Typos and inconsistencies in v12a11

Ascendency-Down

After Gorion's scroll in Candlekeep is read, a Kivan-dialogue is triggered. He states among other things that " ... Sarevok, the man who killed your foster father and did everything to kill you as well, is your half-brother! Evil cannot come closer than that. ...". A lot of the answers refer to this.

The problem is Kivan shouldn't know yet. In Gorion's scroll is revealed that the PC is a child of Bhaal - and that "a man who calls himself Sarevok is the worst danger. He has studied here at Candlekeep and thus knows a great deal about your history and who you are." I agree that the PC, Kivan or any other NPC can presume with the utmost probability that the armored figure who slew Gorion was Sarevok - but at this point of the game they do not know for sure that Sarevok is a Bhaalspawn, too. It's more likely that they don't even suspect Sarevok's true heritage at all.

My proposal: Postpone the dialogue until the last doubts are gone after the conversation with Tamoko. Probably needs further revision to reflect the changed situation.

Hate to say this, but there is only one line I could find where the specific connection was directly made:

D:\Black Isle\BaldursGateTutu\script compiler\decompiled\_TAMOKO.d

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN 14 // from: 11.1
 SAY #80501 /* ~Sarevok seeks to destroy everyone, not just you. You are of particular interest because of your shared origins with him. You are a possible rival, one of the few that are worthy of his personal attention. Above all else, you are family. I see this is startling news, though likely you have suspected as much. Does this disturb you? It should not; monsters are often closer to us than we like to think. You are siblings, and the paths open to him are yours as well, though he has been racing down his from his earliest days. You had Gorion to guide you, did you not? Sarevok had no one. He draws his strength from his hatred, from the thought of rising above those he knows to be inferior. His divine blood hungers for conquest, and that is why he must be defeated, but not killed. He serves another, but does not know it.~ */
 IF ~~ THEN REPLY #80502 /* ~I will hear no more! He will die for what he has done, and I cannot be dissuaded to do otherwise!~ */ GOTO 12
 IF ~~ THEN REPLY #80503 /* ~Divine blood? He serves another? Of what do you speak?~ */ GOTO 15
END

Quickly and easily done by changing the BAF call and the D to reflect

Global(X#HalfBrotherRevealed","GLOBAL",1); plus an

ADD_TRANS_ACTION ~_TAMOKO~ BEGIN 14 END BEGIN END ~SetGlobal(X#HalfBrotherRevealed","GLOBAL",1)~

This also effects some of Shar-Teel's dialogue. Unfortunately, that means the likelyhood of seeing the discussion is 1 sub-branch of 1 conversation on the fully "good" path (something you can't do in Shar-Teel's case, and probably only me and Berelinde (maybe Western Paladin too) in Kivan's case.

Do we want to go ahead with this, or make the dialogue more vague?

'Tis done!

In X#KIVAN1.BAF:

IF
InParty(Myself)
CombatCounter(0)
!See([ENEMY])
GlobalGT("Chapter","GLOBAL",5)
Global("X#HalfBrotherRevealed","GLOBAL",1)
Global("P#KnowBhaal","GLOBAL",1)
Global("KiBhaal","GLOBAL",0)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
PlaySong(0)
PlaySound("kivan99")
IncrementGlobal("KiBhaal","GLOBAL",1)
RealSetGlobalTimer("KiBhaalTime","GLOBAL",1)
StartDialogueNoSet(Player1)
END

In X#KIVAN.D

ADD_TRANS_ACTION ~_TAMOKO~ BEGIN 14 END BEGIN END
~SetGlobal(X#HalfBrotherRevealed","GLOBAL",1)~

BAF triggers relevant dialogue after IncrementGlobal("KiBhaal","GLOBAL",1), so we have fixed this.

Guest Ginger the Pedant

Hiya,

I'm glad to see the registering problem isn't just restricted to me! I shall wait and see what happens...

And in the meantime:

* Branwen asked Charname about his faith; he replied that he had faith, and she said, 'Truly? 'Twas an err...' This may well be an archaic usage I'm not aware of and thus entirely appropriate, but in case it's not, 'err' is a verb, and the word would be 'error';

* She started telling me about her own faith: 'War is a force of change ... courage, decisiveness and will is required (should be are required) of warrior on the battlefield' (should be either 'warriors' or 'a warrior', I prefer the latter);

* She repeated that conversation later. Not sure what's going on there.

* Then she wanted to chat about her childhood: 'I must admit, I feel more at ease with you'. When Charname invites her to go on, she says, 'every youngling in our village ... they exhausted the land by their plunders more than once on my memory' (should be 'in my memory', or even better, 'in my lifetime')

* Jaheira was grilling Garrick about Silke: 'Garrick, did you know that Silke was planning to murder those merchants back in Beregost?' Garrick replied, 'she seemed pleasant enough ... and she had goodly purse'. Again that could be an archaic use, but I would've had it as 'a goodly purse'.

* Same conversation; Jaheira said, 'And you will do just about anything to get new materials for your song'; I think 'material' is more appropriate as it generally refers to intellectual property whereas 'materials' is used more to denote physical items, such as for building. Also, should be 'songs', as I assume he has more than one.

* Jaheira asked Imoen if she's known Charname all his life. Now this one's getting picky, and I don't know if it's actually possible, but when Imoen mentions the Cliche Store, there should be an accent acute on the e in Cliche. You know, if you want to get *really* pedantic about it, like I am ;)

* Branwen asked me if I wanted to hear more about the Northlands (she's very chatty...) and claimed that, 'I mostly remember ... our lands are mostly wild and uninhibited'. I guess she means uninhabited, given that she then talks about her people not being peasants. Being pedantic again, if she really did mean that her lands are uninhibited, perhaps 'untamed' is a better word, because 'uninhibited' just makes me think of her homeland getting smashed and dancing on the table, which amused me at least :(

* Charname asked her, in the same conversation, to tell him about the sea. She replied, 'Sea to us is a friend and nurturing mother ... and many boats drowned at the swish of her fickle and unpredictable hand'. The word 'drowned' is the only use of the past tense in this passage, and is a bit jarring. If she does want a past tense, because she's no longer at home and is recalling memories, I'd suggest 'were drowned' or 'have drowned', as they don't preclude the probability that boats are still being drowned there (which I assume is the case).

* Khalid had a mini-heart attack while Imoen was practicing pickpocketing on him. She said, 'How am I gonna improve, if I don't practice?.' Needs that last fullstop removed.

That's it for now, I have to go and terrorise some Smurfs...

Hiya,

I'm glad to see the registering problem isn't just restricted to me! I shall wait and see what happens...

And in the meantime:

* Branwen asked Charname about his faith; he replied that he had faith, and she said, 'Truly? 'Twas an err...' This may well be an archaic usage I'm not aware of and thus entirely appropriate, but in case it's not, 'err' is a verb, and the word would be 'error';

Changed to "error", because while one can err on the side of caution, it was an error to assign it to "an err". :(

* She started telling me about her own faith: 'War is a force of change ... courage, decisiveness and will is required (should be are required) of warrior on the battlefield' (should be either 'warriors' or 'a warrior', I prefer the latter);

changed to "a warrior on the battlefield"

* She repeated that conversation later. Not sure what's going on there.

I double checked this; everything is fine with the code (it increments the global correctly in the BAF, and thee is no block duplication or anything that references similar materials, for those code troubleshooters watching). I am pretty sure that the script did not set up for the next Romance Talk, and it worked the second time - did you have more LoveTalks?

Note to Domi, Andyr, et.al.; we still are getting these very very occasional, very random "hangs" on setting globals via script. Things that rely on closing the global via dialogue work great, but for no apparent reason these just randomly show up. They are not replicable on my install, but once in a great while I have had this on every version from v6 to v12 alpha 11. I thought it was the timer setting of only 1 second before closing the variables, but that doesn't make sense - then they would skip a talk, instead of repeat. Any ideas on troubleshooting this?

* Then she wanted to chat about her childhood: 'I must admit, I feel more at ease with you'. When Charname invites her to go on, she says, 'every youngling in our village ... they exhausted the land by their plunders more than once on my memory' (should be 'in my memory', or even better, 'in my lifetime')

fixed!

* Jaheira was grilling Garrick about Silke: 'Garrick, did you know that Silke was planning to murder those merchants back in Beregost?' Garrick replied, 'she seemed pleasant enough ... and she had goodly purse'. Again that could be an archaic use, but I would've had it as 'a goodly purse'.

nope, as far as I know, you are right! Fixed.

* Same conversation; Jaheira said, 'And you will do just about anything to get new materials for your song'; I think 'material' is more appropriate as it generally refers to intellectual property whereas 'materials' is used more to denote physical items, such as for building. Also, should be 'songs', as I assume he has more than one.

Changed to "new material for your songs"

* Jaheira asked Imoen if she's known Charname all his life. Now this one's getting picky, and I don't know if it's actually possible, but when Imoen mentions the Cliche Store, there should be an accent acute on the e in Cliche. You know, if you want to get *really* pedantic about it, like I am ;)

I would be fine with that, but I don't know how to do that in the western character set -- haven't seen it in game. Anyone from the non-US/UK versions know how to trick the game into recognizing special characters?

* Branwen asked me if I wanted to hear more about the Northlands (she's very chatty...) and claimed that, 'I mostly remember ... our lands are mostly wild and uninhibited'. I guess she means uninhabited, given that she then talks about her people not being peasants. Being pedantic again, if she really did mean that her lands are uninhibited, perhaps 'untamed' is a better word, because 'uninhibited' just makes me think of her homeland getting smashed and dancing on the table, which amused me at least :D

Pretty funny, but you are most likely expressing author intent (Branwen is no Valley Girl, in spite of her portrait!). Changed to "untamed".

* Charname asked her, in the same conversation, to tell him about the sea. She replied, 'Sea to us is a friend and nurturing mother ... and many boats drowned at the swish of her fickle and unpredictable hand'. The word 'drowned' is the only use of the past tense in this passage, and is a bit jarring. If she does want a past tense, because she's no longer at home and is recalling memories, I'd suggest 'were drowned' or 'have drowned', as they don't preclude the probability that boats are still being drowned there (which I assume is the case).

changed to "have drowned"

* Khalid had a mini-heart attack while Imoen was practicing pickpocketing on him. She said, 'How am I gonna improve, if I don't practice?.' Needs that last fullstop removed.

fixed!

That's it for now, I have to go and terrorise some Smurfs...

EEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :p

Guest Ginger

Bonjour,

I found a few more ... if these thingies in 12-12 make proofreading easier (and mean I can avoid Minsc for the rest of the game without feeling like I'm slacking off, hee hee) I might have a look at them, but in the meantime, some more pedantry:

* Archibald (the guy with the book that triggered the Myr'Cutio quest) accosted me on the Carnival map. He said, 'Well, I'm a librarian. Or well I used to be' ... needs commas: 'Or, well, I used to be'

* The Myr'Cutio quest itself acted strangely. As soon as we killed him, his zombies started declaring: 'Zombie: You will? Oh thankyou so vewy much!' or 'Zombie: I have met a child named Albert'. These repeated themselves each time a zombie died. All rather strange. After the battle Garrick seemed to want to say something, but all that came up was his PC-initiated-talk menu. (Albert and Rufie later behaved normally, though Khalid seemed to want to say something and didn't.)

* In the temple at Nashkel, the priest (...Nalin?) told me about Brage and his recent antics. Branwen declared that Brage sounded like he'd achieved clarity of vision. Nalin said, 'You envy a man who had slaughtered everyone he loved?' My reply options are 'Yes, what kind of services ...' or 'No, we have no need'. I don't know if he should phrase that as a question, really, since it is unpaladinlike of my Charname to reply 'yes' to his question ... ;) oh well, it amused me, anyway...

* Elminster accosted us again in Beregost. He had a little chat with Garrick, asked his name, then replied, 'Garrick? I'll keep yon name and face in my head, lad'. I'm not sure if that's the best use of 'yon', which means 'that (noun) all the way over there'. (Caveat: as far as I know!) Also, he refers to Garrick with the 'you/ye' form, and Jaheira and everyone else in the 'thou/thee' form, which is a bit more respect than Garrick probably deserves...

* Another Branwen lovetalk: Charname got a scratch or two, and she said, 'For all your skill and aptitude, sometimes I see a rush, wild and reckless youth' should be 'rash, wild'

* Imoen initiated a chat with Garrick: 'Hey, Garrick, got any good romance stories?' Her response to his reply is, 'Yea, well that's all true and such ... Every once-'n-while its fun to hear a romantic tale'. Just needs an apostrophe in the 'its'

* Jaheira asked Imoen what she wanted to do when she grew up, and Imoen took her life in her hands by replying, 'And I'd bet you have an advice ready for me that very minute on actin' grown-up, aren't you, *auntie* Jaheira?' The 'an' before 'advice' is redundant, and 'aren't' should be 'won't'

* In the last line of this conversation, Imoen talks about 'Puffguts' with his name in inverted commas, where there have never been inverted commas before.

Khalid seems to be piddling-little-error free so far!

Honestly, most of these things are so fiddly that nobody would notice them, so apologies again if I'm being *really* finicky... :(

Wow, you are a little finicky. I ran through those whole dialogues (except for the Branwen ones), and never saw those. I guess that's why there are alot of spellcheckers working on this.

And I reported that Myr'cutio zombie bug a while ago, but they gave me the journal entry about refusing to find Alberts dog in the text box every time I hit them. I also reported the Garrick pulling up the PID. Morgan said that both of those have been/will be fixed (I forgot which one he said).

Sorry for the double-post, but I forgot to mention this. I went through the 'Free Abela the Nymph' quest, and midway through the dialogue while I was trying to convice him to let her go just simply cut off, and I couldn't talk to them again. I'm not sure if it was because of an NPC interjection or not.

Bonjour,

I found a few more ... if these thingies in 12-12 make proofreading easier (and mean I can avoid Minsc for the rest of the game without feeling like I'm slacking off, hee hee) I might have a look at them, but in the meantime, some more pedantry:

Cool! Yes, but they take away context, unless you can follow the jump from code to string to code. The TRA files actually pull all of the text added by a file into one big numbered block, like an index; it is easy to scan through and find typographical errors, etc., but there is no easy way of referencing who is speaking (unless you put up both the TRA file and the original code up in a split frame in an editor). The advantage is that you can distribute the files to different folks and they can translate each line into another langusge; then the person installing can choose one of the new languages (a set of TRAnslated files) on the fly and WeiDU will build the whole mod in that language. It is cool and impressive technology (at least toi me!).

* Archibald (the guy with the book that triggered the Myr'Cutio quest) accosted me on the Carnival map. He said, 'Well, I'm a librarian. Or well I used to be' ... needs commas: 'Or, well, I used to be'

fixed

* The Myr'Cutio quest itself acted strangely. As soon as we killed him, his zombies started declaring: 'Zombie: You will? Oh thankyou so vewy much!' or 'Zombie: I have met a child named Albert'. These repeated themselves each time a zombie died. All rather strange. After the battle Garrick seemed to want to say something, but all that came up was his PC-initiated-talk menu. (Albert and Rufie later behaved normally, though Khalid seemed to want to say something and didn't.)

Please, oh please, Ginger... tell me you are using v11 or an alpha before alpha 8... otherwise, I may just go jump off a bridge ;). I supposedly fixed these (and successfully playtested them) several alphas back... if they are showing up ingame for you on a later alpha, then we have identified a huge problem... you are reporting from the version you set up for your husband's game to continue, right?

* In the temple at Nashkel, the priest (...Nalin?) told me about Brage and his recent antics. Branwen declared that Brage sounded like he'd achieved clarity of vision. Nalin said, 'You envy a man who had slaughtered everyone he loved?' My reply options are 'Yes, what kind of services ...' or 'No, we have no need'. I don't know if he should phrase that as a question, really, since it is unpaladinlike of my Charname to reply 'yes' to his question ... :p oh well, it amused me, anyway...

Calling on Domi, here... how about we just remove the "Yes," and start the line with "What services"?

* Elminster accosted us again in Beregost. He had a little chat with Garrick, asked his name, then replied, 'Garrick? I'll keep yon name and face in my head, lad'. I'm not sure if that's the best use of 'yon', which means 'that (noun) all the way over there'. (Caveat: as far as I know!) Also, he refers to Garrick with the 'you/ye' form, and Jaheira and everyone else in the 'thou/thee' form, which is a bit more respect than Garrick probably deserves...

ok, fixed, but now mismatch between "thy" and "ye". Suggestions?

@81 = ~Garrick? I’ll keep thy name and face in my head, lad. I expect great things of ye. But now, I must address that which is weighing down the mind of <CHARNAME>.~

* Another Branwen lovetalk: Charname got a scratch or two, and she said, 'For all your skill and aptitude, sometimes I see a rush, wild and reckless youth' should be 'rash, wild'

Those darned Fraternities -- showing up where least expeccted :D changed to "rash, wild, and reckless"

* Imoen initiated a chat with Garrick: 'Hey, Garrick, got any good romance stories?' Her response to his reply is, 'Yea, well that's all true and such ... Every once-'n-while its fun to hear a romantic tale'. Just needs an apostrophe in the 'its'

fixed (along with 4 other occurrences of "its" instead of the expected "it's" usage for "it is" that popped up in the search).

* Jaheira asked Imoen what she wanted to do when she grew up, and Imoen took her life in her hands by replying, 'And I'd bet you have an advice ready for me that very minute on actin' grown-up, aren't you, *auntie* Jaheira?' The 'an' before 'advice' is redundant, and 'aren't' should be 'won't'

recast as

@124 = ~And I'd bet you'd have some advice ready for me that very minute on actin’ grown-up, wouldn't you, *auntie* Jaheira?~

does that fit?

* In the last line of this conversation, Imoen talks about 'Puffguts' with his name in inverted commas, where there have never been inverted commas before.

found Jaheira using the 'Puffguts'; searching... found only one other occurrence, and fixed both to 'Pufguts'. If imoen is saying the line, then that is a bug; logging it and setting aside for a code-diving expedition!

Khalid seems to be piddling-little-error free so far!

Awesome. He is light on content. Alora, Khalid, and Safana seem to be the NPCs with the least to say, so good places for independent modders to look at expanding storylines. There is good content for each, just less!

Honestly, most of these things are so fiddly that nobody would notice them, so apologies again if I'm being *really* finicky... :(

No such thing... I really mean it. Worst comes to worst, it doesn't get changed, but bringing it up means it can be at least viewed and discussed!

Plus, I venture to guess that since this is a relatively hassle free intellectual community, where "U RULZ, IB da BMB! LOL!" is generally ignored and people are thinking "outside of the box", you might be very suprised at how many phd's, literary afficianados, and even ancient greek scholars are lurking and playing...

When it is not a paid project with a budget to meet and profit to make, it always pays off to spend the time for ultimate detail and quality control.

Wow, you are a little finicky. I ran through those whole dialogues (except for the Branwen ones), and never saw those. I guess that's why there are alot of spellcheckers working on this.

Yep, lots of people with different eyes/backgrounds/levels of detail/language backgrounds/experience levels/playstyles; it is absolutely no wonder that JCompton got smart and grabbed some of the most experienced modders for The Broken HourGlass... where else would you find folks who have had the advantage of this kind of community support and feedback? Pretty cool stuff

And I reported that Myr'cutio zombie bug a while ago, but they gave me the journal entry about refusing to find Alberts dog in the text box every time I hit them. I also reported the Garrick pulling up the PID. Morgan said that both of those have been/will be fixed (I forgot which one he said).

Yep, both of these are Sound references, the first thing I did in-project. From a clean install of BG1NPC, none of the alphas beyond 6 should have the Zombies saying anything weird when being hit (or Kagain's Bandit, or several other quest characters).

Sorry for the double-post, but I forgot to mention this. I went through the 'Free Abela the Nymph' quest, and midway through the dialogue while I was trying to convice him to let her go just simply cut off, and I couldn't talk to them again. I'm not sure if it was because of an NPC interjection or not.

I am going back to check on this one; I do think it is an interjection. Did you by any chance install the Tweak that allows Valen/Solufain Style interjections? I would like to check on how that works, and if we do anything related to it.

Calling on Domi, here... how about we just remove the "Yes," and start the line with "What services"?

This is one of the artifacts of adding NPCs interjection before PC's responces. Try adding an extra line for Nalin in the corresponding ICT to make PC's responces to make sense, ie something like:

(Shakes his head at Branwen) But you have not come here to talk about Brage at length, did you? Do you have need of supplies that the Temple of Helm can procure?

Then PCs responces will match the end of the interjection. Since you TRA'fied already, you'll have to add it to the end of the file, but it should be easy otherwise.

OK, this is harder than before... but that is ok, just a new set of steps to learn. I'm very glad we put this off until the last minute.

I_C_T ~_NALIN~ 1 X#BranwenBrage
== ~_BRANWJ~ IF ~InParty("branwen") !Dead("branwen") !StateCheck("branwen",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN @36
== ~_NALIN~ IF ~InParty("branwen") !Dead("branwen") !StateCheck("branwen",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN @37
END

@36   = ~A man so cursed with madness as to be berserk? I almost envy him his clarity of vision.~
@37   = ~You envy a man who had slain everyone he loved?~

end of file TRA # = 65, so

changes:

I_C_T ~_NALIN~ 1 X#BranwenBrage
== ~_BRANWJ~ IF ~InParty("branwen") !Dead("branwen") !StateCheck("branwen",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN @36
== ~_NALIN~ IF ~InParty("branwen") !Dead("branwen") !StateCheck("branwen",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN @37
== ~_NALIN~ IF ~InParty("branwen") !Dead("branwen") !StateCheck("branwen",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN @66
END

@36   = ~A man so cursed with madness as to be berserk? I almost envy him his clarity of vision.~
@37   = ~You envy a man who had slain everyone he loved?~
@66   = ~*shakes his head at Branwen* But you have not come here to talk about Brage at length. Do you have need of supplies that the Temple of Helm can procure?~

Hard to say if this is a TUTU- or BG1 NPC-bug: When you talk to Lusselyn (the bloke who initiates the slime-miniquest in the Splurging Sturgeon) for the first time, there are no visible answer options at all after his opening sentence "Belch... Drink up.", so that the dialogue can't be ended. Hitting the "1"-key which seems to trigger the unseen answer is the only way to resume the game. More strangeness: After this "dialogue" the message "Your journal has been updated. - General Informatio Has Been Added." appears, but the journal entry contains only the date.

Archived