My First Mod!

WizWom

Jonathan, an NPC for Baldur's Gate Tutu!

Well, he's about as fleshed out as the bare NPCs from BG1. He does have a custom soundset, which can be used by a player if you put it in the right directory.

Jonathan NPC homepage

If someone would set up hosting for this, I'd much appreciate it. 10 MB of web space is trivial. Sprang for a couple years at GoDaddy.com.

Idea and suggestions for banters or quests appreciated.

It appears that it does.

I would advise caution on the part of users. This mod uses an "illegal" character in its filenames which can cause conflicts. While the exact consequences of this are unclear, there may be unforseen incompatibilities as a result: Virtue, for example, would fail to install correctly over it (although, yes, this is a Tutu mod).

I encourage the author not to take the risk of using dubious characters in filenames. Congratulations on the mod, however.

WizWom: you need hosting? Would you need direct FTP access to it, or is it enough if the up-to-date version is always available on Dragonshoard?

Congratulations on the mod--I'd strongly advise you change your prefix, though. It's less work to do it now while you've not got many files to rename. :p

As Lemernis said, more info would be nice!

No, this mod will not interfere with installing virtue, or anything else.

I tested that it did not interfere with other mod's installation using the W^ prefix.

Yes, there was an issue with '^' being a reserved character; as it turned out, it was a Windows XP issue. No, it would not cause any trouble with the name being in a list arch.glob (the filename parser) returns.

Even so, I may change the prefix, even that bit of hassle might cause problems in some crazy future. I did not expect arch.glob to stip everything down and do crazy things with '\' and '/'. (yes, all the blame for any trouble with this is solely Weimar's fault; he's the one who made the hack that makes it impossible to actually send a string to the OS glob).

As for more information: Jonathan is a Fighter/Mage/Thief, Half elven, with better stats than any other NPC, but not over-tweaked:

Str: 18/69

Dex: 15

Con: 15

Int: 18

Wis: 9

Cha: 13

His starting level is very smoothly progressing, he'l parallel the PC all the way to 180K. At higher levels, he carries magical items. He has a custom item, a set of enchanted bracers. While not unremovable, like Edwin's amulet or Nalia's ring, they are unlikely to be usable by most. Even if they were, it would not be a huge unbalancing thing.

Even so, I may change the prefix, even that bit of hassle might cause problems in some crazy future. I did not expect arch.glob to stip everything down and do crazy things with '\' and '/'. (yes, all the blame for any trouble with this is solely Weimar's fault; he's the one who made the hack that makes it impossible to actually send a string to the OS glob).

Incidentally, why are you even using COPY GLOB (something the docs advise against doing) in the first place? Full directory copy is more reliable/supported and works just as well. It is also more future proof--or do you really intend for all of your new items to get the "Jonathan's Bracers" description?

Incidentally, why are you even using COPY GLOB (something the docs advise against doing) in the first place? Full directory copy is more reliable/supported and works just as well. It is also more future proof--or do you really intend for all of your new items to get the "Jonathan's Bracers" description?

Er, um, I used it for the WxJon*.CRE files and then just kept using it, erroneously, for the unique ITM. Thanks for catching that.

A sample banter from the mod I'm working on:

CHAIN

IF ~InParty("Jaheira")

InParty("Khalid")

XPLT("Jaheira",5000)

Global("JahKhalLowBanter","LOCALS",0)~ THEN ~WxJonB~ JaheiraStep1

~You and Khalid been adventuring a while, yes?~ DO ~SetGlobal("JahKhalLowBanter","LOCALS",1)~

== ~_BJahei~ ~Many years. we've travelled from Tethyr to Neverwinter, and more.~

== ~_BKhali~ ~I es-espec-really liked Waterdeep.~

== ~WxJonB~ ~If that's the case, why, then are you so unskilled?~

== ~_BJahei~ ~What, can I not cast cures and cause the grass and bushes to grab our enemies?~

== ~WxJonB~ ~Yes, but these are elementary, from what I have seen. Sylvanus grants these to the Neophyte.~

== ~_BKhali~ ~M-Maybe you ought to stop... I recognize the l-look in her e-eye.~

== ~WxJonB~ ~I guess some just get more from travels than others.~

== ~_BJahei~ ~Undoubtably.~

EXIT

Something I would like to see:

A link that opens to a webpage with some info. Currently, if you click on the link, you get a download window.

Not everyone who has an interest in this npc is going to want to download the mod immediately, for any number of reasons. I, personally, never download any mod until I'm ready to install. And I won't be installing any mods until BG1 NPC is completely proofread and I've got a few other commitments completed. But that doesn't mean I don't have any interest. I would very much like to know more about Jon.

For another thing, I have a sort of knee-jerk negative response when asked to download a mod before viewing the readme. That would be another good thing to have available on that web page.

Please understand that I am not criticizing in any negative way, nor am I making any comments you should take personally. I'd just like some more information.

I'd also like to see a portrait. I tend to be rather visual. A portrait would help me imagine Jon as an in-game entity instead of 'just another NPC.'

Thanks for considering these opinions.

Archived