Arkanis and Osprey don't want to leave me...

Ascendency-Down

I'm not exactly sure if the following bug is introduced by BG1 NPC-Project (v12 alpha11), but I suspect it since the options when parting from NPCs were changed. After leaving the house of Obe the Illusionist in Candlekeep the party members of the tutorial party (Canderous, Osprey, Mordaine, Arkanis, Deder) all keep asking me once if I want them to rejoin the party. Naturally, they shouldn't due to the fact that they aren't intended to be "real" party members.

:) now THAT is funny!!! I never thought of taking a look through there (and I bet nobody else did either). I will take a look at that today; it may be as simple as editing the NPCs to have no leaving/joining scripts.

Hello -

I have never seen that happen on TUTU4. EasyTUTU? It is definetly not anything we've done.

Hey, hey! Don't look at me. Personally, I blame IWD2 NPCs for this.

For what it's worth, I did have that happen to me once. IIRC, it happened when I asked Obe to teleport me out when there was still a "test monster" left alive. As I travelled around Candlekeep, I would occasionally see output to the message window indicating that Arkanis and the gibberling were still fighting. Then Arkanis would knock it out, and the messages would stop. A minute or two later, another round. The whole thing finally culminated in the other NPCs asking to rejoin, as the OP describes.

I'll take a look. cmorgan, if you figure it out first, please let me know, and I'll patch the fix directly into EasyTutu.

Hey, hey! Don't look at me. Personally, I blame IWD2 NPCs for this.
:) OK, Marl -- I started laughing when I recognized the "Hey, hey, don't poke me, I don't want any trouble" reference -- I need to get out more!

From the description, I bet what has happened is that combat script assignment. In order for the "destroy the illusionalry creatures and take back all their stuff" script to work correctly, there must be some kind of check to see if everything is dead. I bet this is a bug with the original Tutu (or even BG1); if a monster is still left alive, it may get rid of the stuff, but fail to destroy the NPCs - that would result in Arkanis (with no weapons) knocking out his opponent, and then just keeping the cycle going.

I don't know what we can do, but I will investigate those scripts. If Macready is on the case, it will be fixed by lunchtime; he will probably find it before I do :).

Hello -

OK, I think all post-Obe weirdness should now be impossible. Essentially, all Obe-building actors except for Obe himself are now scripted to DestroySelf() once the simulation is complete and CHARNAME has exited. This should prevent post-simulation fighting, chatty former "party members," etc.

The update will be included in the next release of EasyTutu.

Sweeeet -- and you did indeed beat

a. my diagnosis of what/where speed

b. my time expectation by at least an hour

c. the fix implementation be at least a day

to quote the "A-Team",

I love it when a plan comes together!

(Da da du Daaaah, dit da daaaaaaaah [insert gunfire sounds here] ) :)

Those NPCs did stuff like that in the unmodded, non-tutu version of the game too. Some people would actually play the entire game with those characters in their party. :) IIRC, one trick to keep them in the group is mentioned in Simpson's BG1 FAQ/Walkthrough.

Hello -

OK, I think all post-Obe weirdness should now be impossible. Essentially, all Obe-building actors except for Obe himself are now scripted to DestroySelf() once the simulation is complete and CHARNAME has exited. This should prevent post-simulation fighting, chatty former "party members," etc.

The update will be included in the next release of EasyTutu.

Sorry for digging out this old thread, but it seems something is broken again, as the same thing happened to me just yesterday. All these strangers are in my party now, and they won't leave, basically because they in fact are still sitting in Obe's cellar, or have destroyed themselves or whatever... :)

Installation order:

BG1 Saga

BG2

TOB+Latest Patch

Easytutu TOB (05 February 2007)

Degreenifier

Tutufix 17

BG1 NPC v12 Beta 3

BG1 NPC Music Pack

Tutu Gui v1.7

Also, the portrait of one of them is strangely broken; one half of the pic of her is much darker than the other half. I can make a screenshot if needed.

What happended here? Did I install something in the wrong order? Are these mod versions incompatible?

Nope, it looks like you did everything perfectly, and that is about as perfect an install order (and conservative a set of choices) as you can get... I'll try paging Macready and seeing what is up. We don't touch the scripts for these illusionary NPCs.

The portrait is a side issue; these "npcs" were never completely filled out as they were designed as, well, illusions!

Please set aside a savegame, but then:

A quick workaround is to restart from right before going down to the illusionaist, and then don't go. It is a tutorial session you can't get anything from anyways, so you don't need it.

Or, same, go, and then make sure everything is dead. Walk around several times, checking everywhere, and if you still have an illusionary NPC which is not destroyed by the removal script, that is important information - please make a save there, note the illusion hanging around, and then mercilessly Ctr-Y him out of existence. Then go to be and get out of Dodge!

Nope, it looks like you did everything perfectly, and that is about as perfect an install order (and conservative a set of choices) as you can get...

Well yes, I wanted it to be that way, as it's the first time ever I play BG1. It was enough of an hassle to install these few modifications already! :)

Please set aside a savegame, but then:

A quick workaround is to restart from right before going down to the illusionaist, and then don't go. It is a tutorial session you can't get anything from anyways, so you don't need it.

Okay, I will backup this savegame. It's no big deal to start again, or to skip the visit to Obe, I was just discouraged by running into such a show-stopper so early in the game, I feared many other things could be broken, too. But as bugs around the illusionist are well known(albeit believed to be fixed), and I don't seem to have done anything wrong concerning installation, I have some more confidence. Thanks so far!

The portrait is a side issue; these "npcs" were never completely filled out as they were designed as, well, illusions!
I think it means she's wounded if half the portrait is darkened. If not, something even funnier is going on.

This was a glitch (or exploit) in plain BG1, but I have never been able to reproduce it in Tutu. Though with BG2 Tweaks, apparently you can dismiss these characters to "wait for you at an inn," but the poster doesn't have that. But now I'm thinking... doesn't BG1NPC have the same component? :)

Archived