Possible Player 2 Romance Bug

smaug

Me again. Started a new game earlier today - multiplayer this time. At the end of the first conversation with Amber, I directed her towards 'player' 2 (in fact also played by me ;o).

Did Amber's first quest to get the bracelet back, in the meantime picking up the Jaheira & Baron Ployer quest. Went over to the slums to finish it off, having my player 2 and Yoshimo die in the process (I suck :p). I resurrected Yoshimo first, went outside and rested after looting everything and as I went back in after resting Amber decided to choose that time to talk to player 2. Of course, he was still dead and my game crashed.

After failing another few times to kill baron ployer (Yes, I suck!), managed to get him down without anyone dying. While later, Amber approached P2 and engaged in conversation successfully.

Few other things I failed to mention - it was the first conversation she had with P2, the other conversation being with the bhaalspawn about her wanting to go find her bracelet (of course I joined her on that). Both characters are 'eligible' males with both over 12 Intelligence and Charisma.

I've had BG2 crash before, so I'm not sure whether it's just a random crash or a bug with Amber - but having her music start just before the game crashes is quite conspicious.

EDIT: Since finishing that first game I've installed the NPC Flirt Pack as well, but no other mods

Me again. Started a new game earlier today - multiplayer this time. At the end of the first conversation with Amber, I directed her towards 'player' 2 (in fact also played by me ;o).

Did Amber's first quest to get the bracelet back, in the meantime picking up the Jaheira & Baron Ployer quest. Went over to the slums to finish it off, having my player 2 and Yoshimo die in the process (I suck :p). I resurrected Yoshimo first, went outside and rested after looting everything and as I went back in after resting Amber decided to choose that time to talk to player 2. Of course, he was still dead and my game crashed.

After failing another few times to kill baron ployer (Yes, I suck!), managed to get him down without anyone dying. While later, Amber approached P2 and engaged in conversation successfully.

:p It never occurred to me that I should check if player2 was dead (for player1 it's irrelevant since the game ends when he/she dies). I'll add it to Amber's P2 talk triggers. However, I was unaware that' it'll cause the game to crash if the person being spoken to is dead. I would have imagined that it would cause the 'no valid replies or links' issue. Thanks for reporting this.

Few other things I failed to mention - it was the first conversation she had with P2, the other conversation being with the bhaalspawn about her wanting to go find her bracelet (of course I joined her on that). Both characters are 'eligible' males with both over 12 Intelligence and Charisma.

Amber talks about that bracelet with the protagonist regardless of the P2 romance status, because P1 is the leader of the party. There are few other similar situations where Amber will talk to P1 during P2 romance (like low reputation warnings for example). In addition, the player2 can't cause Amber to leave the party via the (love)talks, apart from very extreme cases. Amber is well aware who the boss is!

I've had BG2 crash before, so I'm not sure whether it's just a random crash or a bug with Amber - but having her music start just before the game crashes is quite conspicious.

I'll add the !Dead() checks nevertheless, as it's an obvious oversight on my part. :D

I should warn you that in v1 and 1.1 there is a serious bug in P2 romance track that will cause amber to repeat the same flirt line over and over again. However, the bug will come apparent only if Amber runs out of flirts that she initiates.

EDIT Instead of !Dead(Player2) I must use !StateCheck(Player2,STATE_DEAD), because Dead() needs to be used with a deathvariable, which PCs don't have.

You must be starting to hate me with all the bad news I bring.

Been playing on and off with Amber v2 - still the same multiplayer game, still in Chapter 2. I managed to get Amber back from her kidnapping, enlisting Minsc to help on the quest till I got Amber back. Unfortunately, my Player 2 is unable to initiate conversation. Thus I'm unable to ask her about Waterdeep / how she is / flirt, etc.

I thought it might've been that she needed to converse first, but she has initiated a conversation (The one about parents) and I still can't initiate a conversation. The Bhaalspawn, however, can still do so (Although the only option is to leave Amber alone).

When installing Amber v2, I uninstalled the Flirt Pack and then Amber v1.1, proceeding to unzip the Amber files to the BG2 folder. Remembering I shouldn't have, I deleted everything to do with Amber, extracted once more and proceeded to install Amber v2 and then the Flirt Pack once more.

Everything before the kidnapping was working fine, strangely enough. I've tried Shift+K, restarting BG2 and simple reloading but it doesn't seem to work.

Been playing on and off with Amber v2 - still the same multiplayer game, still in Chapter 2. I managed to get Amber back from her kidnapping, enlisting Minsc to help on the quest till I got Amber back. Unfortunately, my Player 2 is unable to initiate conversation. Thus I'm unable to ask her about Waterdeep / how she is / flirt, etc.

I thought it might've been that she needed to converse first, but she has initiated a conversation (The one about parents) and I still can't initiate a conversation. The Bhaalspawn, however, can still do so (Although the only option is to leave Amber alone).

When installing Amber v2, I uninstalled the Flirt Pack and then Amber v1.1, proceeding to unzip the Amber files to the BG2 folder. Remembering I shouldn't have, I deleted everything to do with Amber, extracted once more and proceeded to install Amber v2 and then the Flirt Pack once more.

Everything before the kidnapping was working fine, strangely enough. I've tried Shift+K, restarting BG2 and simple reloading but it doesn't seem to work.

Uh, that was me. Forgot I deleted all my cookies.

Hmmm... I can't really figure out what's wrong offhand. I think I will need to wait for Meira to come home (in 8 hours or so) before we can find out what's happening here.

Meanwhile, could you please check the value of the M#AmberMatch and M#AmberRomanceActive global variables. You can do this by typing the following commands to the CLUA Console (supposing that you have it activated; if not, you can find instructions for doing so at http://iesdp.gibberlings3.net/clua/bg2.htm)

CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("M#AmberMatch","GLOBAL")
CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("M#AmberRomanceActive","GLOBAL")

Hmmm... I can't really figure out what's wrong offhand. I think I will need to wait for Meira to come home (in 8 hours or so) before we can find out what's happening here.

Meanwhile, could you please check the value of the M#AmberMatch and M#AmberRomanceActive global variables. You can do this by typing the following commands to the CLUA Console (supposing that you have it activated; if not, you can find instructions for doing so at http://iesdp.gibberlings3.net/clua/bg2.htm)

CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("M#AmberMatch","GLOBAL")
CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("M#AmberRomanceActive","GLOBAL")

Both are set to 3.

Hmmm... That would in fact explain your problem, since M#AmberRomanceActive=3 means that the romance is dead. Since the romance was with Player2, she will have nothing to say to him, while Player1 can still talk to her "in an official capacity" as the party leader, but only to ask her opinion at certain points in the game.

Now we'll just have to figure out why that has happened. I take it that you have not said anything offensive to her or given her any other reason not to like you?

Hmmm... That would in fact explain your problem, since M#AmberRomanceActive=3 means that the romance is dead. Since the romance was with Player2, she will have nothing to say to him, while Player1 can still talk to her "in an official capacity" as the party leader, but only to ask her opinion at certain points in the game.

Now we'll just have to figure out why that has happened. I take it that you have not said anything offensive to her or given her any other reason not to like you?

No. The romance was going along fine until I got her back from her kidnapping; and she still initiated a conversation with Player 2 after she got back from the kidnapping - regardless of me receiving 'Amber- has nothing to say to you' if I attempted to initiate one myself.

EDIT: Actually, could it be because I took Minsc into the party while doing the kidnapping quest and this bugged the romance? Him taking the slot of Player 6 and all...?

No. The romance was going along fine until I got her back from her kidnapping; and she still initiated a conversation with Player 2 after she got back from the kidnapping - regardless of me receiving 'Amber- has nothing to say to you' if I attempted to initiate one myself.

EDIT: Actually, could it be because I took Minsc into the party while doing the kidnapping quest and this bugged the romance? Him taking the slot of Player 6 and all...?

It shouldn't as far as I know, but I'll have to consult Meira on this. As to getting the "Amber has nothing to say to you" reply although she herself talks to you, it may occasionally happen if you try to click-talk to her right after she has finished a dialogue; the engine takes its time in changing back and forth between dialogue files (this has to do with the multiplayer friendly flirting). It most likely isn't the case here, since your M#AmberRomanceActive is 3 and all, but it is generally a good idea to wait for some five to ten seconds after a dialogue before trying to click-talk Amber. Although you shouldn't break anything even if you try. You'll just get the "nothing to say" line until the dialogue file gets changed back.

But as I said, Meira will probably know more. I just hope I haven't been completely wrong about things...

Smaug, can you send to <amber@welho.net> a copy of your latest savegame, so that I can study all Amber related variables for possible clues. Taking Minsc (or anyone) with you while Amber's gone doesn't hurt the romance.

Smaug, can you send to <amber@mbnet.fi> a copy of your latest savegame, so that I can study all Amber related variables for possible clues. Taking Minsc (or anyone) with you while Amber's gone doesn't hurt the romance.

Done. Turned it into a .zip, hope that won't cause a problem.

Found the cause, I've forgotten to check that the kidnap quest (or Bodhi abduction) is not going on when ending the romance based on how long Amber has been out of the party. It was not my intention to create a quest with time restrictions. Sorry about that. :p

Setting M#AmberRomanceActive back to 1 will put you back to the right track.

Found the cause, I've forgotten to check that the kidnap quest (or Bodhi abduction) is not going on when ending the romance based on how long Amber has been out of the party. It was not my intention to create a quest with time restrictions. Sorry about that. :p

Setting M#AmberRomanceActive back to 1 will put you back to the right track.

Alright, thanks :p

Just gonna bump this thread so I don't keep making new ones.

This is also heavy on spoilers btw.

Before, I had the lovetalk that triggers when one is in an inn. I'm sure you know the one I'm talking about :blush:. Anyways, a while later, as well as resting once more (at a later time, also in an inn), I get the talk about 'how it was' - however, it refers to 'last night', etc as if you're still lying in bed.

Am I wrong, or is this lovetalk meant to happen when you finish resting after sleeping with her?

I've installed parts of the quest pack from Pocketplane since my last report, and am still on the same romance.

Yes, the morning after talk is supposed to happen, as the term 'morning after' suggests, right after you had the resting in an inn talk and the party has rested. It's a know 'feature' that it always doesn't trigger after the first rest, but rather after the next one. I've had the same thing happen with other romances too. Moving the script block that triggers that talk on top of the script might help, but I don't think it will ever work with 100% accuracy. Sorry. :blush:

Archived