NPC Fights

WizWom

well, I was thinking of going bronze, silver, gold, platinum, wood, china, lobster, isotope 234, but "a" works well too!

To be clear, here is what I am adding to the tp2:

ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~FW0100.are~ THEN BEGIN
/* WizWom's Tutu NPC Battle fix */
COPY_EXISTING........~_EDWIN.BCS~ ~override~
.....................~_ELDOTH.BCS~ ~override~
.....................~_HARTEEL.BCS~ ~override~
.....................~_JAHEIRA.BCS~ ~override~
.....................~_KAGAIN.BCS~ ~override~
.....................~_KHALID.BCS~ ~override~
.....................~_KIVAN.BCS~ ~override~
.....................~_MINSC.BCS~ ~override~
.....................~_ONTARON.BCS~ ~override~
.................... ~_QUAYLE.BCS~ ~override~
.....................~_TIAX.BCS~ ~override~
......................~_VICONIA.BCS~ ~override~
......................~_YNAHEIR.BCS~ ~override~
 DECOMPILE_BCS_TO_BAF
REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~MakeUnselectable(5000)~ ~MakeUnselectable(6) Continue()~
COMPILE_BAF_TO_BCS
 BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES
END

To be clear, here is what I am adding to the tp2:

Aw, Heck, my first code in a widely use mod. It's like being a proud papa all over again. Or, really, not.

heh.

Anyway, I can understand not putting in the Ajantis Fight bit. although, it means Ajantis can just hack up whoever he decides to if your momentarily AFK.

LOL It would be funny to leave the party standing for a lovetalk between your character and Ajantis, and come back to find he's hacked up all the evil characters in the party. Except, it's a modal dialog, so it would be sitting on Ajantis's line about Evil.

Hey, WizWom, gotta puzzler for you. Your Fight Fix is In ( ;) I'll send the bill later, just make it cash and sent through certain South Side folks, or anyone connected with a Guv'nor of Illinois, and we are fine :) )

but ran into some troubles on the BGT side.

COPY_EXISTING ~_EDWIN.BCS~ ~override~
		  ~_ELDOTH.BCS~ ~override~
		  ~_HARTEEL.BCS~ ~override~
		  ~_JAHEIRA.BCS~ ~override~
		  ~_KAGAIN.BCS~ ~override~
		  ~_KHALID.BCS~ ~override~
		  ~_KIVAN.BCS~ ~override~
		  ~_MINSC.BCS~ ~override~
		  ~_ONTARON.BCS~ ~override~
		  ~_QUAYLE.BCS~ ~override~
		  ~_TIAX.BCS~ ~override~
		  ~_VICONIA.BCS~ ~override~
		  ~_YNAHEIR.BCS~ ~override~
 DECOMPILE_BCS_TO_BAF
REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~MakeUnselectable(5000)~ ~MakeUnselectable(6) Continue()~
COMPILE_BAF_TO_BCS
 BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES
END ELSE BEGIN
COPY_EXISTING ~BGEDWIN.BCS~ ~override~
		  ~ELDOTH.BCS~ ~override~
		  ~SHARTEEL.BCS~ ~override~
		  ~BGJHEIRA.BCS~ ~override~
		  ~KAGAIN.BCS~ ~override~
		  ~KHALID.BCS~ ~override~
		  ~KIVAN.BCS~ ~override~
		  ~BGMINSC.BCS~ ~override~
		  ~MONTARON.BCS~ ~override~
		  ~QUAYLE.BCS~ ~override~
		  ~TIAX.BCS~ ~override~
		  ~BGVICNIA.BCS~ ~override~
		  ~DYNAHEIR.BCS~ ~override~
 DECOMPILE_BCS_TO_BAF
REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~MakeUnselectable(5000)~ ~MakeUnselectable(6)~
COMPILE_BAF_TO_BCS
 BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES
END

works fine, but notice the missing Continue() on the BGT side? On the Tutu side, I opened all the BCS and checked, and everyone has the correct blocks patched. When Sir BillyBob installed it with Continue() on the BGT side, BGEDWIN went nuts. The file corrupted every time he tried it. By removing the Continue(), he was able to ... well ... continue :D , but I would bet that would completely hose the fix, wouldn't it?

Um, BGT ssems to do some natstiness with fights also...

From BGEDWIN.BCS in my BGT install (which might be old):

IF
Global("Edwinfight","GLOBAL",1)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
	DialogInterrupt(FALSE)
	ActionOverride(Player1,MakeUnselectable(5000))
	ActionOverride(Player2,MakeUnselectable(5000))
	ActionOverride(Player3,MakeUnselectable(5000))
	ActionOverride(Player4,MakeUnselectable(5000))
	ActionOverride(Player5,MakeUnselectable(5000))
	ActionOverride(Player6,MakeUnselectable(5000))
	SetGlobal("Edwinfight","GLOBAL",2)
END

So, of course putting in the Continue() after all those would royally mess things up.

I am afraid BGT will need custom patching for every NPC, since they messed things up. MakeUnselectable() from another script is just going to stop them from doing anything, those all have to go, to be replaced by the correct battle blocks from BGTutu.

This is a patch BGT made which is obviously untested, as if they had tested it, it would be sure not to behave properly. Well, actually, let me test this properly.

Heh, BGJheira.BCS is hacked to be a BG2 style battle, with the characters leaving the party. Since the Xzar/Jaheira fight is probably the easiest to get, I think I can take this as proof that the code in BGEDWIN is definately bad. But I'm going to check it anyway.

Hrm; Dynaheir, Minsc and Edwin left the party, the party could do nothing, and so they die without hope of being raised. Not, I am sure, what we would like. Looks like a lot of fixing to do. Oh, joy.

Well, it is up to us (rather, up to your willingness, because you have a much better grasp on how these scripts work functionally [or not] than I do...) to decide. With several of the other things that the BGT side does, Sir BillyBob make the (good) decision to simply say "incompatable" and move on. After all, the BGT folks have their own set of bugfixes, some of which are designed around the needs of the other Mega-Mods. I have already made the same decision as Sir BillyBob on the NeJ, CtB, etc... BG1 NPC can help as far as getting a working install on a clean straight version of BGT, and then if anyone has additional mods on top they are welcome to suggets patches and we can add them if they don't mess stuff up. Loking at the hoops Ascension64 had to jump through for the other Mega-Mods, I am in awe and respect of the amount of effort that went into it, but we simply do not have the resurces to match that kind of heavy-duty PATCH_IF sequencing (with 4 separate A_I branches on some scripts and dialogues).

In short, we could try to fix it, or simply say that WizWom's Fight Fix for Tutu is a Tutu-only deal :)

As far as it goes, BGT patches the NPC fights somewhat to the way a BG2 game handles NPC fights, having them leave the party. Except for the MakeUnselectable() in some of them, which means you can't smite Edwin the second Dynaheir calls him out. Which, to my mind sucks, but others might want that. If it was me, I'd patch all the BG2 fights to be done while in the party, in case the NPC you like dies.

Guest Marty (a user and fan)

Hey, I posted a more verbose reply at PPG, and was wondering what the status is for the EasyTutu version. I couldn't find a mention of it in the NPC Project readme and I'd be glad to give it a test against my fair amount of mods. I have a save where I can "^I" (as you guys say) the broken fighting out of the party members without too many tries.

I have an internal version ready to test (the BGT side we are not fixing right now, as I need to learn some scripting stuff and work with WizWom and others to figure it out -- it is handled differently in BGT);

anyone who is interested it giving it a test run is welcome. Just register and PM me, and I can send you the direct link to the latest internal!

Archived