An interesting question...

Grim Squeaker

I was thinking, 'how much can you tell about a person (their personality, interests or whatever) from looking at their DVD collection?'. So below, is my DVD list (They are the order that they are on my shelf. There is the occasional bit of logic to the ordering but it isn't a 'my favourites film at one end' kinda thing). Analyse away!

I will confirm whether or not things you come up with are true or not... but please for my own sanity or whatever don't come up with deeply personal things and ask me to confirm/deny them.

Interview with the Vampire

Queen of the Damned

Spaced – Series 1

Spaced – Series 2

Predator/Predator 2

Alien Quadrilogy (Alien, Aliens, Alien 3, Alien Resurrection)

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (Extended)

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (Extended)

Blade

Blade II

Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace

Star Wars: Episode II – Attack of the Clones

The Terminator

Terminator 2: Judgement Day

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines

The Lost Boys

Reservoir Dogs

Pulp Fiction

Jackie Brown

From Dusk, Till Dawn

Dracula 2001

Unbreakable

Starship Troopers

The Matrix

Matrix Reloaded

Matrix Revolutions

X-Men 1.5

X-Men 2

Moulin Rouge!

Catch Me If You Can

Pirates of the Caribbean

Dogma

Bruce Almighty

Resident Evil

The Fast and the Furious

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Swordfish

Mortal Kombat

Highlander

The Shawshank Redemption

The Lord of the Rings (Animated)

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy

PS: Try not to use information you know about me already in your evaluations...

We must be quite similar, because I own 20 of those myself :D

From what I can deduce, you like aliens, vampires, mutants, films which are "hip to hate" (starwars ep1 & 2, resident evil, matrix 2 & 3, etc). You enjoy comedy as well, but not any of those "gross-out" movies like american pie, scary movie, etc.

We must be quite similar, because I own 20 of those myself :D

From what I can deduce, you like aliens, vampires, mutants, films which are "hip to hate" (starwars ep1 & 2, resident evil, matrix 2 & 3, etc).  You enjoy comedy as well, but not any of those "gross-out" movies like american pie, scary movie, etc.

Yeah there's quite a bit of truth in that...

PS: Try not to use information you know about me already in your evaluations...

Man I could show you my DivX collection, sadly I own only The thin red line on DVD. :D

Remember you asked for it.:D Here we go (? means I haven't seen the film or cannot remember much)

@ Vampires: While I cannot claim to have seen them all (Blade II, Dracula 2001) I must say that Vampires seem to be a recurring theme in any movie collection. I wonder why the most obvious Dracula movies are missing (Nosferatu and Dracula by FFC or even the old Christopher Lee stuff). Apparently Bram Stoker wrote his piece about bloodsucking fiends in a time of a Victorian society filled with extreme angst about sexuality and sexually transmitted diseases namely syphiliis (or however that is really spelled). Some find vampires cool for there complete otherness as they do not seem to be limited by societal standards as we are. Moviewise some of them are cool as comics (ie Blade), but suck as they lack the climax after some twists. Lord of Vampires defeated in -let's see 5 secs- gimme a break. I loved some for their story and characters (IwtV and Lost Boys). Perhaps given more time Alyiah would have ben able to get a few classes and not rely on her costume so much to make an impression.

Interview with the Vampire (++)

Queen of the Damned (wtf)

Blade (~)

Blade II (?)

The Lost Boys (++)

Dracula 2001 (?)

@ To boldly go or futurama:

Some of these are obvious collector choices like Alien. I wondered why you did not have the great Abyss extended version. :D The Terminator story was really stretched at the end, ie last episode. No psychology there, SciFi as a possible door to new worlds and story opportunities or old stories in new packaging. I hate Lucas with a passion for what he did to the story. You need some of the older or weirder stuff to peruse: Kubrik and Dark Star IIRC for example. Prob the easiest genre to be satisfied by films, because the 'see how big that spaceship is'-approach is quite good to get a feeling approach in this context. Turnabout is fair play. :D I loved Predator (Arnold has a real tongue-in-cheek capability which I love about some of his films)

Spaced – Series 1 (?)

Spaced – Series 2 (?)

Predator/Predator 2 (++/?)

Alien Quadrilogy (Alien, Aliens, Alien 3, Alien Resurrection) (++)

Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace (wtf --)

Star Wars: Episode II – Attack of the Clones (wtf --)

The Terminator (++)

Terminator 2: Judgement Day (++)

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (~)

@ Fantasy: My fav category, sadly not many great films in that one. Try Dark Crystal, Legend or Krull, if you like those. Prob the hardest genre to be satisfied by films.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (Extended) (++)

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (Extended) (++)

The Lord of the Rings (Animated) (? seen as a kid can't remember)

@ Quentin Allmighty: A must have for everybody brgibberlings3.netgibberlings3.netgibberlings3.netgibberlings3.netgibberlings3.netought up on the 90s recycling culture. Gotta love em.

Reservoir Dogs (++)

Pulp Fiction (++)

Jackie Brown (++)

From Dusk, Till Dawn (++)

@ Undecided were to put them some cyber/ comic something. Matrix pulle the Lucas for me. X-Men could be nice and steady for at least two follow ups. :D

X-Men 1.5 (+)

X-Men 2 (+)

The Matrix (++)

Matrix Reloaded (wtf --)

Matrix Revolutions (wtf --)

@ Nice other stuff to have:

Dogma is really something for fanboys, but I just love their chars and Salma can really work that ...whatever I was gonny getting at. :D I wish I had been a teen like Frank Jr. :D Fav Caprio. Well rounded choice for friends and GF. Not to geeeky to erm special.

Dogma (++)

Catch Me If You Can (++)

Moulin Rouge! (?)

Pirates of the Caribbean

Bruce Almighty (+)

Resident Evil (+)

Swordfish (~)

Unbreakable (~)

@ Now I have your soul: Yawn. Minor mishaps canm occura nd there is nothing in your personality that would warrant such a torture:

Mortal Kombat (--)

@ OMFG: A waste, a complete waste. Don't get me into any lame pun with this, I get f f. I fear there will be at least another sequel, get a car show video instead. At least nobody pretends to be acting in them.

The Fast and the Furious (wtf --)

@ Finally great stuff without proper slot. Some beautifully done, some ravishing mad and brilliant in their story. I am missing some Monty Pythons actually. :D Starship Troopers is one of my fav. 'We are strong and going to kick some major bug's ass'-film. Apart from Thin Red line, Full Metal Jacket, Apox now and some others my fav anti-militarism film. You will like 'Water' I think.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (++)

The Shawshank Redemption (+~)

Highlander (++)

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (++)

Starship Troopers (++)

A well rounded collection. Doesn't say too much about your char without your rental list and movie tickets, because everybody I know tends to buy big films which is a shame. Your collection is broad and definitely male-oriented a little bit lacking in depth in the genres for my licking, but I figure you are a late teen or early twen. I am planning to buy Fight Club, before the company takes the enhanced DVD off the market, and, since I only run on DivX, I am going to put my mouth were my money is and shut up.

Yes, I was bored. :D

PS: The point of this thread is not to analyse the films themselves (although you can do a little of it) but to say what that selection of films says about the person in question...

Once I've explained why I bought those films then I'll let someone else take the stage and post their collection.

I needed to analyse the films a little to tell you what I make out of them. Just a completeness or lack of thereof or some peculiarities tell you stuff about a person. So I shut up now, I have used up all my keyboard anyhow.

Well here comes my analysis... and then we can go and analyse Bri. I won't both explaining every film. Just some highlights.

I love Vampire films. Hence, there being so many of them. I bought Queen of the Damned ex-rental from blockbuster for 4 quid, otherwise I probably wouldn't have bought it. The Blade films are there because they are vampire films but also because I love Marvel (hence the X-Men films).

I do love the Lord of the Rings films. The animated version, I didn't buy. That came in a 3-pack of films as a Christmas present. My bro knew I liked Lost Boys and Highlander and knew that we both thought Animated LotR was cheesey has hell. Damn you!

The new Star Wars films aren't nearly as good as the originals but I bought them because they are alright and I love the other Star Wars films.

I got the 3 Tarantinos cheap on Amazon, having seen Reservoir Dogs already. Love em. I got Dusk til Dawn coz I heard it was Taratino and vampire film. So I defiantely had to buy it!

I bought the Matrix coz it rocks. I got Reloaded coz it was pretty good and I hoped Revolutions would rock. Revolutions was alright, but no-where near as good as the original. But I bought the DVD to complete the set and it wasn't totally crap.

Mortal Kombat I bought secondhand the other day as a nice cheesey film. Man, Mortal Kombat Anniliation was crap. I will NEVER buy that... Resident Evil I also got cheaply ex-rental. Not an amazing film but reasonably entertaining as a high-budget B-movie! (Contradiction I know...)

Moulin Rouge! is kinda an odd-one-out. I do love that film. Two reasons mainly, one I love musicals and it does also appeal to the romantic side of me. Damn good soundtracks as well..

I bought Predator cheaply coz I love the film. Its like Die Hard in its coolness and raw macho-ness. Predator 2 came with it... not a bad film but no-where near as good as the others. The Terminator films are also classics. T2 has gotta be one of my favourite films of all time. T3 was alright but no-where near as good as T2...

The Spaced series and Dogma appeal to the wacky humour in me. Hilarious and utterly sureal...

Shawshank is a film that should be in everyone's collection. Its just such an amazing film. If you haven't seen it then go and get it!

I hope that gave some insight into the inner me.

Hmm... well, then what does all this say about Grim? Discounting what I already know...

There's a lot of Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Horror in there along with a goodly number of Action/Adventure. Based on this, I'd say you were a person that likes living in a fantasy world, however, you do have a few deeper movies in the mix as well. So based on your over-all collection, I would say that you are a person that likes to have fun, but you also have serious moments as well.

And, may I add - NO BUFFY?!?!?!?!? :D

I actually find that a bookshelf gives a greater insight into a person's personality...but a dvd shelf is as good, i suppose...i have many of the films...but include stuff like...

From earth to the moon

I, Claudius

Dune (mini series)

James bond movies

and a huge animation collection... :D

Archived