Dynaheir's Journal - Where's that Drow?

Guest TTL

benz, I had to forward your save to Gorilym (just the save in a new message, not your private email address) as I am on a Windows install, so I couldn't load the save. I will beg him to take a look.

As for the "quirk" status, we have had some other posts and one playtester has experienced this too... in most cases clearing all of the spawn points on the map has worked, but that should have nothing to do with it. You are not alone; this works on my install every single time, but there must be something in the code that does not work with every version/combination of Tutu.

We will track it down!

If you get tired of waiting, you can skip the Gnolls and just set the end variable, respawning Drizzt. Everything can proceed from there :) Not the best situation, but better than nothing.

benz, I had to forward your save to Gorilym (just the save in a new message, not your private email address) as I am on a Windows install, so I couldn't load the save. I will beg him to take a look.

Received, with luck I'll have time to test it today. I'll post my findings here. :)

I've now tested benz' save.

Sure enough, no gnolls were to be found. However none of the spawn points were "reloading" either which made me suspicious (the EasyTutu spawns should be kicking in). When I loaded up the save in NI the source of the problem practically jumped out at me: the fw4200.are in the save didn't have an assigned area script. :) I set the script reference to the proper _ar4200.bcs, saved and re-compressed. I fired up the game again, and pretty much immediately the good gnolls showed up. ;) After that encounter I rested three times and Drizzt showed up on cue, everything wrapping up nicely. :)

The root of the problem, fw4200.are not having an assigned area script, is quite strange - the issue is definitely not present on my EasyTutu installation. If benz is using conventional Tutu I think it might be an inherited gremlin from that process.

OK, the missing area script reference is no mystery as it turns out. Unless using EasyTutu many areas don't have scripts, this is detailed by Macready in the changelog (Should have checked that sooner... :) ). Something needs to be done here if this quest (and maybe others as well) is to work properly with conventional Tutu installations.

Gorilym, I owe you a beer, vodka, bottle of scotch, whatever - you just saved me from a HUGE set of incredibly frustrating experiences that have been plagueing me for months!

I am going to PM CamDawg and ask him for a walkthrough of how to grab the appropriate tutufix/fixpack etc. code from the sources and add *all* area scripts if they don't exist in as part of BG1 NPC in a library. That way, we should no longer have these strange untrackable problems.

You seriously saved me -- Thank you!!!!!

I will get this worked up and put out a repair as soon as I can, probably before Friday night.

Gorilym, I owe you a beer, vodka, bottle of scotch, whatever - you just saved me from a HUGE set of incredibly frustrating experiences that have been plagueing me for months!

I am going to PM CamDawg and ask him for a walkthrough of how to grab the appropriate tutufix/fixpack etc. code from the sources and add *all* area scripts if they don't exist in as part of BG1 NPC in a library. That way, we should no longer have these strange untrackable problems.

You seriously saved me -- Thank you!!!!!

I will get this worked up and put out a repair as soon as I can, probably before Friday night.

Glad to help. :) A bottle of Scotch would be nice, but as we're on different continents holding you to your offer would be too impractical. :) Adding area script references for non-EasyTutu installations is a good solution - you can probably use the same "EasyTutu detection" scheme as Tutufix does, if you haven't done so already. You know, I wouldn't be surprised if there are other issues like this that stem from differences between EasyTutu / Tutu v4. I'll examine Macready's changelog more thoroughly over the weekend and see if anything obvious has been missed.

Adding area script references for non-EasyTutu installations is a good solution - you can probably use the same "EasyTutu detection" scheme as Tutufix does, if you haven't done so already. You know, I wouldn't be surprised if there are other issues like this that stem from differences between EasyTutu / Tutu v4. I'll examine Macready's changelog more thoroughly over the weekend and see if anything obvious has been missed.
I ran into this issue while working on another mod. A custom .cre/.sto wouldn't spawn in an area until I went into NI and assigned the script to the area manually. Just wondering how this fix was progressing and where it'll end up eventually. I suppose there's no harm in including the script assignments for the relevant areas in the mod I'm working on - just don't want to duplicate efforts. ;)
Ideally, assigning area scripts for conventional Tutu would be the domain of Tutufix, but as it doesn't look like that will be updated any time soon, BG1NPC seems as good a place as any for it.
Tutufix would seem make more sense for the script fixes. If they're going in BG1 NPC, it should be moved up in our install order, prior to Store Mods and Quest Mods. Or would it not matter? I seem to recall it's where it is in the order for a reason but I can't recall what the reason is... ;)

Edit: I'm talking about EasyTutu, btw. I had to assign _AR3307.BCS to FW3307.ARE (Burning Wizard 1st floor).

Again, Tutufix would be the ideal place for it, but I'm just not very optimistic about it being updated. The current EasyTutu goes way beyond Tutufix v17 in terms of the core fixes, so I get the impression that the keeping-Tutu-bugfree torch has been passed to Macready.

Edit: I'm talking about EasyTutu, btw. I had to assign _AR3307.BCS to FW3307.ARE (Burning Wizard 1st floor).

IIRC EasyTutu only adds scripts for the outdoor / random encounter areas that lacked them - so there are probably oodles of indoor locations like _fw3307 that are still sans script. Which certainly isn't to say that every single .are actually needs a script - any modder who makes use of a previously "empty" location needs to make sure that their new script gets assigned. The "phantom gnolls" in the present case basically occured due to an incongruence between versions of Tutu - if EasyTutu didn't already add these assignments, the issue would have become apparent in the earliest stages of testing.

BG1NPC is listed after Quest mods due to the Sirine's Call compatibility issues, if memory serves. Order shouldn't matter as far as script assignments are concerned though. If it was coded as a standalone component it could most likely be installed last of all, with no ill effects.

Archived