Problem with Paperdolls in BGTutu (Mac)

Guest Wanderer

Guest Wanderer

I've had trouble with certain paperdoll sets: Moinesse Avatars' Female Thief paperdoll causes a CtD during character setup. Meanwhile, One Pixel Prod.'s whole paperdoll set caused the same problem. Also, Moinesse's Male Barbarian crashed when putting on armor in game.

Specs: Mac 10.4.7, BG1Tutu, Weidu 196, Tutufix 1.5, Battle Music Fix, NPC Portrait Pack, NPC Music

I tried out 1PP and Moinesse separately, and I know the authors don't currently reside here, so this is a general question  does anyone know about compatibility issues with Tutu or anything else?

Well, I dunno about the "theif Avatars" mod, but 1PP uses an override corrupt PLT file, which is supposed to fall-back to using the BAM paperdolls made for BG1 and left in the files for BG2. Be lucky you got a clean crash, for me (and some other people), 1PP set up some dangerous file corruption issues, which forced me to re-install completely.

Until I made my BMP<->PLT converter program, though, there was no way to easily make a PLT file, so you had to do what you could.

I guess I need to do a BG1 avatar PLT set. hrm, I could probably make a program to go directly from an avatar BAM to PLT, come to think of it.

But for now, I'll do the BG1 Theif avatars, OK? Should keep me busy for a few hours.

Edit: Er, seems to be a color balance issue on a straight copy over. Exploring it. It seems (1) that Bioware used different color mapping for different BAMs and (2) the BAM palletes are not indicitave of the final intensity. these troubles might be fied easily by taking a "standard" palette and applying it to all the BAMedit output bmps. Better, it seems all the BAMs used the same palette, so I was able to change my program to make the conversion smooth.

A sample: http://mysite.verizon.net/wizwom/cdmt1inv.plt

Well, I dunno about the "theif Avatars" mod, but 1PP uses an override corrupt PLT file, which is supposed to fall-back to using the BAM paperdolls made for BG1 and left in the files for BG2. Be lucky you got a clean crash, for me (and some other people), 1PP set up some dangerous file corruption issues, which forced me to re-install completely.

For me 1PP causes crashes 9 times out of 10 when a paperdoll is supposed to display, so I've pretty much given up on it. These conversion tools of yours look interesting... Do the BG1 equivalent .bams use the same filename as the BG2 .plt? IE 'cdmt1inv.bam' to 'cdmt1inv.plt'?

Yes. I completely removed most paperdolls (except new ones like Monk) from the game (BG2) so it uses the 1PP BAM files instead. It will also use BAM files if you delete the corresponding VVC. ("Corresponding" means the resource names, which don't include extensions, are the same.)

Shoulda noticed this thread earlier.

Yes. I completely removed most paperdolls (except new ones like Monk) from the game (BG2) so it uses the 1PP BAM files instead. It will also use BAM files if you delete the corresponding VVC. ("Corresponding" means the resource names, which don't include extensions, are the same.)

Translated, how can 1PP be modified so it does this instead (and works on Mac)?

I installed 1PP paperdoll mod some time ago so the details are fuzzy, but as I recall it enables the already existing BG1 BAMs to be displayed by putting empty paperdoll files in the override folder. I went one step further and used NI's BIF editor to remove the relevant paperdolls and put them in a safe holding folder in case I needed them later. That saved me from having to have dummy files in the override folder. BG2 happily displayed the BAMs since there were no longer valid paperdoll files.

Perhaps the Mac version of the game doesn't like empty paperdoll files. The unmodified 1PP mod worked fine on my Windows system.

Thanks for the info Smoketest.

Hmmm... If one were to extract the BG1 paperdoll .bams using NI, and then convert them to .plts using WizWoms converter, and then replace the empty 1PP .plts with these converted ones... would it work? I think I'll give it a shot.

I've no experience with that converter, and I'm satisfied with how the BAMs look so I don't need PLT versions. What I wouldn't mind having is a BAM version of the Monk, which unfortunately only exists in PLT format due to his being added in BG2. (The existing BAMs were carried over from BG1, which had no Monk class.)

Edit: assuming valid PLTs are created by the converter, that method should work just fine.

OK, I've now got a version of 1PP that won't cause crashes on a Mac - turns out that conversion was unnecessary. Having extracted all the relevant BAMs with NI, I simply changed their extensions to PLT, installed them and somewhat bizarrely - it worked. That is, there is one exception: Some paperdolls (humans) have clipping issues with shields and for others (gnomes) shields are invisible. Any ideas about how to fix this or if it's even fixable?

Shields do clip a bit with 1PP, probably as a consequence of not having been rebuilt for the (rather different!) paperdolls. The gnomish oddity is a new one on me though ;)

OK, if it happens with the normal 1PP as well then there probably isn't much I can do about it. If it's a new problem, "the gnomish oddity" (sounds like an invention! :mad: ) is most likely my own fault, I guess I'll go over the files again and see if I messed up somewhere.

Is there any way to fix these issues without using NI? I ask because the last time I explored that program on my Mac, something I did unintentionally caused a file (was it dialog.tlk?) to be overwritten, and the result was a nasty crash of the game the next time I tried launching it. I've since deleted NI, and stuck with MacBGEditorX, which modifies only the protagonist in a .GAM file (and therefore is severely limited, compared to NI's capabilities).

I'll do the work manually if needed, and if possible. If NI is necessary for this fixing of the 1PP issue, I'll gladly follow careful instructions from whoever is willing to provide them :(

My install doesn't include TuTu or BGT or anything like that, just a bunch of joinable NPCs and some rules and graphics mods.

Thanks,

Eric

Archived