Typos and inconsistencies in v12a11

Ascendency-Down

Hiya,

* Still the same conversation, and I'm on shaky ground here, but Dynaheir replies: 'Ever thou sound unsure of success ... I willst not ... Thou would'st have every persona to stand still ...' I'm not really an expert on conjugating 'thou', and I'd need to ask a higher authority here (ie you guys) but I've never seen the 'st' ending on a verb associated with 'I'. That's more of a query than a correction. Also, 'thou would'st': I'm not sure about that apostrophe, either, as it indicates contraction, and 'wouldst' is a perfectly valid word on its own. Lastly, does she mean 'persona' (mask or facade, perceived personality) or just 'person'? I know 'persona' *can* mean just 'person', but don't know why it would be used instead.

OK. Here, I'm in my element. Archaic usages rock, but there are rules. The quote should be 'Ever thou dost sound unsure of success... I would not... Thou wouldst have every person stand still... "

Justification: Only the 3rd person formal tense takes the archaic endings. "Would" is used in place of "wish." You could even lose the "have" in the last fragment and it would still be appropriate grammar.

You observe a lot of things that a non-native English speaker would get wrong. And it is true that for many of the BG1 NPC Project authors, English is not their primary language. English is a pain. It defies logic in many instances. It is also a rather flexible language, and has adapted, in many cases, to that which just "sounds right." The rest of your comments are definitely valid. But I believe they are related to the first sentence of this paragraph.

That is why proofreading the TRA files is important. I urge you to consider it. You have a good eye for detail.

Hey, Ginger, Berelinde, I just had an idea (about 5 seconds after berelinde asked about the possibility of drafting you in, Ginger, to help with overview/proofreads of the TRA files...)

tomorrow am I am going to set up a series of files on the alpha download site. Berelinde has been going through these files, which are compressed (next to no code) series of sentences, ready to glance over for typos and grammar and stuff. Ginger, if you wouldn't mind helping, they will be put up as straight text files; as long as you use wordpad or notepad, not MSWord, they should be fine.

If I put up the ones that are unfinished, and berelinde is working from one end, you from the other, and I simply remove the files I work through and log them all in this post click right here, , we could make a pretty powerful team (read that as two experts and lme hastily running ahead to open doors and carry parcels :p )...

Guest Ginger

Okay, will do! This sounds a lot easier than reinstalling the new version of v12 (which is why I haven't done it so far). If you put them up (your) tomorrow, I probably won't be able to do much till (my) tomorrow night ... argh, time difference ... but I should be able to make a pretty good start from there!

Thanks for unmuddling my second-person-singular queries earlier, Berelinde ... I'm truly amazed that so much of this project has been written as a non-primary language. I sound like a six-year-old when I try to write in my own second language (French) so I am once again awed...

That's like me... I keep leaving little "americanized' french mispronounciatios to entertain Domi, and so far she hasn't thrown anything at me (not even a little mud-slinging about "stupid 'americans' - think they have the right to the name just because they share the CANADIAN continent")

Jay sweeze un umurucaine, see voos plait, ou see voos ne plait pas :p

Unfortunately, unlike Kulyok, Jastey, Domi, and all these other double/triple/multiple language people, I am supposed to have French and German "basics" for the mus ed phd work, and I am afraid I still am worse off than a regular second-grader from Montreal!

Archived