Editing in Game Appearence or .BAM Files

Guest Flame Outlaw

Guest Flame Outlaw

Heya I'm new to editing Baldur's Gate files and I'm currently creating a new character for the 6 way lan party that I'm going to.

The character I'm making is Red Sonja, the npc Sirine is very similar but their are many diffrences. I would like to create a new one completely because I dont want to overwrite the Sirine and have her look exactly like my character.

I have acouple of programs I've been useing to edit it, very tediously I might add, I've been useing Sword Coast Keeper to select the character appearence to the Sirine after I was done editing it, DLTCEP to extract edit and reimport the files when I was completed and BAMWorkshop to edit the animation frames Pixel by Pixel.

Their in lies one of the problems I can't see myself editing 450 some odd frames. Is their some other way I can edit these? Maybe a program could create a 3D render and be able to select the joints for movement? Or is their another way altogether?

Also when I'm done with that is their a way I can make my character link to it without overwriting an existing .BAM file? Ex. I can make my character look like any other NPC and PC in the game but I don't know how to make it look like one I created.

Another problem is I would like to have a picture in the inventory area as well if you could tell me that also I would greatly appreciate it.

Basicly I would like my own completely custom character =).

As of right now the situation looks hopeless so if anyone could provide some insight I would greatly appreciate it.

If someone wants to help over msn messenger, please just send me a private message saying your msn or yahoo address and I will add you.

The short of it is that yes, you have to painstakingly edit every frame. No, you cannot add a new animation into the game, you have to replace an existing header. And, on top of it, Sirine won't have enough animations to suit a protagonist ie weapons/armor etc). Paperdoll is iirc somewhat easier, you might want to take a look at Longer Road or Moiness Avatars - they have new paperdolls added. I would suggest as an easier way for you is to use Moiness avatars for long-haired females, replace hair color on it with the pure red. And imagine that your sirine got a dress.

And if I am wrong, let the more competent modders correct me :) But I did have a tragic experience trying to add one of Moiness already premade sets as a new Animation. It resulted in creating a likeness of BG2 water elemental upon selection with some funky color on it. :)

Well I don't need to do the armor one but having a diffrent look for each type of weapon would be nice.

I'm very surprised no one has gone through this and tried to import a brand new skin.

Thanks for your help mate, I just hope I can get 3DS Max to make a 3D image of the edited Sirine that looks like Red Sonja ( I have it from 8 diffrent angles so maybe).

I'm very surprised no one has gone through this and tried to import a brand new skin.

Because it was tried before without success; you will have to replace an existing animation (ie for all Sirines), just like Moiness is doing with replacing say all female elven wizards Avatars or all vampires etc.

There is a list of Headers in one of IDS files (I think it was IDS, can't remeber off hand). Each Header defines an array of animations for a particular avatar. The problem is that you cannot add a new Header to that list. You can just replace one that exists already. Hard-coded issue, I suppose, or something to that extent. At least that was the case when I tried to add a new animation in a good year or so ago. I took the array that worked just fine when an existing header was replaced by simply renaming all the frames and over-writing the old ones; added the header to the list, it became selectable on the CRE; selected it on the CRE. Summoned CRE. Observed an elongated bluish-colorish blob walking on the screen instead of a lovely long-haired female.

Archived