Monster levels wrong

Lucky for us, unless the creature is of a playable class, the game completely ignores the level, and it has no bearing on anything.

Ah, but it DOES NOT.

You see, an 8+8 HD creature is unaffected by the need to roll a save vs. death or die instantly in a Cloudkill. A 6 HD creature has to make that roll.

So, cloudkill should not instant kill umber hulks, but instead it does.

This is a real issue. You should have to work for that 4K exp.

Excellent point.

I'm pretty sure this issue will extend well beyond umber hulks and Cloudkill, however, so Cam is the one who gets to research it!

It also depends on how much stock anybody wants to put in the dumb D&D source material (which BioWare o-so-casually ignored in most cases), I guess.

It also depends on how much stock anybody wants to put in the dumb D&D source material (which BioWare o-so-casually ignored in most cases), I guess.

Yes, thank you. No "fixing" Bioware's house rules.

Personally I am with WizWom all the way. I don't understand why fixing the flaws of Potion of Freedom is to be considered a fix (and I totally agree with it) while Umber Hulks with wrong Hit Dice can be left alone. I really fail to see the logic behind this. If we want to say that Bioware used "custom rules" and not AD&D then why not leave the Potion of Freedom or many other flaws free to stay ? (horror) :)

Personally I am with WizWom all the way. I don't understand why fixing the flaws of Potion of Freedom is to be considered a fix (and I totally agree with it) while Umber Hulks with wrong Hit Dice can be left alone. I really fail to see the logic behind this. If we want to say that Bioware used "custom rules" and not AD&D then why not leave the Potion of Freedom or many other flaws free to stay ? (horror) :)

The Potion of Freedom is pretty unambiguous in what it's supposed to do--confer the effects of Free Action. With monster levels, the source for the change is coming from P&P. Bioware diverted from P&P in many, many places throughout the game and it's unclear whether umberhulk HD is intentional or a bug. In cases like this, wthout a secondary source to indicate it's a bug we've been pretty consistent in not making changes.

Archived