with the flirts as more of an oversight of mine combined to the shortcomings of the engine. (= What ramdom number? I'll just give you 2 every time!) I'll just throw couple new chances to increment M#AmberLike for next version to make sure that nice guys get their... um ...due. :D

Are you sure that RomanceActive is still 1, BTW? Or did the script skip the morning after talk for you? If it did it's nothing to worry about, it should kick in after the next (or so) rest. That has happended to me several times in other romances too and I guess it can't be helped. :D

(By the way, I probably scored a new world record of flirt clicking in BG2...) ;)

:) Sorry about that.

I have read all the current posts. Some come close to answering my question, but not close enough so...

I have done everything possible [all previously mentioned fixes to inititate the Amber Romance/Flirt that are listed so far in your forum] to pursue the Amber Romance angle, but no luck. It seems like no matter what I do I can never get past the 'friendship' stage. The option to flirt with Amber never comes up. Not sure what the fix is--if anything, but is there any hope of getting this on the right track for me?:D

All right, lets see if we can root out what your problem is. I need you to give a bit more information for your situation to best help you. :)

What are your Character's charisma and Intelligence stats (without any items or spell boosts)? Did you modify these or are they the same as when you begun playing BG2?

He's a male, right? ;)

You said that that you never got past the friendship stage. Can you tell me what was your last conversation with Amber about?

You mentioned that the option to flirt with her never came up. Do you still get the other click talk options?

As has already been said, most of the time patience and continuing to play as normally (doing quests, visiting different areas) is all that is need to develop your relationship with Amber.

Guest Guest

ah i guess i misinterpreted alot today :)

well i made a clean install anyway because i got the messup with cromwell anyway(although i use v1.1 and installed it last of all mods). i will try another run with amber without any other mods now and see what happens. thanks for your help, i think i know now where i made some mistakes. btw great work from what ive seen so far, cant wait to see the rest ;)

Are you sure that RomanceActive is still 1, BTW?

Yes it was, but not any more. The next talk was activated with a slight delay, which is perfectly normal for BG, and also effectively destroys the right context of lovetalks such as this one. Now it was more like the day after tomorrow than the morning after, but who cares when the writing is so good as in Amber. This was one of the best "interaction" episodes I've yet seen in the wonderful world of BG modding. ;)

Hopefully the next time I post here it is to give you feedback about the whole mod rather than having to report strange problems. *knocks on wood* :)

Guest Guest

just another small question i forgot

how can have a look at the local variables? i just want to keep sort of track of how i am doing and i guess its better to know should i have another problem/question. i cant find anything in clua readme and sk doesnt show them or at least i dont know where to look.

thx in advance

I decided to make my first post in months in this thread, because it looks like other people have run into problems at approximately the same point in the mod as I have. (Did that sentence make sense?)

The point is: is Amber's flirt menu supposed to be inaccessible after the conversation about Imoen? I tried to click-to-talk and I got the "-Amber- has nothing to say to you" line.

An interjection in the Temple District also didn't work. I talked to a nobleman who said something about the priests curing a disease (I was pretty sure it was Amber-related as I think there was something about red skin); but when I clicked Continue it exited the dialogue. :)

The value of AmberLike is 107 and AmberTalk is 1 (?!). Thanks in advance for advice!

Edit: Please disregard - false alarm, apparently. I reloaded the game and click-to-talk is functioning normally. In fact, I have more options accessible now. Sorry to stir things up (or not).

Guest Nafai

Okay, now i have a problem with Amber, and i don't get it either. I just got through the kidnapping thing, went out the window and everything. I had to go to the graveyard for Nalia. Another love talk popped up, and then i've waited, rested, done about 1 million things (and paused overnight to increase the realtime variable, works with most romances) and when i check shadowkeeper there i can't seem to find and M#Amberlike. Hmm i'll post more stuff i foudn in shadow keeper

oh yeah, i'm a skald, 17 or 18 intel, 14 wis and 18 charisma ( hehe at the price of 5 str)

M#AmberMatch 1

M#AmberRescue 7

M#AmberLVL 11

M#AmberRomaceActive 1

And now what boggles meh mind,

M#AmberRomanceOUT 1

I'm thinking something is wrong there.... any help? :)

Okay, now i have a problem with Amber, and i don't get it either. I just got through the kidnapping thing, went out the window and everything. I had to go to the graveyard for Nalia. Another love talk popped up, and then i've waited, rested, done about 1 million things (and paused overnight to increase the realtime variable, works with most romances) and when i check shadowkeeper there i can't seem to find and M#Amberlike. Hmm i'll post more stuff i foudn in shadow keeper

M#AmberLike and M#AmberTalk are 'locals' variables and therefore found under the 'affects' tab in the SK.

Can you give me either the value of M#AmberTalk or tell if the last talk was the one which begins "<CHARNAME>, why did you put aside your quest..."?

And now what boggles meh mind,

M#AmberRomanceOUT    1

I'm thinking something is wrong there.... any help? :)

That's weird. That variable should be set to 0 if she's in the party. Has she been kicked out of the party for extended periods (excluding the kidnapping)? Though, since the romanceactive is still 1 you should have nothing to worry about.

Guest Guest
Probably not so much as something wrong with the flirts as more of an oversight of mine combined to the shortcomings of the engine. (= What ramdom number? I'll just give you 2 every time!)

Well in BASIC (I know, isn't my programming knowledge vast?) in order for the RND function to actually give you a random value, you have to first type in the command RANDOMIZE TIMER, and then it gives you a number based on the current time and whatnot - otherwise it just gives you that same number repeatedly. I know nothing about coding for BGII, but could it be something similiar there that prevents you from getting a truly random number? Just a thought...

Probably not so much as something wrong with the flirts as more of an oversight of mine combined to the shortcomings of the engine. (= What ramdom number? I'll just give you 2 every time!)

Well in BASIC (I know, isn't my programming knowledge vast?) in order for the RND function to actually give you a random value, you have to first type in the command RANDOMIZE TIMER, and then it gives you a number based on the current time and whatnot - otherwise it just gives you that same number repeatedly. I know nothing about coding for BGII, but could it be something similiar there that prevents you from getting a truly random number? Just a thought...

Well, RandomNum(I:Range*,I:Value*) is a scripting trigger for Infinity Engine, so there isn't whole lot I can do about it. ;) (Neither I do know exactly how it generates the random number.) I don't think it's unreliability (in a way of tending to give you the same number over and over again) has been proven. It's just that I've seen people complain that they get the same NPC initiated flirt over and over again and when I tested one of Amber's LT where a random NPC reacts to it seemed that well over half of the time I was getting the same random number generated. :)

Archived