You thoughts on romances.

Domi

In that case, you have more information than I and I'll yield to your judgment. So much for Salomeya.

I think if Domi were to develop a relationship for her, your suggestion of a brief and sotrmy affair would probably be the most plausible option, but I'm afraid I just can't pciture her living happily ever after.

She sounds like a sweetie.

But she still might be, um, interesting to have around

Oh she's definitely my favourite of the NPC's, I just don't think I'd like to have my character romance her, he's in no rush to meet his maker.

I think if Domi were to develop a relationship for her, your suggestion of a brief and sotrmy affair would probably be the most plausible option, but I'm afraid I just can't pciture her living happily ever after.

When I drafted the romantic sequence topics, it ended up being a game of cat-and-mouse, where Salomeya got bored with it every time PC tried to take an upper hand. I'm thinking that other approaches might feel sentimentalized and artificial ie a-la Viconia's romance.

I can also imagine a scenario where two evil people are united in a kind of Bonnie and Clyde kind of way, where their malicious intent is directed at everyone else, not each other.

The quote ("united in a ... way") makes it seem like Bonnie & Clyde didn't actually love each other, while all the evidence points to them doing just that. That in no way distracts from their anti-social behaviour, of course, but it's just one example that "evil people can love." It also helps to define "your view" of evil - the Mexica (Aztecs) didn't think it was evil sacrificing multitudes of people yearly, but we (or the overwhelming majority of us) surely would class it as evil.

Sorry. Too tired to make myself understood, perhaps. I've been up all night and now it's time to do some busywork. Just to clarify: I'm not singling out berelinde here, just trying to add something to the discussion. As you were.

No, that was not my intent. I did not mean to imply that Bonnie and Clyde did not love each other. Using ambiguous terminology again, which always seems to get me in trouble, I meant that it was more of an extreme projection of an 'us vs. them' mentality.

I think we might be saying the same thing.

I think so too. I've always seen them (and Buck & Blanche) as extremely "clannish" - trust no outsiders, everything our kin does must be defended against the ignorant non-kin, etc.

And now I really have to get busy.

Have a nice day/night/whatever it is at whatever places you may be.

No argument here - evil people can love, and love can do weird tricks like redemption, or play the evil spirit as well. Love is too compilcated to assign it any particular quality or definition. It's just when I look at a romance, I like to find a particular vibe that works, and that could be attractive, and in Salomeya's specific case, I felt it would dissapoint a player, just how little he can engage her. Rizdaer's romance, or even Diriel's felt more rewarding. But I might still go back to the drawing board on S.

Thanks everyone for discussion. I've now have decided which 4 characters will be romance-enabled. I'd like it to be as natural as possible when the mod comes out, so I don't want to tell right now who will get the additional romantic sequences, conflicts etc (ie in addition to regular flirting). :)

Each romantic sequences will consist from 12 romance-specific talks (additional to 14-16 talks from the friendship track that all NPCs get) + flirts+ conflicts and will be initiated depending on PCs choices during first friendship talks.

At that time I will be restricting the romances based only on PC's gender and responces.

Well, another addition will be a tongue-in-cheek player-driven kind of alternative romance path for one of the romances - I just couldn't resist writing it and I hope to keep it within the bound of good taste. ;) There will be an easily distinguishable option if the player changes his/her mind and wants to go back to the regular romance at any time.

Well, another addition will be a tongue-in-cheek player-driven kind of alternative romance path for one of the romances - I just couldn't resist writing it and I hope to keep it within the bound of good taste. ;)

Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead!

I was working on the first Flirtpack, and I am thinking to do the following for at least this one romance:

The random NPC-initiated flirts are divided into three categories: outdoors, indoors and at waking up. The probability of a flirt to trigger at each timer expiery is 75%. There will be 3 packs of flirts: Early, Mixed and Late, with Mixed being - you guessed it! a mixture of some early and some late flirts. I think that this mechanism will allow me to make flirts more spontaneous as opposite to something that comes up every hour on the hour. And, of course, they can be disabled via PID menue, and, I am following Belerinde's lead, adding an option to re-activate them as well. :)

I am thinking that I will after all incorporate some of PC's atributes into the romance initiation protocol, but not as prohibitive checks. Instead certain alignments, stats, race, class, skills, feats will give a boost or reduce the Liking Index in addition to your replies in the dialogues that index the replies. ???

Archived