Unremovable traps

WizWom

It seems the engine interprets 100% difficult traps as not being disarmable;; I have not checked if it does the same for 101%, but it does not do it for 99%. I propose a tweak that all 100% traps bet set down to 99%. It seems crazy that a theif with, say, 250% disarm traps can't deactivate these.

The only legitimate traps with 100% or greater difficulty are there for a reason. If there's a generic trap that has 100% difficulty, then it's a bug. If there's a trap that purposely can't be disarmed, but you can detect it, then that's most likely a bug (there are a few exceptions to this).

The only legitimate traps with 100% or greater difficulty are there for a reason. If there's a generic trap that has 100% difficulty, then it's a bug. If there's a trap that purposely can't be disarmed, but you can detect it, then that's most likely a bug (there are a few exceptions to this).

There are a few:

The picture in Neb's house in the Bridge district; the 4 traps in the prison in Saradush. Setting the Saraduch traps to 99%, you get about a 50% chance to get snapped as you disarm successfully; but I think there are undetectable traps nearby, too.

The fixpack should take care of Neb's goo trap.

I was 50/50 about the castle cellar traps, and the fixpack doesn't alter them AFAIK. They appear to have been made intentionally undisarmable, but I can see arguments for both sides.

What about those 2 damn wall-smash traps in Spellhold? As far as I can tell, they don't serve any purpose except to really piss people off, especially considering that there's a good chance that their last Auto-Save was leaving the Vulgar Monkey. Simply shrinking the "trigger area" to that actually shown on the screen--meaning, a Thief can actually get close enough to disarm it without being killed instantly--would be nice.

They cannot be disarmed. The PP crush trap and Irenicus' pedestal traps were the exceptions I was referring to when saying that undisarmable traps shouldn't be detectable.

It has nothing to do with the trigger region. If you try to disarm the trap, you will fail, and the trap will go off.

The spellhold trap *is* rather annoying, though. For some reason, the trap will endlessly reset in my game, so sending in the summoned monsters or waiting for the Yuan-Ti to trip it on their way to me still gets the party squashed. The only way I've found to survive it is to Ctrl-J past it.

The trap does reset, but there is no reason to go down that corridor. You can go south, then west, then north to get to one side (near the face riddles), and opposite to the other (near the room with the golem and bag of holding).

Archived