CTD from Suna Seni (Mac)

Gorilym

Version of Game: ToB (Mac)

Mods installed:Official patches and BG2Fixpack only

Description of Problem: I've experienced consistent and immediate CTDs upon entering the temple district (AR0900 IIRC). The first times this happened I was playing on a relatively heavily modded installation, so I proceeded to remove one-by-one the mods that I knew affected this area. No luck. I then plonked out a fresh full install, applied the official patches, and ensured that I could enter the Temple District on a modless installation. Installing the Core component of the BG2Fixpack led to immediate CTDs again however. Guess I'll be sticking with the old fashioned Baldurdash etc. for now.

Are you getting a crash after the area is fully loaded, or midway through the load?

Area loads fully, then app CTDs before I can even catch a glimpse of the district. (which differentiates this crash from one I experienced in the Copper Coronet that gave the same generic error message, which was apparently caused by the Valygar / Suna Seni component of UB - in that case the area loaded visually and crashing didn't occur until a few seconds after unpausing.)

Do you get an error message (assertion failed in blah blah)?

Can you post the crash log from that crash?

Yeah, the error message was "assertion failed in..." - bah, I forgot to make a note of the exact message. Something about CGameEffects and 1536? The CTD in the Copper Coronet did give the very same message though, which is the main reason I think it's generic. If necessary I can recreate the circumstances to get the exact details. I'm not at my Mac right now, but I should be able to post the crash log later today.

The assertion message is very important; if it is CGameEffect, then we may have a bad effects index in some file somewhere (since it's on-load, probably an item).

The crash log, not so useful, but it may help determine what the game was trying to load when it crashed (item or creature or whatever).

The assertion message is very important; if it is CGameEffect, then we may have a bad effects index in some file somewhere (since it's on-load, probably an item).

The crash log, not so useful, but it may help determine what the game was trying to load when it crashed (item or creature or whatever).

Ah, ok then, I'll break out a fresh new install and make note of the exact details.

Assertions usually shouldn't.

Do you have only the fixpack installed, or do you have other mods also installed?

Do you get the error when trying to CLUA to AR0900?

Make sure you delete the AR090* BIFs from you cache/data folder, and then try to CLUA to AR0901 and exit the temple (Lathander or Helm, I forget which) to the Temple District.

Does this only occur in the Temple District, or have you been getting random errors elsewhere?

Official MacPlay patch 2.1.2 and three Fixpack components - Core Fixes, Text Update and the Super Happy Fun Lucky Modder Pack - absolutely nothing else.

I hadn't yet thought of using the console, so I'll give that a shot.

I have experienced crashes with the EXACT same error message in at least two other places, one while fighting the Pebblecrusher party in the upstairs area of the Den of Seven Vales (I think that's the name) and the other a couple of seconds after entering the Copper Coronet. However those were on a previous installation with more than a dozen mods installed, and the CC crashing ceased after I removed the Valygar / Suna Seni component of UB, so I can't be sure that those were Fixpack-related.

Guest s w raly

To jump in here - I've having an almost identical problem on a Mac as well.

Version of Game: ToB

Mods installed:Official patch, BG2Fixpack, parts of Tweak pack [but not SoA load screen]

Instead of the Temple however, I cannot leave the Graveyard. It's the same error report: "assertion failed in CGameEffect.cpp at line number 1536."

I haven't tried to CLUA around yet, but any time I try to leave the Graveyard - not matter where I'm going to - it saves, loads.. seemingly completely but then goes black and crashes with that error.

To jump in here - I've having an almost identical problem on a Mac as well.

Version of Game: ToB

Mods installed:Official patch, BG2Fixpack, parts of Tweak pack [but not SoA load screen]

Instead of the Temple however, I cannot leave the Graveyard. It's the same error report: "assertion failed in CGameEffect.cpp at line number 1536."

I haven't tried to CLUA around yet, but any time I try to leave the Graveyard - not matter where I'm going to - it saves, loads.. seemingly completely but then goes black and crashes with that error.

Have you tried starting a new game? In my case the issue turned out to be confined to a set of saved games, though I have no idea what actually caused it.

Guest s w raly

I just tried with a new game (I did use DBG just to hasten my ability to check the problem - i.e. going to and then trying to leave the graveyard). Same thing happened as before.

In fact, it seems to be a timing issue - which is to say, anytime I leave the first area I go to after having been in the slums the game CTD's. (Is it time for a random encounter which fails to load properly?)

I just tried with a new game (I did use DBG just to hasten my ability to check the problem - i.e. going to and then trying to leave the graveyard). Same thing happened as before.

In fact, it seems to be a timing issue - which is to say, anytime I leave the first area I go to after having been in the slums the game CTD's. (Is it time for a random encounter which fails to load properly?)

Hmmm... As far as random encounters go, the first "ambush" (Suna Seni & thugs) usually happens around then, but I don't see what the fix- or tweakpacks (or DBG for that matter) could be doing to mess that one up. If you have the HD space (and patience) you could perhaps try making a clean install with Baldurdash instead of the Fixpack? Could help in narrowing things down at least.

Archived