Custom NPCs

Grunker

Hey all.

I'm nearly finished with yet another playthrough of Baldur's Gate, and will soon continue with a playthrough of Shadows of Amn and Throne of Bhaal. This time around, I want some modded NPCs to come along for the ride. Trouble is, there is a huge number of NPCs out there, and it is hard to tell which are good and which aren't. I thought I'd let the people of PPG recommed some for me :)

I will be taking Jaheira and Minsc along, and Imoen once I get her out of spellhold. So here's what I need:

1) 1 NPC to follow me until I rescue Imoen (doesn't matter if this NPC is SoA only)

2) 1 NPC to follow me through the entire game (has to have content for both SoA and ToB)

3) 1 NPC to follow me through the enitre game, and romance (has to be female, has to be romancable by a half-elf fighter/mage of neutral good alignment, has to have content for both SoA and ToB)

The NPCs does not necessarily have to have personal quests, but must have plenty of banters and interjections, plus banters with Jaheira, Minsc and Imoen (though NPC #1 does not necessarily need banters with Imoen). The banters and interjections must be of good quality.

NPC #2 can be traded for one NPC with SoA content only, and one with ToB content only, if this is necessary.

Either NPC #2 or #3 has to be a wizard or sorcerer (specialized, multiclassed or otherwise).

So far, I have played with Saerileth (great mod, by the way) and I have played the start of The Longer Road (I found the dialogue was handled unprofessionally, but this may only be the case in the start of the mod, as I have not played further).

Any suggestions on which NPCs I should let tag along?

Thanks,

Grunker ;)

I posted to your duplicate topic on the PPG board.

I'm going to reiterate part of it here, tho.

Your post is vaguely intimidating. I would hesitate to make any reccomendations because I would not want my suggestions to disappoint you.

I will also restate my suggestion to only have one mod NPC in the party at a time to maximize banter.

Having a ToB condition is something that limits your choice.

Yea, I know, but Saerileth was fantastic to play with, and she had ToB content, so it must be possible :)

Petrush was supposed to have ToB content to, so obviously, there are a few people who still thinks about such things ;)

I posted to your duplicate topic on the PPG board.

I'm going to reiterate part of it here, tho.

Your post is vaguely intimidating. I would hesitate to make any reccomendations because I would not want my suggestions to disappoint you.

I will also restate my suggestion to only have one mod NPC in the party at a time to maximize banter.

It wasn't my intention to intimidate anyone, I just like to be specific, because I, myself, hates answering non-specific posts. I'm sorry if it came out a little harsh :)

Your suggestion is a good one - I understand that after going through Domi's list.

I'd say that it is not really necessary; firstly, mod NPCs have tons of content with the protagonist, or you can always opt for the ones that have cross-mod content.

Grunker, the main limiting factor on your choices is that female NPC romance from SoA into ToB. So, it's pretty much Tashia or Saerileth. Since you indicated that you like Saerileth, you can always go with Sillara's full squad, and take Tsujatha and Yasraena along, to swap Yasraena for Imoen. Sillara's squad will have cross-mod banter content, so you won't lose out on anything.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Jaheira and Minsc are just so integrated in my SoA-experience, that I really couldn't do without them :)

Perhaps take the three NPCs you mentioned besides Saerileth, swap the one you mentioned for Imoen, and romance Jaheira?

The only bad thing modding has resulted in, is the many hours spent on contemplating how to configure your next playthrough ;)

You say that like it's a bad thing...

You probably have no idea how many save-games I have on file for NPCs that I wasn't sure about.

I would start a game, run with a few NPCs for a while, decide if I liked them or not, and either finish the game or swap them out. In some cases, it was worth starting a new adventure.

Jaheira and Minsc are just so integrated in my SoA-experience, that I really couldn't do without them

I always encourage people to try at least one game without Imoen, Minsc and Jaheira in SoA and with the most unusual combinations in BG1. It is a liberating experience, really. After all, even I played the whole of BG1 without Kivan. The game is repetitive as is, having the same faces around every time makes it even more so. Integrated or not, they are thankfully not "have to have" a-la KOTOR. But then again, I test more than play, and if I did not mod, I doubt I would have played any game more than twice. I like new stuff.

Archived