Typos and inconsistencies in v12a11

Ascendency-Down

That one is a Tutu original... I have had the same thing happen on a clean install. I will check, though; I think Macready fixes this in EasyTutu, and we can certainly fix this again if necessary. If we do abscond with his dialogue, then we have broken it again, so I will put this at the top of the list to check.

Guest Ginger

Heya,

Please, oh please, Ginger... tell me you are using v11 or an alpha before alpha 8... otherwise, I may just go jump off a bridge :(. I supposedly fixed these (and successfully playtested them) several alphas back... if they are showing up ingame for you on a later alpha, then we have identified a huge problem... you are reporting from the version you set up for your husband's game to continue, right?

Um ... sorry. It's on the main PC with v12. I de-installed v11 and put v12 in, so I'm assuming I'm in v12 now, at any rate. Out of morbid curiosity I loaded up one of the old v11 saves, and found that the protective spells around a bunch of people I'd just killed were floating around disembodied, so I'm assuming I installed v12 correctly. You can never tell with me, though, I'm deeply technologically challenged...

ok, fixed, but now mismatch between "thy" and "ye". Suggestions?

@81 = ~Garrick? I’ll keep thy name and face in my head, lad. I expect great things of ye. But now, I must address that which is weighing down the mind of <CHARNAME>.~

I'd just go wtih 'Garrick? I'll keep thy name and face in my head, lad. I expect great things of thee. But now...'

While I'm here, *insert burbling*, can I just say how cool it is that you guys have even used 'wherefore' correctly. And can conjugate the 'thee/thou' form even better than I can. I've never seen anything like it!

recast as

@124 = ~And I'd bet you'd have some advice ready for me that very minute on actin’ grown-up, wouldn't you, *auntie* Jaheira?~

does that fit?

Perfect!

Awesome. He is light on content. Alora, Khalid, and Safana seem to be the NPCs with the least to say, so good places for independent modders to look at expanding storylines. There is good content for each, just less!

Oh, that's a bit sad, Khalid was always my favourite BG character. (Dynaheir was a close second - and no, I still haven't forgiven Bioware for the first chapter of BG2 *mutter, grumble*) But it would be out of character for him to be a chatterbox, I guess.

However! I noticed something in my husband's game. Khalid told Alora that she'd freeze unless she put more clothes on. His last line in the conversation is 'would that it t'were so'. (Or close enough, I didn't write it down.) The 'it' is a redundancy, because 't'were' is a contraction of 'it were'.

I venture to guess that since this is a relatively hassle free intellectual community, where "U RULZ, IB da BMB! LOL!" is generally ignored and people are thinking "outside of the box"

Yes, it is nice here. And I'm very glad to help where I can!

Ascendency-Down, Niai, berelinde...

Hard to say if this is a TUTU- or BG1 NPC-bug: When you talk to Lusselyn (the bloke who initiates the slime-miniquest in the Splurging Sturgeon) for the first time, there are no visible answer options at all after his opening sentence "Belch... Drink up.", so that the dialogue can't be ended. Hitting the "1"-key which seems to trigger the unseen answer is the only way to resume the game. More strangeness: After this "dialogue" the message "Your journal has been updated. - General Informatio Has Been Added." appears, but the journal entry contains only the date.

Well, I found our problem, and it isn't anything we touch. On a clean install of EasyTutu, no BG1NPC project;

BEGIN ~_LUSSEL~
//////////////////////////////////////////////////
// WARNING: this file contains non-trivial WEIGHTs

IF WEIGHT #0 ~NumberOfTimesTalkedTo(0)
~ THEN BEGIN 0 // from:
 SAY #85023 /* ~Belch... Drink up.~ */
 IF ~~ THEN REPLY #-1 /* <Invalid Strref -1> */ DO ~~ UNSOLVED_JOURNAL #0 /* ~<NO TEXT>~ */ EXIT
END

Before we mess with this, I am passing it along to Macready's attention; better let a master modder who knows the ins and outs of the regular code (he has been rebuilding the journal entris and generally debugging Tutu for half a year now) get first crack at it.

@ everybody... as crash priority as you can, please...

on my EasyTutu_TOB, Garrick's Zombies and Kagain's Bandit do not spout random strings when hit or dying. Garrick completes his quest and triggers the talk about the cool new threads (armor) instead of his PID. Can people please check this/report on this in regular Tutu and EasyTutu?

a double check on the install, Ginger -- could you please pm me a copy of your weidu.log, your BG1NPC.tp2, and a savegame close to Garrick's quest?

Plus, all of the changes you suggested in your last post are fixed as per your suggestion. Well, almost -- I think the thing is a malformed stutter, so I tried

"it-t'were". As a side note, Khalid's stutter is good characterization, but I have a friend and a relative both with pretty deep stutters; they use some cool twisty language formations and are incredibly creative in finding ways of avoiding the trigger consonants. I know it is a game, and I know we are following BioWare -- but just an aside.

Hello -

Hard to say if this is a TUTU- or BG1 NPC-bug: When you talk to Lusselyn (the bloke who initiates the slime-miniquest in the Splurging Sturgeon) for the first time, there are no visible answer options at all after his opening sentence "Belch... Drink up.", so that the dialogue can't be ended. Hitting the "1"-key which seems to trigger the unseen answer is the only way to resume the game. More strangeness: After this "dialogue" the message "Your journal has been updated. - General Informatio Has Been Added." appears, but the journal entry contains only the date.

Well, I found our problem, and it isn't anything we touch. On a clean install of EasyTutu, no BG1NPC project;

BEGIN ~_LUSSEL~

~ THEN BEGIN 0 // from:
 IF ~~ THEN REPLY #-1 /* <Invalid Strref -1> */ DO ~~ UNSOLVED_JOURNAL #0 /* ~<NO TEXT>~ */ EXIT
END

Confirmed. This is not a BG1NPC issue.

I inherited a small amount of crap when I integrated the Tutufix journal bits into the base EasyTutu installation. IIRC the organized journal simply hex patches compiled DLGs in order to change the journal section of a particular entry. That's all well and good, but that requires you to have your offsets perfect, otherwise you start randomly overwriting bits of a perfectly good dialog. In the past when I've found invalid strrefs (or in one case, a corrupted trigger) close to a journal entry, I've traced it back to that. I suspect something similar has happened here.

I'll get it patched up for the next release. I may go ahead and do an interim release, as I've no idea how long it will take me to finish plodding though the rest of the journal.

Thanks for the tip.

Darn, I can't believe I forgot to report that. I got that too. And about that Abela the Nymph bug, the mods I have are EasyTutu, BG1NPC v11 (I haven't installed v12a11 because I very rarely get any BG related working, let alone with an alpha version), the latest Tutufix (v14 I think), EasyTutu NPC kit thing, EasyTutu Spawn Randomizer.

If it helps, for BG2 I have Quest Pack, SP Collection, RPG Dungeon Kitpack, Yasraena, Kivan and Deheriana, NPC Flirt Pack, and Crossmod Banter Pack (which for some reason isn't working).

Hello -

BEGIN ~_LUSSEL~

~ THEN BEGIN 0 // from:
END

The above is now fixed locally. Also, the trigger for state 3 was incorrect (checking for a value of 0 instead of 1), so I fixed that. I also did the UNSOLVED / SOLVED journal bits as well. These updates will be included in the next release of EasyTutu.

@ Macready -- sweeeeet! And fast, as usual. I have confirmed; we do not touch that whole interjection, so we don't need to do anything further either!

@ Grand Dracolich -- that is great, becuse that means we have a cool triple play going on: some folks are v11, some are v12 alphas, and some are multi-mods with v12 alphas. We have a good solid dragnet out complete with cross checks on different platforms. This is a Good Thing, even if it does not always make for easy tracking!

On v11, using TOB and/or Dorner's GTU part of Baldurdash (by definition all versions of EasyTutu), Kagain's Bandit should spout weird random stings when hit or killed. So should Garrick's Zombies, and many other creatures we add/modify in the gam. This is the initial bug that got me asking questions and volunteering to help out -- .cre files built on different installations were having strange sound references when installed, because we expected the .cre files to match a stable set of strrefs when they were created (there was no TOB, only Zool -- I mean only SoA! :(). In v12, we create more creatures by building from existing in-game creatures, and we tell the installation routine to rebuild the custom .cre's we add using defined references...

a very long-winded way of saying "we fix this". It should be fixed on any installation base, because it happens when installing -- unless perhaps it was not a "clean" install (uninstall BG1NPC fully, delete the folders, copy a clean override, chitin.key, etc. from backup unmodded game, or what I do... blow everything away, and reinstall a clean EasyTutu and go from there!).

As for Garrick, I really checked those LOCALS settings and rebuilt the interaction and related BAF. I may have done something boneheaded, which is why I need anyone and everyone to check their alpha installs, so I can troubleshoot it before we release next week ;)

I have the Nymph interjection problem sceduled for noon tomorrow, so I will post what I find then. Thank all of you for reporting!

Tiny typo at the late stage of the Dynaheir romance - the part missing in-game is bolded. Version 11 by the way.

In one of the conversations, the first option available is "Too long the dreams have haunted me and made me doubt. Finally the dream came untainted and true. In it (I) saw myself for what *I* am, and for what I must become.

<And wow, that miniscule grammar error aside, the dialogue in the romance really is top-notch stuff. Kudos to whoever wrote it, it's been really fun to play.>

By the way, in Imoens interjection when the kid runs up to you starting the whole 'get the body from the Temple of Umberlee' quest, I'm not sure she should be saying 'by Mask'. I've always thought of Mask as a god of malicious thieves. I'm not sure, I'll check the footnote about Demarches of Mask on Icewind Dale 2, just to be sure.

And I might not be posting up too many typos in the next little while. I just discovered software emulation, and a DOSBox/Lemmings combo (my favourite game when I was 3 :p ).

Grand_Dracolich, I really appreciate your work. No problem on the backing off; we are about at the stage where we have screened many files many times since v11 anyways :p. I understand completely about the lures of the gaming wild. I have these stupid little shortcuts on my desktop for Mechwarrior4, CivilizationIII, Jagged Alliance2, Alpha Centauri, and X2-The Threat...

gootaa delete the shortcuts soon, or my mouse will hover just a little too long over one of those spots!

I know what you mean, Grand_Dracolich! I'm not doing much gaming of any kind lately because of an impossible RL work schedule and some proofreading projects.

But the beauty of gaming is that it will wait. And when you *do* go back to it, there will be even more fun stuff you want to try!

Guest Ginger

Hiya,

More fiddly little queries from me...

* Imoen took off with Ajantis' statuette. 'Wow, this is quite well done...' Ajantis replied, 'What are you looking at there? ... Would you be so kind and return it, please?' If this is meant to be an 'Ajantis gets his phrases wrong' indication (like my friend who refuses to believe that 'irregardless' is not a word) it works well, but in case it's not, the phrase is 'Would you be so kind as to return it, please?'

* Khalid started talking to Jaheira about settling down and having kids. 'D-do you think we will ever settle anywhere...' In the last line, he says (of a future daughter) 'Then she is as beautiful, wise and strong, and she will be my joy...' He's mixed his tenses up, should be 'Then she will be as beautiful...'

* One of the Imoen-to-Dynaheir 'do you have any spare time?' conversations. Dynaheir replies, 'Nevermind. I suppose I had better listen to thy question, or I'll never have you curious inquisitions end' - should be 'your curious inquisitions'.

* The last line of the above conversation has Imoen say, 'I dunno ... it really sounds like yer trying' to dodge ... Dynahier' (spelled Dynaheir incorrectly)

* We'd cleared out the mines quite some time ago, and helped Prism out with his Greywolf problem. We wandered onto that map again (it's about four weeks later in game time ... I've been exploring) and Kivan, who had not been with us before on that map, piped up with 'I bow to you with respect, master artist...' A bit odd, 'cos Prism was long dead, Kivan had no tangible way of knowing what had happened, and we weren't anywhere near the sculpture.

* While there, we finally took pity on Xan and let him into the party. He initiated a banter with Dynaheir: 'As a Greycloack, I observed... ' Superfluous 'c' in 'Greycloak' (I assume. I am by no means an expert on the FR setting and idiosyncratic spellings thereof!)

* Same conversation. Xan: 'Mistress Dynaheir, the aura of mystery, in which you shroud... ' The comma after 'mystery' is unnecessary

* Still the same conversation, and I'm on shaky ground here, but Dynaheir replies: 'Ever thou sound unsure of success ... I willst not ... Thou would'st have every persona to stand still ...' I'm not really an expert on conjugating 'thou', and I'd need to ask a higher authority here (ie you guys) but I've never seen the 'st' ending on a verb associated with 'I'. That's more of a query than a correction. Also, 'thou would'st': I'm not sure about that apostrophe, either, as it indicates contraction, and 'wouldst' is a perfectly valid word on its own. Lastly, does she mean 'persona' (mask or facade, perceived personality) or just 'person'? I know 'persona' *can* mean just 'person', but don't know why it would be used instead.

* Same conversation. Xan says 'I have drunken wine' ... again a valid construction (I wouldn't be asking if he'd said 'I have gotten wine', for example) but I'm not sure if it's used here as a deliberate archaism or if he just means 'I have drunk wine'.

* Xan initiated a chat with Jaheira: 'The life is hollow, Jaheira...' Does he mean 'This life is hollow' or 'Life is hollow'? (I prefer the former)

* Same conversation. Jaheira replies, '... And more successes. If you do not have stomach for failures... ' should be 'have the stomach for failures... '

* Same conversation. Xan says, 'With this attitude it is no wonder that we barely escape with our life every waking hour... ' should be 'escape with our lives'

* Xan again, to Charname. '*sigh* go ahead, ask me, why a mage carries a sword around.' His last line in the conversation is 'You are a man of honor... Be our circumstances not so grave...' Not sure about that 'Be', and think it should be 'Were'.

* Same conversation. Xan: 'Be our circumstances not so grave, I would have forecasted...' I'm not sure about the validity of 'forecasted', but a more regular ending is just 'I would have forecast...'

* Kivan had a chat to Charname: 'I have noticed that you are the only one who does not try to change the subject when I mention Deheriana...' Charname's first option is '1. It might be because that look on your face... ' Should be 'might be because of that look'.

* Kivan started chatting to Dynaheir. 'Long is the way from Rashemen to Baldur's Gate...' Dynaheir replies, 'The Great Othlor gave me a purpose (I think purpose, anyway, I can't read my handwriting...) of words of a truth-seer... ' Should be 'of the words of a truth-seer... '.

That's it for now...

G

Archived