Global Setting

Guest wbar41

Guest wbar41

I have seen a lot about 'setting the global'. Can anyone tell me exactly what to type to get the romance angle started with Amber?? I have tried everything, plus read FAQ several times. Nothing works. Help!:)

I just rummaged through everything related to the quest preceding the start of Amber's proper love/friendlship talks, and was quite astonished to find a big gaping hole where there should have been a crucial SetGlobal() command. No wonder the thing got stuck on so many people.

Seems that we'll be doing version 2 (or version 1.3 if Meira doesn't think we have enough new stuff to warrant 2 yet) sometime soon. I have no idea how and where we lost that SetGlobal(), since that part was tested quite thoroughly both by us and the beta-testers... Rather embarrassing, actually...

This is just to avoid giving anyone the impression that setting globals by hand is something that will be required to get Amber's romance to work. It's just a plain old-fashioned bug that I have hopefully squished for the next upcoming version.

I just rummaged through everything related to the quest preceding the start of Amber's proper love/friendlship talks, and was quite astonished to find a big gaping hole where there should have been a crucial SetGlobal() command. No wonder the thing got stuck on so many people.

Actually, after the bracelet quest you don't yet get lovetalks/friendship talks, but a set of 'regular' talks that are same for both paths (some are different for Player2, though). ;) And the reason for it getting stuck was most likely not the variable, but the timer (because if variable was not set correctly setting the timer would do absolutely nothing).

Anyhow, this should be fixed for version 2. :)

Guest wbar41

I did as suggested. I set the Global to 5. Doesn't work for me. Is there anything I am missing? It will not advance beyond 5 even though I have done several mini-quests since I set it to 5. Or am I just not being patient enough?:)

I did as suggested. I set the Global to 5. Doesn't work for me. Is there anything I am missing? It will not advance beyond 5 even though I have done several mini-quests since I set it to 5. Or am I just not being patient enough?:)

Can you tell me exactly where you are with Amber? Have you done the bracelet quest? You shouln't set the M#AmberRomance timer to anything unless you actually had the problem of the Amber's talks not starting after the bracelet quest. ;)

Guest Guest

Seems that we'll be doing version 2 (or version 1.3 if Meira doesn't think we have enough new stuff to warrant 2 yet) sometime soon. I have no idea how and where we lost that SetGlobal(), since that part was tested quite thoroughly both by us and the beta-testers... Rather embarrassing, actually...

This is just to avoid giving anyone the impression that setting globals by hand is something that will be required to get Amber's romance to work. It's just a plain old-fashioned bug that I have hopefully squished for the next upcoming version.

I'd like to fix this bug in my install, can you tell me which BCS file should be altered? (so I don't waste time looking through all Amber scripts)

Nothing really, what Darios didn't realise above was to look in the script that we append to baldur.bcs - the variable he's says is missing is actually set there.

There is, however an odd (meaning that it's not consistent) bug that means that Amber's talk *timer* does not get set for the first time. This does not occur to all players, because as far as I can see it's just IE occasionally ignoring my timer setting at the end of the dialogue where Amber gets her bracelet back, so you shouldn't really do anything unless she doesn't say anything after that.

The relevant timer is called M#AmberRomance GLOBAL and setting it to anything smallish (from 1-100) should kick the first talk within no time. I'm sorry for the inconvenience for those that hit this bug - I've changed the timer setting for the upcoming version 2 so that it's more secured.

Archived