Yes! I'm a moron

Shaitan

I don't seem to find anything about why the EoU fix "Romance: Bug Fixes" and the G3 fix "Make +x/+y Weapons Consistent" is gone? Did I use these in waine earlier?

I'm glad the forum is back on track :suspect:

So let me get this straight.. in order to have those features which were excellent and problem free, i have to install the Fixpack rather than the reliable and much less buggy Baldurdash... and then on top of it I no longer have the choice to install reliable G3Tweaks but have to install the 'improved' BGTweaks which is buggy (see below thread for one example of bugginess)...

I appreciate all you guys' hard work, I really do, but I wish that I had my old copies of G3Tweaks somwhere.... please, PLEASE allow the older version to be DLable so I can go back to the combo that actually works bug free: Baldurdash+G3Tweaks

http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=6923

So let me get this straight.. in order to have those features which were excellent and problem free, i have to install the Fixpack rather than the reliable and much less buggy Baldurdash... and then on top of it I no longer have the choice to install reliable G3Tweaks but have to install the 'improved' BGTweaks which is buggy (see below thread for one example of bugginess)...

I appreciate all you guys' hard work, I really do, but I wish that I had my old copies of G3Tweaks somwhere.... please, PLEASE allow the older version to be DLable so I can go back to the combo that actually works bug free: Baldurdash+G3Tweaks

SWEET! I found where the old trusty v18 of G3Tweaks is still kept. If anyone else is having problems with the BG2Tweakpack...

http://america.iegmc.net/g3/

Instead of simply complaining that something is "buggy", why not actually list what those bugs are so they (hopefully) be fixed?

(Yes I'm aware you gave an example of a bug with the Tweak Pack, but I was mainly reffering to the Fixpack.)

SWEET! I found where the old trusty v18 of G3Tweaks is still kept. If anyone else is having problems with the BG2Tweakpack...

http://america.iegmc.net/g3/

It looks like G3Tweaks has been removed. This is unfortunate, as I have wiped my game and attempting to start afresh with Baldurdash which has proven to be reliable and a universally accepted fixpack with other modders rather than using the Fixpack which is still in beta stage and unproven. With BGTweakpack no longer having the weighless weapon feature I am up the proverbial creak. Again, I'm willing to live with it rather than deal with an unproven beta fixpack that rewrites hundreds of files; I wish this wasn't the case-it really would've been nice to still have access to this component. I can install ease of use to install the romance fix, but there's no option anywhere now to install the weightless weapons.

My suggestion would be to keep these two options available in Tweakpack until Fixpack can boast that it truly is out of beta phase and has proven itself.

Instead of simply complaining that something is "buggy", why not actually list what those bugs are so they (hopefully) be fixed?

(Yes I'm aware you gave an example of a bug with the Tweak Pack, but I was mainly reffering to the Fixpack.)

The bugs are listed under the Fixpack section of the forums. My main point, Fixpack is still beta, is it not? It's unproven, and there are mods out there that are not fully compatible with it as they were written with Baldurdash in mind and haven't been updated.

The net result is at the moment we have a fixpack that is beta and not usable with some existing mods. At this stage, the older G3Tweakpack should still be available to people who choose to not install Fixpack, that's all I'm suggesting.

The bugs are listed under the Fixpack section of the forums. My main point, Fixpack is still beta, is it not? It's unproven, and there are mods out there that are not fully compatible with it as they were written with Baldurdash in mind and haven't been updated.

The net result is at the moment we have a fixpack that is beta and not usable with some existing mods. At this stage, the older G3Tweakpack should still be available to people who choose to not install Fixpack, that's all I'm suggesting.

Fair enough. As I've no intention of supporting older G3 Tweaks, would you prefer to see the old components reappear in BG2 Tweaks or simply have a copy of the last G3 Tweaks on the mirrors?

If a mod was written "with Baldurdash in mind", it doesn't neccessarily mean the mod requires Baldurdash in order to work. What it usually means is that if the mod copies or alters a file via its .tp2, the new or altered file will be based on a fixed version of the original file, rather than the original, buggy file. If the original file worked just fine prior to being fixed by Baldurdash (except for the non-game stopping bug that was fixed), the new or altered file will still work just fine without the fix, too. Also, it's most likely irrelevant whether the fix is done via Baldurdash, the Fixpack, or indeed some other mod.

Having said that, there are two possible exceptions. The first is if a mod is coded to alter specific offsets in a file, rather than determine the correct offsets to alter. As an example, let's say that without Baldurdash installed, a suit of armour's second feature block provides the AC bonus vs. missiles, but with Baldurdash installed, this is actually the third feature block (i.e. Baldurdash has added a new feature block before it). A mod's author might code his mod to always change the second feature block of this item, not taking into consideration the fact Baldurdash has changed the file; in such a case, without Baldurdash the item wouldn't work as the author intended.

Fortunately, the vast majority of mods are not coded this way, and for good reason: not only would the mod be reliant on Baldurdash, it would be potentially incompatible with all other mods. Having WeiDU intelligently determine the correct offset to write to is a relatively simple process, and features in great abundance in the Fixpack's own .tp2. Personally I know of no such mod that is both coded in such a rough-handed way and that requires Baldurdash to be installed.

The second exception is for mods that have been coded to check whether Baldurdash is installed, and refuse to install if it's not found. Again I know of no such mods, though there are a couple that may be headed that way in the future.

The net result is at the moment we have a fixpack that is beta and not usable with some existing mods.

I have seen several general claims such as this, as well as musings that the Fixpack might not work with mod X. On the other hand, I've only seen something like three specific reports of compatability problems that people have actually experienced, two of which turned out to be problems that actually had nothing to do with the Fixpack (such as an incompatibility between two existing mods). The only genuine problem I've seen reported so far is with the Restored Minor Dialogues component of Unfinished Business.

If anyone actually has experienced such problems, by all means report it. But proclaiming something that is only thereotically true as established fact doesn't help anyone. (And this also includes most mod readmes that state something along the lines of "this mod requires Baldurdash".)

I have seen several general claims such as this, as well as musings that the Fixpack might not work with mod X. On the other hand, I've only seen something like three specific reports of compatability problems that people have actually experienced, two of which turned out to be problems that actually had nothing to do with the Fixpack (such as an incompatibility between two existing mods). The only genuine problem I've seen reported so far is with the Restored Minor Dialogues component of Unfinished Business.

there's a very real conflict between BGT and the "Exploit to Keep Imported Items At Beginning of SoA" fix, in that the fix alters the same block of AR0602.bcs that BGT uses to manage the transition to BG2, causing the game to hang in cutscene mode if the Fixpack is installe dbefore BGT. this is actually a BGT issue to fix, tho, and will be fixed in a later release - and even so, it's still recommended that you install the Fixpack with BGT; as a temporary workaround we recommend installing BGT before the Fixpack (or manually editing AR0602.bcs after yr install is finished).

If anyone actually has experienced such problems, by all means report it. But proclaiming something that is only thereotically true as established fact doesn't help anyone. (And this also includes most mod readmes that state something along the lines of "this mod requires Baldurdash".)

absolutely. usually this means 'i built my mod with baldurdash installed and can't be arsed testing it with other install combinations'

Fair enough. As I've no intention of supporting older G3 Tweaks, would you prefer to see the old components reappear in BG2 Tweaks or simply have a copy of the last G3 Tweaks on the mirrors?

That would be greatly appreciated! a copy of the last G3tweaks on the mirrors would be fine; I had absolutely no problems with that installed.

I realize the reality is that all of these mods are done by you guys for free and for the benefit of many; I'm not making demands that you have to do this or that-at the end of the day it's totally your perogative what is decided obviously. All I'm saying is that if Fixpack is still beta, then it makes sense in the meantime to allow options to use other mods/features that do not assume that fixpack is installed, so that people who wish to wait until fixpack has been out a while, is taken out of beta phase, etc before opting to install it can continue to use said mods/features like the+x/+y weapons and weightless weapons.

Taking steps to remove these options from the tweakpack is synonymous with saying Fixpack is now the default, which I think would be premature until it's taken out of beta status.

That would be greatly appreciated! a copy of the last G3tweaks on the mirrors would be fine; I had absolutely no problems with that installed.

Added. I'll post links in one of the pinned threads, hold on.

I realize the reality is that all of these mods are done by you guys for free and for the benefit of many; I'm not making demands that you have to do this or that-at the end of the day it's totally your perogative what is decided obviously.

TBH, this has never been a viewpoint to which I've subscribed. If I'm publishing mods I believe I have a responsibility to make sure they don't suck and won't break stuff on your box--within reasonable limits of my time and ability, of course. If I wasn't inclined to provide support and improvement, I shouldn't be making them publicly available.

Taking steps to remove these options from the tweakpack is synonymous with saying Fixpack is now the default, which I think would be premature until it's taken out of beta status.

In blindingly obvious hindsight, I never should have removed them. Even after FP is stable there will always be folks who don't want to use it because they prefer the old Baldurdash, don't like how we've fixed something, etc., etc. I think you'll see evrything re-introduced in v3 (and auto-skipped if FP is there), save the SoA world map fixes--I believe Yacomo's stuff includes the same fixes and is extensible to all of the BP(-[Aa-Zz0-9]+)* projects to boot.

Archived