Post ToB

theacefes

I don't know if anyone has ever brought this up before but is it possible to add a cutscene/dialogue/banters *after* the end of the final battle in ToB? I'm just asking because I notice that there really is no official goodbyes between the party or anything of the sort before it goes straight to the end movies and the epilogues. Would it be a good idea for a post ToB area to be made that can be installed and you would be transferred to it after the final battle is over? If so, something like that could be installed as a mod and many NPCs and NPC mods could say their final goodbyes/declarations of love/whatever in it before they all part ways or do what they had planned out to do.

Yes? No? Stupid?

I think this would be a great idea; I'd love to see a 'goodbye' scene implemented... maybe around the party's final campfire. Everyone has to part ways. A nostalgic scene, relating tales of their past together... If you'd like to do it I'd be happy to contribute some dialogue for the characters I can write for... :)

I was thinking it was a good chance for many NPC mod authors to contribute as well (if they have time). But if it's possible, then it would require several writers who could write the Bioware NPCs and take into consideration what the epilogues say if there was/was not a romance, etc.

So, basically, here is what would happen:

You win the final battle. You choose whether you become a god or stay on Toril as a mortal. You watch the movie where Mellisan dies. Then you get transitioned to an area (could be an old area or Candlekeep or Athkatla or something) and from there the mod will check to see what romances are active and at what position the globals are at for each. Depending on which modders participate, it will check for variables in their mods accordingly. Then bantering will begin and everyone will get the chance to say goodbye to Charname, at least, the ones who havent romanced him/her and arent living with him/her for the rest of their life.

Then the game will play the end movie depending on if the PC became a god or not. Then epilogues. We don't want to change the epilogues but rather base the banters on them.

I think it sounds like a great idea, however, I was always under the impression that, if you became a god, it had to be there, at Bhaal's throne of blood (there was the one opportunity and you could take it or walk away). So you would also have to explain how they got where they're going - you could just add in a line to Solar's dialog "right, I'll send you to place x so you can say goodbye before ascending, but make it quick" or, if you're not becoming a god "the throne's going to collapse so I better send you someplace safe", however, it would be good if the places were different since, if you're not ascending you could still travel some distance and say goodbye in Candlekeep, whereas if you are then you would have to say goodbye wherever the solar sent you (amkathran perhaps).

Anyway, just a thought.

I think it's a great idea. If the solar's dialogue needs to be modified, so be it.

Might be kind of intertesting to say goodbyes back at Candlekeep. Perhaps inside the cozy Candlekeep Inn, or the sunny courtyard to the great library. Maybe even just outside the western wall of the citadel, from the cliff overlooking the Sea of Swords.

As I said, if it's possible to maybe implement some areas from BG1, that would be nicer.

I like this idea, specifically the Library courtyard part as Lemernis suggested. It would kind of be like the adventure took you full circle. However I just can't imagine that specifically Keldorn, but a few others as well, would be too happy about being "moved" to Candlekeep for good-byes if they have to "walk" home. Now if the Solar then DD's them all to their respective homes then I think it'd be better.

[Ex: The Solar DD's the party to where-ever, each party member would do their good-bye scene/dialogue; the Solar would DD them out when each gets done, until just <CHARNAME> and their romance interest were left for a tender moment before the PC's choice is put into effect.]

It'd be more effort but perhaps later releases could include things like party members, RA variable, PC choice to ascend or remain mortal, PC class and what if any stronghold they obtained in SoA, etc. playing a part in determining where they end up doing the good-byes.

The only problem with something like this is that it is adding on a whole new part (even a small one) to the game. Which means that many mod characters wont say anything or won't be included at all depending on what checks we use for it. Not all mod authors are going to want to participate in making *another* banter for *another* mod.

I was always under the impression that, if you became a god, it had to be there, at Bhaal's throne of blood (there was the one opportunity and you could take it or walk away).

And my mind goes into the "Let me think on it" section of Meatloaf's "Paradise by the Dashboard Lights"... "Let me think on it!"

Sequence:

Solar: So, it's up to you. you can either destroy the Bhaal essence and remove it from the world, or you can take it all into yourself, and raise to your place among the Gods. What do you want to do?

PC: Um, can I sleep on it? Maybe talk it over with <Romance interest> and <Trusted companion>? It's a huge choice you're putting forward there: Godlike power, my own ideas on what to do with it, hanging with AO and Correlan Lothander and all those guys, or staying a schmuck, but getting the big benefit of having no worshippers crying for divine intervention while i'm taking a bath.

Solar: You're serious? How long do you think this essence will just sit here? I mean, give them time, Asmodeus or Cyric or someone will find a way to take it over, like that mortal Mellisan did. I mean if a ditz like her can figure it out, why shouldn't a major God?

PC: Lady, I can't take this pressure! What, you think it's every day you're given the opportunity to join the pantheon? Yeah, i'll bet that happens to you all the time. "Hey, fate spirit of the multiverse, we need a fourth for God-bridge, how'd you like a promotion?" And you're like "What's the retirement plan like?" Look, us mortals, we have a hard time contemplating this, especially since my WIS and INT are both 4, to max out STR, DEX and CON!

Solar: No, I know of no Solar ever offered Godhood. Look, it's no skin off my nose to lett it sit for decades, but I don't think it will be here when you come back.

PC: What? I can't just come here anytime? I've gotten pretty darn good at spontaneous planr travel.

Solar: That power is from the essence of the dead God. If you don't take the mantel, you probably won't be able to visit Hell at will.

PC: Oh, bother. Um, sure. I'll become a God.

Solar: Great! Here you go, all the essence of Bhall is yours.

PC: <smites solar, takes on human form, and goes about life as they want.>

The only problem with something like this is that it is adding on a whole new part (even a small one) to the game. Which means that many mod characters wont say anything or won't be included at all depending on what checks we use for it. Not all mod authors are going to want to participate in making *another* banter for *another* mod.

I don't disagree with you but it's still a cool idea. Admittedly I don't personally have much creative talent but it seems that this would be a fairly easy dialogue to write. It's not like you'd need multiple branching dialogue options and the Epilogue's are already written based on the PC's decision. I hopes nobody takes this the wrong way because I appreciate and admire every modder that's had the vision, creativity and perseverance to write/code an NPC mod (I doubt I could do it); and without them the replay value of this series would be significantly reduced. But would a real "good-bye"/"what's our next adventure" dialogue be that difficult to do? Annoying maybe but not difficult.

Something else that occurred to me is that this might be a fairly natural extension (optional component?) of the CrossMod Banter Pack. Even if it stayed dialogue only like when you're at the ToL it would still be a nice addition to the game. That way those mod authors who wanted to do more than just a dialogue could, but it wouldn't require that level of work.

I absolutely love this idea. It seems like what I've always wanted at the game - a last sort of "Hey look, we did it, we're alive, we won" moment where I can talk to my party members. It seems like it would take a lot of work and coding to implement, but in my mind it would be worth it.

Yes, this is truly an excellent idea for a mod. To me one of the weakest points of the BG series has always been how abruptly it all ends. (this is of course an issue with BG1 as well, but arguably its ending is more of an intermission in any case.) Some sort of interactive epilogue like that suggested here could perhaps even revitalize that maligned stepchild of the saga, ToB.

Archived