Freeze when Loading!

Guest Monkey Fighter

Wanderon, did you check your override for m#ar01.are, .tis, .wed and three .bmp files? Especially the m#ar01.tis is important because m#ar01.tiz pack gets unpacked after the actual WeiDU process, prompted by a separate bat file.

In short, when you installed Amber did you press enter after the install was complete? Pressing enter button should have been followed by an unpacking of sounds and area graphics process, taking couple minutes to get completed. If you just closed the window the unpacking process would have been skipped.

I have no copies with a .tis extension but do have copies with .tiz - sounds like it did not unpack??

will try re-installing Amber

BTW I always press enter at the end and never just close the window when installing - I am somewhat anal about following directions to a T... :)

Can you then tell me what happens after you press enter? The screen will move very fast, but you should see some text flying by referring to unpacking the .acm files and .ogg files and finally the tilesets.

What Windows version are you running? The current version of Amber does not copy the music files correctly in win95 and 98 or ME because an unwary usage of \ in the bat file. However that will only mean that Amber custom music won't play, nothing more.

Can you then tell me what happens after you press enter? The screen will move very fast, but you should see some text flying by referring to unpacking the .acm files and .ogg files and finally the tilesets.

What Windows version are you running? The current version of Amber does not copy the music files correctly in win95 and 98 or ME because an unwary usage of \ in the bat file. However that will only mean that Amber custom music won't play, nothing more.

Yes I saw all the text flying by - the files unpacked properly this time - I now have the .tis files and the area now loads smoothly - :)

I just had the motherboard, DVD drive and a USB port replaced on this machine - my last install was before that was done so I don't know if the bad motherboard would have had anything to do with the previous install - there were also a few times when the scrolling stopped for a bit - I suppose I could have closed the window at one of those points last time but thats sort of unlikely unless it stopped for several minutes.

BTW there was also a series of "warnings" regarding a series of triggers not being found for Kitanya - IIRC I saw these during the Kitanya install as well and IIRC there was something said on the forums for Kitanya about ignoring this - does that sound kosher?

Oh and my OS is XP media center edition

Yes I saw all the text flying by - the files unpacked properly this time - I now have the .tis files and the area now loads smoothly - :)

I just had the motherboard, DVD drive and a USB port replaced on this machine - my last install was before that was done so I don't know if the bad motherboard would have had anything to do with the previous install - there were also a few times when the scrolling stopped for a bit - I suppose I could have closed the window at one of those points last time but thats sort of unlikely unless it stopped for several minutes.

No, it's not supposed to stop for that long. However, it supposed to pop up the readme file after the install and unpacking has completed. As long as it works though, I'm happy. And at least I know what to ask suggest if the same error is reported again. Of course I'd be even appier if I know how to ensure that this does not happen again.

BTW there was also a series of "warnings" regarding a series of triggers not being found for Kitanya - IIRC I saw these during the Kitanya install as well and IIRC there was something said on the forums for Kitanya about ignoring this - does that sound kosher?

If you send Rastor Kitanya's debug file he probably can say if the warnings are serious. Did I understand correctly that these warning showed up during Amber's install as well? If you send the Amber's latest debugfile (the one that I got now is from time before Kitanya was installed) I an take a look as well.

Oh and my OS is XP media center edition

I'll keep that in mind.

EDIT: Ooops, that was me and not Darios. -Meira

Archived