Gorion death/burial

Guest meomao

Guest meomao

Hi everybody,

I've got another question for you. At the beginning of the story, I've see that there is a new quest to offer a proper burial to Gorion: you have to take a book at candlekeep in order to gain the pass to entry Candlekeep and bury Gorion in his hometown. Even Jaheira talk about it once you meet here at the Friendly Arms Inn.

I think that these quest is a little bugged.

I understand that when you are attacked by the bandits at the crossroad between Candlekeep and Beregost just after Gorion death's you should obtain the book by the leader of the bandits. Unfortunately, in my game the dialogue with the leader doesn't start properly: I just killed her without having the book in return.

First of all I want to stress that bug, then I just want to ask you if the failure of that quest compromise something in Jaheira/Khalid quest and if I can solve that probelm with Shadowkeeper.

Bye,

Federico.

Well, actually, you are fine here... there is no quest about Gorion's body :down:

You are actually running across three separate interactions.

When you find the body, some of the dialogue options do let you bury Gorion. You get the letter that says you are in danger. That concludes one interaction, and you play on. For some reason I am still looking into (probably triggered by NOT choosing the right dialogue sequence to bury Gorion,), one of the first talks to trigger with Jaheira and Khalid is a reference to burying Gorion. This is unrelated to any quest... just wrapping up loose ends.

Some people, expecially experienced players, don't realize that there is a separate, completely unrelated interaction, for those folks that want to send Imoen home or are just poking around trying to get back to Candlekeep immediately. The first time you can go home is actually when you are ready to confront the Iron Throne. Earlier than that, when you go back, you don't have the "rare volume" necessary (given by the plot later on) - instead, a small encounter with the Gatekeeper that basically sais "go away, now, shoo!". I play Paladins, and mine always gets some gold and a little speech about being sorry but no entry allowed. Imoen declines returning, preferring to go with you. It may be different for evil charactyers, I would have to research.

The Bandit you found is part of Kagain's Quest you find (or not) later on. Kagain is a tough-to-find dwarf in Beregost in one of the "houses" (his shop) in the center of town. Under regular Tutu and even BG1NPC v11 there are some oddities with this short quest, which have been resolved for the next version; the item you are looking for from the Bandit is a small piece of jewelry mislabled a "fistula".

Have fun playing :suspect:

It's one of Imoen's dialogues that pops up once you picked up the letter and Imoen is in sight and you picked the right option; it has interjections of a bunch of characters. Jaheira's dialogue will (should) not trigger if you did bury Gorion with Imoen.

The problem I am now tracking is that Jaheira talks about this relatively soon after joining, but in any area/setting. It has happened to me in v11 in FAI (once when I didn't get the correct dialog sequence with Imoen; I was trying a "dark side" character, and once when I actually had buried Gorion, which means something was hanging up). The way the dialogue falls on the eyes, it appears that out of the blue Jaheira comments on burying Gorion - it looks like the dialog was intended to come up while actually around the body.

Domi, the intended behavior is that Imoen talks on finding the body/letter if she is there relatively soon (we now set a 1 hr RTimer); what are the intended general conditions for Jaheira's comments, please?

Jaheira's talk was written way befrore Imoen's and there were no conditions on it; it was supposed to be one of the friendly chats, not site-specific, so it was never restricted. When Imoen's came in and after it was discussed the first time, I think we decided to stop Jaheira's talk (since it's just a chat, not the actual burial as in Imoen's) if Gorion was burried with Imoen. I think we can just add the "We've already burried Gorion" PC option to it, if Jaheira was not present (track Global on her Interjection).

OK, found it: no conditions currently set on the banter except Global("JaFriendTalk","GLOBAL",1) for JAPC1

SAY ~Where do you think we should inter Gorion’s remains? Khalid and I have been discussing this. We are his closest friends, but you are his next of kin, so we want to know your opinion.~

++ ~Let him lie where

++ ~Why should you care about a proper

++ ~Candlekeep was our home, so

all replies DO ~SetGlobal("JAPC1","LOCALS",1)~

should we add the bottom condition

IF ~~ THEN REPLY  ~Imoen and I already have taken care of this, Jaheira.~ DO ~SetGlobal("JAPC1","LOCALS",1)~ GOTO JAPC1.4

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN JAPC1.4
SAY ~That is fitting. I wish that we had a tome of leather parchments made from the hides of the bandits who attacked you, to pay for our entry to Candlekeep. That of the one who had slain him shall be saved for the cover. I am sorry, <CHARNAME>, for sharing such a grim thought, but Khalid and myself... we loved Gorion dearly. Let us press on to Nashkel.~
IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

or do you want the whole thing resolved without Player1 options:

IF ~Global("X#IMGBody","GLOBAL",3)~ THEN GOTO JAPC1.4

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN JAPC1.4
SAY ~But I forget... you have already buried Gorion. That is fitting. I wish that we had a tome of leather parchments made from the hides of the bandits who attacked you, to pay for our entry to Candlekeep. That of the one who had slain him shall be saved for the cover. I am sorry, <CHARNAME>, for sharing such a grim thought, but Khalid and myself... we loved Gorion dearly. Let us press on to Nashkel.~
IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

I'd say that it's better to do:

IF ~Global("X#IMGBody","GLOBAL",3)~ THEN REPLY ~Imoen and I already have taken care of this, Jaheira.~ DO ~SetGlobal("JAPC1","LOCALS",1)~ GOTO JAPC1.4

if Jaheira was not in the party during Imoen's conversation (add a Global to Imoen's chat where Jaheira interjects) - ie jaheira is not omniknowledgeable, and stop the banter alltogether if she was in the party, ie Jaheira is not forgetting something so important as her friend's recent furneral .

Cool, I'm on it...

but...

Blast it. Let me rethink. Moving too quickly.

#1. OP confused by talks. Does not bury body. Has J dialogue that makes it sound like a quest is being given to go back and bury body. Problem to fix: OP confusion.

#2. Cmorgan produces his own variant; red herring. Once or twice in many many plays through Chapter1, has both Body Buried and Jaheira Friend Talk 1. Confused by random location of J F T 1 if body not buried. Problem to fix: CM confusion, possible failed condition check.

For #2,

I just found code that we added to X#Jaheira1.BAF that skipped the first Friend Talk, and it looks solid. Unless there is a problem with !GlobalLT("X#IMGBody","GLOBAL",3), this talk should not play for folks who have buried the body. We don't need the options above (sorry :suspect: ). I will go through the timers and make sure everything is fine, but this one is fine at least in the version we are testing.

As for #1,

We are back to the original question; is there anything we should add to the dialogue the OP found confusing, to make sure that the player is not expecting a quest? Perhaps the wrapup here would be to simply add an ending statement on each of the lines "Let us press on to Nashkel."

Sorry, I sometimes get carried away and confuse the issue rather than be helpful. Excite-able artist temperment, I guess.

p.s. I like berelinde's idea.

The OP is confusing the original BG1 quest that is resolved in Chapter 5 and Jaheira's mention of the book made from bandits' hides. I think it is relatively obvious from the dialogue that bandits are not expected to have the book or you are not expected to skin them. She just says that she *wishes* that the book was like that. I don't think that adding a concusion of let's press on to Nashkel will resolve the expectation of burial. Perhaps we can instead make Jaheira refer us to the CK guard, and CK guard will promise to send people to bring Gorion in, and we add to Areal Script the Global check that will destroy Gorion's body after that if it was not with Imoen.

Imoen's dialogue has plenty of exits into the burial as is. IIRC it is pretty difficult to avoid buring Gorion if she had initiated it.

I think that is a cool idea, Domi; I just unsure as to how we want to mix in the return to Candlekeep. I can see it as a good addition to the Keeper's dialog; I just spent 10 minutes jotting down about a zillion different combinations of ways this could happen. We just can't reliably account for every single possibility.

I just started a new game to test out the Ajantis Romance and try to figure out some stuff (my first game with a female character). I have to say, when I followed the true Lawful Good approach (do what your Foster Father instructed), I ended up doing the following sequence:

Pick up Imoen. Pick up Montaron and Xzar. Encounter Old Man. Stay on road to FAI. Defeat Tarnesh. Pick up Jaheira and Khalid, drop off Montaron and Xzar. Explore FAI and pick up quests. Reading the first friendship talk "good person" response as a prompt to return and see Gorion's body, return to the scary "scene of the crime" with Auntie J and Uncle K in tow. Imoen prompts response (no ogre spoils left :suspect: but expected as things in the wilderness logically would disappear), J and D interjects, Gorion Buried -- perfectly logical, good storytelling, no need for changes. You don't encounter the Caravan unless you stray from the road (stupid for a good guy/girl who has just been clobbered by forces greater than a Hero of the Realms).

Part of this is the object name, too -- the latest alpha has the bandit named Caravan Bandit Leader, which kind of leads one away from other quest line confusions...

I guess the question now is do we want to account for different paths, and if so, how much. The basic "expected" paths where someone is discovering the plot for the first time to cover might be:

• Player1 finds Gorion's body alone (doesn't accept Imoen into party), and buries him (or not). [not covered].

• Player1 and Imoen have regular encounter [already covered nicely, including the option to leave him as carrion/nature's balance, timered out after an hour RT].

• Player1 and Jaheira/Khalid/Imoen, +- Montaron, +- Xzar return based on prompt, and follow same dialogue [already mostly covered if Imoen is in the party].

• No Imoen, but Player1 and Jaheira/Khalid +- Montaron, +- Xzar [not covered].

• The way-out-there possibility, beginning the long list of "you can't get here without MetaGaming, i.e. dippong down and picking up Kivan out of order, etc.):

Player1, Jaheira/Khalid, +- Imoen +- Montaron, +- Xzar bypass body on way from AND to Candlekeep, and run into the watcher. [not covered: easy to fix as Keeper can redirect them to the body].

Ordinarily this would be a non-issue; explain the passage, and let it go. The only reason I am still hanging up on this is that it seems so important to me that there be a resolution of Gorion's funeral. Certainly the Lawful G/E positions would place the burial high in ranking.

Keeping it Simple is probably the best - just add the option to the Keeper outside the Candlekeep at condition:

GlobalLT("X#IMGBody","GLOBAL",3)

something like: My mentor, Gorion, was slain in the forest east of here, near the fork in the Golden Way. I think he would have wished to be burried in Candlekeep.

and the guard saying something like: of course, kid, we'll send the search party and he'll be interred properly. Set Global that will cancel Imoen's talk and will destroy Gorion's body. Maybe give some little XPs even.

OK, will code and post in workrom for your edit of dialog tomorrow am. You are right, K.I.S.S.!

berelinde, I will look at where the loopholes are, but I think this will cover it. If Player1 doesn't choose the option for burial, there will be another chance at Candlekeep; if in a different sequence, it will still have two major plot points in which to bury Gorion.

Some people, expecially experienced players, don't realize that there is a separate, completely unrelated interaction, for those folks that want to send Imoen home or are just poking around trying to get back to Candlekeep immediately. The first time you can go home is actually when you are ready to confront the Iron Throne. Earlier than that, when you go back, you don't have the "rare volume" necessary (given by the plot later on) - instead, a small encounter with the Gatekeeper that basically sais "go away, now, shoo!". I play Paladins, and mine always gets some gold and a little speech about being sorry but no entry allowed. Imoen declines returning, preferring to go with you. It may be different for evil charactyers, I would have to research.

I wonder how many people find that? :suspect: I always loved the little "hidden" interactions like that, that are all over BG2: things you wouldn't necessarily find unless you were wondering about cluelessly, and talking to everyone (things experienced players tend to not do). I'm glad it made its way into the final cut.

Archived