CTD from Suna Seni (Mac)

Gorilym

Guest s w raly

It seems to finish loading actually, returning to a game screen that is black, before CTD'ing.

I will do a clean install and test with each level of the mods, and see if I can narrow it down some. (If necessary, even trying it with Baldurdash.)

Guest s w raly

Oh well; I tried a minimal mod install and it resulted in exactly the same issue.

(By min. I mean I did an install from scratch: SoA, ToB, ToB official patch, only the core fixes and game text update from the Fixpack, and - yes - I did use DBG to speed up the testing process.)

No dice. So next I guess I'll try something like Baldurdash to see if it works.

Could you try spawning these creatures from the console and seeing if any of them are responsible for the CTD? I don't know how to activate the console on the Mac, but once it's activated try this:

CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("RESUNA")

Also try these: REELDAR, REFIGH01, REMAGE01, RECLER01, and RETHIE01 in place of RESUNA and let me know if any of them cause crashes. In the same vein, can you try teleporting to the random encounter areas, ar0041-ar0046?

CLUAConsole:MoveToArea("ar0041")

I don't know how to activate the console on the Mac, but once it's activated try this:

Add Debug Mode=1 to baldur.ini, and press ctrl-space in game to bring up the console - same as on a PC, no?

I didn't know if the OS X version even used .ini files. Good to know. :blush:

Guest s w raly

I've got good news and bad - depends on your perspective.

1) I was able to spawn Eldar and the rest of the thugs w/o a problem.

2) Spawning Suna on the other hand resulted in a CTD.

3) In addition [using a save point before the random encounter should occur, if it matters], I was unable to teleport to any of the ar0041-6 random encounter areas. Doing so resulted in a CTD.

(Just to note, I looked for and couldn't find the ar0043 or 46 files. The others are in the override folder, but not those two.)

Something I should try next?

Well, the random encounter areas all try to spawn Suna, so that explains those crashes. If you increment the random encounter global by one via the console you should be able to go to those areas and not get a CTD:

CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("RandomEncounters","GLOBAL",1)

You could try this and verify it's not the areas themselves (you should meet the thugs trying to kill Renfeld instead of Suna & co.) but I'm pretty sure Suna's the issue.

The changes to Suna are fairly straightforward--she gets an alignment change, a non-referenced item is removed from her inventory (she had a bastard sword listed but it's unused by her creature file) and we add a single charge to Arbane. If anything, I'd suspect that the removal of the item may somehow be corrupting offsets.

Could you send me a copy of resuna.cre (post-Fixpack) from your override folder? If it's in the override folder pre-Fixpack, I'd like a copy as well--if it's not, don't worry about it. Email me at webmaster@gibberlings3.net. :blush:

Guest s w raly

I incremented the random encounter global as instructed, and then CLUA'd to a random encounter area without incident - bumbing into Renfeld's attackers.

So the problem does seem limited to Suna. (Hope you see something in the .cre file I sent.)

Received the email and ran a byte comparison to the one I have here--they're identical. I've sent you three variations of the file, as I now suspect it's a reference to another file

Thanks for your patience and help in sorting through this. :blush:

And ever so slowly we inch to a solution. resuna1.cre is the copy of Suna without her items. Can you see if just consoling in Arbane (sw1h27) causes an issue? If it does, let's try emailing that, both pre- and post- versions. :blush: Her only other two items are plain leather armor (leat01.itm) and a random treasure item.

I did a little testing of my own, and confirmed that CLUAing in 'resuna' causes CTDs on my end as well. CLUAing in Arbane however does not. So I fired up NI, had a look at resuna.cre, removed the third item reference, (the one that wasn't Arbane or the leather armor, something beginning with 'rnd', I forget) after which CLUAing in Suna was crash-free. So the problem seems to reside with this third reference.

Archived