A typo or two

Guest Guest_Ginger_*

Guest Guest_Ginger_*

Okay, I hope nobody minds me posting this, me being a complete n00b here and all (and so technologically challenged that I can't even get 'register' to work), but I have noticed a couple of minor typos. Sorry, can't help it; I sub-edit for a living.

The text in this game is far cleaner than any professional game I've seen for a long while (Vampire: Bloodlines bounces instantly to mind) but there seems to be an admirable level of perfectionism here, so:

* Silversword (the elven woman you meet immediately after crossing the bridge into Baldur’s Gate): she says, ‘does anyone among you have brain?’ This should be 'a brain’.

* Jaheira, in a banter with Dynaheir: ‘Might we have quick woman-to-woman chat?’ should be ‘a quick woman-to-woman chat’.

* Yeslick described Gorian as the PC’s stepfather, rather than guardian.

* In a very early Imoen-PC banter, Imoen talks about ‘Gorian dieing’ … should be ‘dying’.

* In a PC-initiated banter (choosing the line ‘what’s wrong?’) one of the possible replies is that Imoen thinks I’m going ‘to far’ … should be ‘too far’.

Hope I'm not wearing out my welcome by nit-picking :) I'm having a ball with this mod.

Ginger

Thank you so much for taking your time to report those! We are trying very hard to make the texts as sound as possible and correct every typo that is noticed/reported. Heh, I think we discussed Gorion's designation before, and decided to use "foster father" instead of "stepfather". Maybe, it's time for a quick search-replace. :)

fixed, fixed, fixed, fixed, and.... fixed. Kivan, Ajantis, Imoen, and Yeslick all now refer to Gorion correctly (did a mass find, then read each line for context, and manually changed so that there was no collateral damage to typo fixing. Have I mentioned publically that Crimson Editor is the best thing since sliced bread first was toasted and buttered :) ?)

I don't want to mess with your current game, Ginger, but detail-oriented players with experience in providing contextually complete and easy-to-follow fixes are incredibly welcome to report! In fact, if you wouldn't mind, we have the next version in testing, and could use your eye for detail - it would be great! If you are interested, please let me know. It would mean restarting, because saves will not be compatable, but it has a good deal new to offer...

Besides, it would give you an excuse to hog the computer time. You can tell your husband you are "working" :)

Guest Guest_Ginger_*

I'd be honoured! I'm one of those annoying people who spots typos wherever I go, so it would be great to actually put this to good use, rather than just itching to put the apostrophes in the right places on menus.

Starting again isn't a problem. I was kind of thinking of doing it anyway. In games with chatty party members (BGII, KOTOR etc) I have always had a bad habit of madly swapping party members in order to encourage them to talk. I didn't do it as much this time, mainly because I got Kivan and Dynaheir early and I don't have the heart to kick them out... anyway, now I have an excuse!

By the way, last night Kivan accused Khalid of being a valiant warrior - or something like that, anyway - and in his first line he forgot the full stop/period.

G

I'm on it -- and it is now fixed. Well, assuming it was Branwen and not Kivan. I am going back to recheck Kivan.

Ahhh, found it... see, two for the price of one!

~Lle naa belegohtar... you are a mighty warrior, Khalid.~ now has its proper terminating punctuation.

If you would like to do this off-forum via email, drop me a line at svowles at comcast dot net (careful of the spelling - my last name is spelled differently from expectations)- or register here and PM me, and I will send you the info. I am trying to catch up over the course of today (I promised yesterday, but have had some unexpected troubles code-wise) so there should be a v12 alpha 11 available late this afternoon.

Tell you what... I know we have some last-minute material coming in from Jastey and from Andyr, and that Andyr won't be back for a couple of weeks, but why don't I do a "test" TRA version for this alpha. We can't use the -comment version yet, as the bigg's on holiday and the current command results in /* string /* instead of /* string */, but we could see how things work out with the TRA stuff. I will keep the master version as non-TRA for easier code-fixing for now, but try out the TRA. What do you think?

Well, Andyr's stuff can go on the new file, no pro, and Jastey's is a separate file. Basically if re-traifying will only change references on Ds (but without shifting/adding the lines), I assume that you can simply re-trafy, but keep the old TRAs (assuming you'll be making texts' corrections on these) with the exception of Jastey's file and Andyr's file. If you don't want to use those test TRAs for anything then hey, it's not even a question.

The only thing is that we will have to hold off from sending anything to translators until we have the final TRA's because those guys are the ones that stand to be royally screwed if we change TRAs on them in mid-air.

Sounds like a plan... and I think we probably are safe doing this now for all but Tiax and Ajantis.

I agree on the "hold off from translators" thing; we probably will need to release v12 and then call for translations so that there are not big changes mid-stream. As I understand it, the expectation for v12 is "final, stable version only tweaked for compatability if completely warranted"; the flagging of the files means other folks can work around us and not require anything more than a (very occasional) update.

So, Ginger, the upshot is that you hit the perfect time to join up and make a great contribution :) ! With you, Riane, berelinde, Inuna, Ajnos, Katerina, Thorgal (where are you, oh knowledgeable one), Andrew, (blast.. I can't fnd my list of current playtesters, and accidentally deleted my stupid backlog archive of PMs, but there are several more cool people who have not yet reported bugs who are playtesting) we should be able to put v12 through the wringer before putting it out for public consumption.

Thanks for letting me help out!

I've emailed ... let me know if there's an ominous silence, I have an amazing innate ability to fry technology and 'disappear' emails.

G

I could help spot typos also, but I'll use the diologue files because I tend to get attached to the characters I pick up, and am very particular about my alignment (so I don't pick up Shar-teel, Edwin, etc.).

Heck, before I installed EasyTutu, I opened up the BG1NPC.exe in WinRaR and read the files in the Diologues folder.

Just tell me what files you need me to check, and I'll post back here. And if you need me to look at something new, I'm at Ghastly_dragon310 at yahoo.com.

Yes, the new versaion will include sending NPCs to an Inn component by Dorotea, where you can chose to send NPC to a safe location (usually an Inn) appropriate for the chapter and NPCs' personality :)

Archived