New Mod? bg1npc - BG2 /Flirt pack continuity

vtancredi

Cutscenes is probably not the best solution because you have PC choices incerted relatively often. In terms of coding that will require a sequence of numerous cutscenes, because every time you give PC the control, you have to get out of cutscene mode. Jaheira will be able to partcipate in the dialogue even if she is not in the party, but stays in her cage within sight - you will just need to use a different dialogue file to assign her remarks to. However, it might be better to give Imoen and Jaheira ownly minor interjections, concentrating the dialogue with Minsc on finding out the truth, and handling other NPCs reactions in separate dialogues. Otherwise you risk tangling your PC in a one very long exchange when he is clicking and clicking and clicking, and still there is not enough said.

Another thing you might want to consider is extending PCs choices. At the moment in your text, PC sometimes only has one remark he can pick. This is generally not a good idea, especially in a conversation that is as emotional as this one.

I, again, recommend for you to take a look at the structures and coding rules before writing the texts. The two are inter-related, really, and help you build dialogues, especially in regards to PC choices. Otherwise, you might end up writing pages for each path and then trying to figure out what goes where and what connects to what etc when coding, which (trust me) can be a nightmare.

I agree with Domi -- and when she is saying "look at the coding", she does have great points (and very hard-won advice). Reading back through the thread, I can see Domi and I are taking different slants on how to build your idea into a mod.

I went off in the direction of "if you start writing the text the community will polish it, code it, and set it up for distribution in this thread".

Domi is taking the "If you take the time to look at how things work and write it, the community can provide feedback and will help you with things you don't understand".

Given the personal nature of content authorship, I think Domi's way is better -- and more rewarding. You would have your own work, your own mod, in your own name, with as much or as little community feedback as you choose. Don't worry, it isn't quicksand, and if a non-programmer musician like me can begin to understand this coding stuff then certainly you can!

Nope; what these folks want is not a change in current behavior, but a way of smoothing over the BG1NPC to BG2 transition with more references like the ones you indicate. Although you may want to check your reference -- I am pretty sure Domi wrote more open-ended talks with Kivan to avoid messing with back-story issues. I would never catch something like that, since I am definitely a Dynaheir fan. If you think one of Kivan's talks is scripting Dynaheir as a love, better let her know so she can adjust it!

There is no incompatibility there. If player wants to mention Dynaheir as his lover to Kivan, he can, even if he did not mention it to Minsc.

Just letting you know I am alive and haven't forgotten about this, far from it. I am planning to rework the dialogue that I wrote into a more compatible version as Domi suggested. I have some learning to do on how to script, and I have a lot of temptation distracting me right now, as I am close to finishing BG2:SOA for the first time. I thought it might be a good idea to play the whole thing before making a mod for it :p

Archived