How do you play Baldur's Gate?

berelinde

1 How many NPCs do you usually include (for solo, 0)?

5 usually. When I play for fun though I play a solo, which is 0. Occasionally playing for romance it would be about 2-3 NPCs, typically all the NPCs I can push onto a multiple romance run.

2 Do you prefer a themed party (all good, all evil, all mages, all wizard slayers, etc.) or do you prefer a balanced party in terms of class and alignment?

I prefer a balanced party usually, and with a consistent theme in it, except sometimes for interactions.

3 Does NPC personality influence your party composition?

Yes.

4 Does an NPC quest influence you party composition?

Only for the duration of the Quest.

5 Does NPC power influence your party composition?

Yes.

6 Regarding your PC (player 1), do you single-class, dual-, or multi-?

usually Multi, or at least Dual.

7 How powerful do you want your PC to be in terms of the challenges posed by the game?

Just nice, for a decent challenge. I usually get bored halfway through chapter 2 or 3 due to the party outstripping the difficulty of quests (which is about even)

8 How powerful do you want your PC to be compared to the NPCs?

Powerful

9 How do you utilize multi-classed characters?

I actually maximise both sides of their abils, sometimes cheesily to minimise the drawbacks on one side. For eg, I typically for fighter/mages I use them to fight but open with spells, whereas Fighter/Thieves are typically used for intensive combat.

10 How do you use 'specialty-class' characters (bards, monks, specialty kits)?

I generally don't use them.

I keep a full party whenever possible, and always include a mage, a cleric, and a thief of some sort.

2 Do you prefer a themed party (all good, all evil, all mages, all wizard slayers, etc.) or do you prefer a balanced party in terms of class and alignment?

Balanced party for class, no evil alignments except for Viconia.

Moreso with mod NPCs. I care more about what the character contributes to group success than about personality, although I do enjoy the interaction between party members. I'm very impressed when some mod NPCs will talk with other NPCs, such as the exchanges between Solaufien and Imoen :thumbsup:

Somewhat. I like using the involved NPC in such a quest, but there are times when I can get through one without that character in the party.

No. I'm more concerned about what gear the NPC can use.

Both. I really wish there were specialty priests available to the protagonist, especially the Needle (priest of Mielikki). That would better represent my favorite protagonist, created in the image of one of my D&D characters. I never liked the concept of dual class in AD&D, and wish that humans in the game could multiclass, as they can in 3rd edition rules.

7 How powerful do you want your PC to be in terms of the challenges posed by the game?

Powerful enough to go through the game

About the same, if not somewhat above.

I find it useful to include Fighter in a multiclass combination. That way, if the character runs out of special abilities, he/she can always melee.

I'm just beginning to explore them, in particular a kensai/mage and a bard. My understanding is that a monk doesn't make a very good protagonist.

"And that's all I have to say about that" :)

Happing gaming,

Eric

I've always found it fascinating that the Baldur's Gate series can be played so many different ways. Everyone has their own playing style.

Understanding the different playing styles might be enjoyable, but it might also help me improve my game. It might help me get out of a rut, but it might also be helpful in getting more out of NPCs.

In each of the following questions, please go into as much detail as you need to explain the preference. "I solo because I like to develop a single character" is more helpful than "I solo."

I try to role-play each situation. For example, Korgan says he's not into the forests, so I don't bring him to Trademeet. Before I got on the boat to Spellhold, I thought about whether each NPC would really be willing to accompany the PC. Jaheira, Viconia, Valygar would. Edwin, Korgan, Keldorn wouldn't.

I like to have one of each of the major classes (fighter, mage, cleric, thief).

Absolutely.

Nope.

Not much in vanilla. After installing tactics and ascension, I'm paying more attention to power. Because a party of Haer'Dalis, Cernd, Aerie is going to need a LOT of reloads.

I dualed, but no preference really.

I'd like the be the underdog in most spots.

Depends on the NPC. It makes sense if Keldorn or Edwin is more powerful than the PC, but the PC should be stronger than Aerie.

Hmm, not sure how to answer this. Just like any other character I guess.

According to the kit description.

All NPC slots are filled out. The more the merrier.

Variations. I will always have a magic user, healer and a thief in the group.

If I don't like them, they aren't going to be in my party. Haer' Dalis, Jan, Cernd and Edwin I don't like their personalities. Haer hits on my girl Aerie, Jan is annoying, Cernd is lame and Edwin is arrogant.

No

No lame ducks for me. I do keep track of kill counts.

Multi-class most of the time.

I'm a god, figure it out. :thumbsup:

See 8.

Like any other I guess. Get the best equipment, best spells, whatever.

See 9.

I've always found it fascinating that the Baldur's Gate series can be played so many different ways. Everyone has their own playing style.

Understanding the different playing styles might be enjoyable, but it might also help me improve my game. It might help me get out of a rut, but it might also be helpful in getting more out of NPCs.

In each of the following questions, please go into as much detail as you need to explain the preference. "I solo because I like to develop a single character" is more helpful than "I solo."

How do I play? Not as often as I'd like (between three forums--including one I co-admin at--a number of games competing for my attentioin, and two computers for five people in the house, my BG series time's pretty low). Still, I'm kinda bored, so let's give this a go.

Haven't played with less than a full party yet, although I may try a party with just 3 NPCs at some point in the next year.

My parties tend to be balanced in classes, but I seldom make non-good NPCs not named Yoshimo long-term party members. If the Happy Patch left scripted conflicts (e.g. Minsc-Edwin) alone I'd be more inclined to use that and take more neutral characters, maybe even Kagain in BG1 or Korgan in BG2. :thumbsup:

Sometimes; how depends on thje particular PC I'm running. :)

Sorta. Hard to explain how, really (to steal a line from BG1 Shank, "Exposition really isn't my forte.")

Not really.

I'd say the majority are single-class, but I am open to multi- and dual-classes. My next playthrough will likely be with a multi-class PC.

Fairly powerful, but not too overpowered: I want the challenges to be, well, challenging, but doable without too many reloads (how many depends on the challenge).

Slightly more powerful (we are talking about a child of a god here), but not so much so that s/he doesn't need the help.

Depends on the multi-class and the character's personality, although generally I try to increase the character's survivability.

Haven't run a lot of them yet, although I have finished SoA with a pure Swashbuckler. A monk is definitely on my to-do list (and conveniently, there's one I rolled up in Tutu).

I don't have time to play the game these days (just a forum lurker), but anyway, this is what I used to do...

None. I almost always play solo just for the fact that I like playing tactical mods. And I hate micro-management. Besides, I have interacted in just about every way with the (bioware) NPCs in my first few runs, so it seems repetitive and boring. I only include NPCs (one at a time) to gain experience from doing their quests.

Never liked playing Good. I don't mind playing Evil, but usually it's True/Chaotic Neutral. As for the NPCs who I let join temporarily, I am indifferent to their alignment.

No. I try not to have anything influence me as I have everything predetermined.

Not much. All that matters to me is getting the experience from doing their quests, so if I had to choose between two NPCs, I'll take the one that gives me the most xp.

No. In fact, I try to have them as far away from the battle as possible for the duration of their temporary stay, so their power is irrelevant.

Multi always. Usually FMT/FMC. I always liked the idea of one character tackling just about every situation.

As powerful as he can. In fact, I try to top myself everytime I face the same opponent to see how much faster I can win this time compared to the previous run through. Only one condition. I play with only Bioware-made items. Modded items never appealed to me as they kill the satisfying feeling after a victory.

The PC is a demi-god and as such, I expect that character to be far, far more powerful than any random "Joe Schmoe" NPC that you meet on the streets. Otherwise, it just doesn't make any sense.

I try to utilize each class to the fullest extent.

I don't. They are not as interesting (except maybe the wild mage, who I used to throw in as a companion to my PC just for kicks).

11 (for Smoketest) Do you play with add-on NPCs, and if so, how many at a time, and why?

I used to (one at a time btw), but not anymore. I just don't have the time to try them all. The last NPC mod that I remember playing was Keto, which was very well done. I guess I'm too anxious to finish the game and get on with life to patiently read, appreciate and enjoy the dialogue interactions of these NPC mods (although I've no doubt many are well written). So it just isn't for me.

Okay my turn.

5 plus myself with makes a full party!

I’ll settle for Good and Neutral. The only evil character I like is Viconia, but I normally don’t have a ton of use for a cleric.

A bit. I don’t like the arrogant ones.

A bit. Some of them I like more than others (for example Aerie’s quest/HD’s quests are super boring).

Yes! I don’t want to have to waste too much gold raising them.

Single class fighter or ranger…all the time.

I like a challenge but I can only play a battle so many times before I say to myself “Okay, this is getting lame”

A good deal more powerful. I want the NPCs to certainly be able to help me out in battle, but after all, I am a child of Bhaal.

Heh…I tend to lean toward one of the classes more.

The same way I use the standard classes.

11 (for Smoketest) Do you play with add-on NPCs, and if so, how many at a time, and why?

Yes! But not too many! Usually I’ll pick up 1-3 mod NPCs. The rest are original Bioware ones so that I can get the banters.

I usually have a full party ASAP, and then fiddle around to add other NPCs along the road (for instance, if I dont have Yoshimo around I will usually go to Spellhold minus one slot so I can haul Imoen up)

Ideally I aim for either good or evil party depending on my character's alignment. Of course, I constantly screw up, like adding Edwin & Keldorn together, or Kagain & Coran, because some characters are too powerful or too interesting to miss. Class-wise my party is usually perfectly balanced. I will always have at least one thief, cleric/druid, mage, and fighter.

VERY much. For instance, in a run of BG, I almost always have Tiax in the party. In BG2, I almost always have Jan. They are just so funny I cant leave them out (though their abilities are rather mediocre). In contrast, I usually dump Jaheira out as soon as I can get a replacement because she gets on my nerves.

Kind of. Not THAT much. I get annoyed by Nalia's quest so I avoid her a lot...

I wish I could say that I am a pure role player and power doesnt influence me.... but the god awesome powers of Edwin, Viconia, Kagain etc are just so tempting... poor Anomen never has a chance to win his lady's love, because Viconia kicks him out of the party, and I dont have need for two clerics.

I do a lot of multi-classing, and occasionally single for interesting classes such as Bard or Archer. I dont ever do dual, just because it's a pain in the a** to level him/her up again.

Before, I rather powergamed my way through. These days, I'll be content if as long as I dont have to reload a whole lot of times.

Not that I intentionally do so, but unless my character is a mage the PC has like 40% kills in the party :thumbsup: Before, I had the bad habit of giving all the best items to the main character and give the leftovers to the NPCs. Now I even allow an NPC to eat up some of the stat-raising tomes!

I love multi-class. The PC is usually multi-class because it seems so boring to be just a normal fighter or a normal mage. (I'm particular to Fighter/Thief or Mage/Cleric combo) And I love multi-class NPCs like Aerie and Jan. Since its hard to sqeeze every class in because not everybody is a fighter/mage/theif/cleric, and since I want at least 2 or 3 capable fighters in the front line, multi-class is the way to go.

There are some 'specialty-class' that I really dig, and so I stick one or two in the party (another reason why some characters just have to be multi-class). Favorites are Bard, Paladin, and Sorcerer. For some reason, I never liked Monks and Barbarians.

11. Do you play with add-on NPCs, and if so, how many at a time, and why

I always include in my standard install of BG2 Solaufein, Valen, and Kelsey. I dont add custom NPCs in my BGTutu, because there's many more NPCs in BG anyway, and I havent seen any mods that catched my interest yet. Out of the 3 mentioned, I usually play Solaufein the most (esp if Im playing a male character... :))

I wish I could say that I am a pure role player and power doesnt influence me.... but the god awesome powers of Edwin, Viconia, Kagain etc are just so tempting... poor Anomen never has a chance to win his lady's love, because Viconia kicks him out of the party, and I dont have need for two clerics.

In Viconia vs Anomen fight, I'd bet on Anomen (with proper equipment for both, of course)

Here's my entry:

I usually go with the standard 5 NPCs + Protagonist for a full 6 person party, mainly due to the interesting interactions between the various party members. However, when I play an evil group I sometimes use 4 NPCs + Protagonist until I pick up Sarevok in ToB.

A little bit of both. A well balanced party is always a priority, but I usually tend to go for a reasonable alignment-based theme as well. Furthermore, I never use incompatible NPCs together, i.e. I never take Keldorn (or any paladin) alongside evil party members and I don't use Aerie and Korgan at the same time.

Slightly. I tend to avoid overly annoying NPCs.

Not really.

Within reason. For example, I would never take a Fighter with 6 STR and 4 CON into the party.

Usually single-class, occasionally multi-class and very rarely dual-class.

In general, he should be up to the challenge for most of the standard encounters. Having some difficulties with the more challenging battles is acceptable.

A little bit more powerful than the other NPCs due to his divine heritage. I usually reflect this by re-rolling until I get fairly high ability scores (a total of 90+).

To their fullest extent. I especially enjoy multi-classed Fighter/Mages in this regard.

Depends on the class/kit, but I generally try to make use of all of my characters' special abilities.

Only 1 mod NPC at a time. Mod NPCs tend to have more dialogue interactions with the default Bioware cast than with other mod NPCs.

5 or 0, I either go with a full party or solo.

I usually play for the challenge, so that doesn't leave much room for themed parties.

Only in the first few games when there's still something new to see.

Usually no.

Definitely. No way I'd have a Beastmaster tagging along, if there was one. Sometimes I try different or peculiar party setups, though.

Single or multi. I'm particularly fond of playing spellcasters.

I don't have a scale, really. As I said, I play for the challenge, so the harder the game, the better, as a general rule.

About as powerful as them, depending on how I develop him. I'm not a big fan of marysuey über-pumped PCs.

Depends on the class. I have a slight preference for multiclassed characters compared to single classed ones, as they're much more efficient, especially Fighters.

I never use bards. The others, I just try to make the best from their abilities. Overall, I think they're a great way to increase the game's replay value.

Very rarely, usually because of technical issues. Kelsey and Keto are very professionally made and Solaufein and Valen have some great dialogue, but most NPC mods are just poorly written and bugged. The last thing I need is to manually replace the .bcs file each time the character starts stuttering or makes my game crash.

Archived