Item help

berelinde

I'm just learning to mod. I know better than to ask someone to teach me to code. I'll learn that, or go crazy trying.

But there is something I would like to implement, and I think an item would probably be the easiest way to acheive that.

I would like to make an NPC an arachnaphobe. He'd suffer a 6 penalty to THACO against spiders. I'd prefer an inate ability (disability?), but an item is probably easier. Maybe an amulet? This would have to be undroppable/unpick-pocketable. If someone wants to remove the amulet via SK, so be it, but I'd like to package the NPC with it.

Ostensibly, the amulet would appear non-magical, and unremarkable. He would describe it as something with important personal significance, but little value and less power. Maybe it would be camoflaged as a good luck charm or a religious token of some kind. But the important bit would be that he gets the THACO penalty.

I'll plug away at it if no one has the time or inclination, but I'd appreciate the help.

As far as it goes, CREeatures can have permanent effects assigned to them fairly easily.

So, you want effect 178, THAC0 vs. type bonus - IDS Target 4-RACE/116-SPIDER - Inst/Perm - Parameter -6

You could set this up in NearInfinity, or using DLTCEP.

Once the creature file has it, that creature will always have that effect.

Lots of people comment on the difficulty of using DLTCEP but personally for Item and Creature editing it is far more user friendly than other tools available.

Just take a look at an item that you know offers a similar effect and see how it works.

At this point, its *all* way over my head. But I'm going to do a bit of reading and see what works with my freakish thought process.

Problem is I can't think of any items that apply a penalty (or at least not immediately). I would not want the item to display a cursed portrait icon, for exampe.

I guess it will get my feet wet.

Problem is I can't think of any items that apply a penalty (or at least not immediately). I would not want the item to display a cursed portrait icon, for exampe.

A penalty is just a negative bonus :-)

Look at the Effects for The Equalizer.

If someone wants to remove the amulet via SK, so be it, but I'd like to package the NPC with it.

Ostensibly, the amulet would appear non-magical, and unremarkable. ... Maybe it would be camoflaged as a good luck charm or a religious token of some kind. But the important bit would be that he gets the THACO penalty.

Here's a thought: how about making the "arachnophobia effect" an undocumented feature of a valuable amulet? Say something like a +1 Protection amulet but with the added negative effect, which is implemented but not mentioned in the description. That way, the cheaters would be less likely to SK it away. Unless they check it in DLTCEP - or read what I just said...

(Now everyone and his uncle will yell at me for fooling the poor players, but a modder's entitled to some secret/s, eh?)

Not a bad idea, but this is for Tutu, so magic items are hardly standard starting equipment. But it is rather fiendish, in a fun kind of way.

But no, the owner will be a cleric, so he can wear any armor in the game. Giving him something nice besides would push him over the top.

Why must I always be on the uphill side of the learning curve?

I'm using DLTCEP and thought I had figured out how to use it, in very very vague terms.

But all I really managed to do was corrupt my dialog.tlk file.

Sugar.

Back to the drawing board, but first I have to fix my installation. I should have made a backup. Next time, I will make a backup.

Archived