Delaying commitment

berelinde

The romances are great. The romance conflict dialogs are also well written. But it's always over so soon. By the time you finally get to Coran, somebody always wants things to be more serious.

In another thread, I put out a suggestion that the relationship not start until <CHARNAME> says 'go,' but this is not really a good option.

Since it is unrealistic to delay the start of the relationship, how about delaying the progression of it.

Leave the conflict timer alone (or shorten it a bit, maybe). But delay the commitment phase until the pc says it's OK. Which, for Xan and Coran is darned difficult. Coran because it can potentially occur quite early. Xan because you get there after a crisis.

For Coran, I wouldn't worry too much about the early commitment path. If <CHARNAME> hops in bed that fast, no romance conflict timer in the world is going to change anything.

So, this is one suggestion, and not even a good one: force the romance to go into a holding pattern after the last LT before the turning point. Flirts, whether NPC initiated or PID, would still continue as normal. But the crucial LT would not happen until the PC indicated that she is ready. Would something like "NPC, is there something we should talk about?" be too transparent or artificial?

These are the last 'safe' LTs to pause the romance:

Ajantis: 16

Coran: no idea--never managed to get there

Xan: 12--not a good choice, but his relationship has a rather awkward spot right in the middle

Anyone with a better idea?

I prefer Xan Romance to stay the way it is - as you have rightly pointed out, the relationship is designed to progress drastically after a certain crisis.

Moreover, I feel your suggestion is more or less in the spirit of multiromancing which I, personally, tried my best to avoid, and I think some of Domi's and jastey's coding efforts went into it, too. So I feel the best alternative would be to manage timers yourself, or to say "no" to the "wrong" suitor.

No, I'm not interested in multiple romances. And that's the reason I'd like to have an easier way to get to the conflict. I realize that it is better to stick to one NPC at a time and tell the others that you just aren't interested in them in that way.

But I would like to get to see the conflict *once* and am getting kind of tired of trying to set it up, juggling timers, and *still* not getting to see it. There is a lot more material to explore beyond, and trying to create the right set of conditions is getting me nowhere. I'd like to get there once, see it, say "Wow, that was really cool," and stop wondering what I'm missing. You, Domi, and Jastey put a lot of work into that, and I feel bad about never getting to appreciate it.

And I do realize that Xan's character and romance development are definitely unique, which adds to his charm.

No, I'm not interested in multiple romances. And that's the reason I'd like to have an easier way to get to the conflict. I realize that it is better to stick to one NPC at a time and tell the others that you just aren't interested in them in that way.

But I would like to get to see the conflict *once* and am getting kind of tired of trying to set it up, juggling timers, and *still* not getting to see it. There is a lot more material to explore beyond, and trying to create the right set of conditions is getting me nowhere. I'd like to get there once, see it, say "Wow, that was really cool," and stop wondering what I'm missing. You, Domi, and Jastey put a lot of work into that, and I feel bad about never getting to appreciate it.

And I do realize that Xan's character and romance development are definitely unique, which adds to his charm.

Amen to this. I feel the same way. I also would like to see the conflict at least once and not have to agonize on how to do it. I appreciate good writing, too, and would like to experience as much as I can. Then I can enjoy the solo romances without wondering what I've missed. It would just be nice to experience. Especially since this is my first BG game in years and these great mods are now available, I really want to get as much out of the experience as possible. :)

I think the "default" is to go FAI, grab K&J;p then down to nashkel, where you swap Xzar&M for Minsc & gyn, then pick up Xan in the mine. From there, fairly quickly, perhaps with branwen, or kivan, to tranzig, and then right off to Peldvale, where you join up and get the cutscene, then stealthily clean out the master's tent and advance the chapter.

Then you would be fairly close in time picking up Xan, Ajantis and Coran. Xan would be the longest with you, and that could be as little as 3 or 4 days. Easily less than an hour.

Ah, the conflict. I see what you mean. But here is your answer:

http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?s...ost&p=66593

I'll be very much against doing anything with Coran's romance progression. It has 7 paths as it is and is difficult to manage. Putting it on hold will necessitate too much checking and rechecking the scripts, let alone that fact that the boy is er... hotheaded.

The easy way to see the challenge is to leave out Xan out of the equasion temporarily, as the conflict primarily has Ajantis' and Coran's material. Both NPCs can be picked up roughly at the same time. The sending to the inn component should help you keep Xan on hold easily enough for the time you are waiting on the challenge to happen - and take him in the party about the same time Ajantis and Coran get in. It really does not take that much time/efforts to spring the challenge. The timers are super-short, etc.

Nah, I don't think you offended, and it was a valid suggestion. I was considering whether this would make sense in the Ajantis romance, for which, compared to the other two, it would be possible to implement rather easy technically, but even for him it would not suit the character, and I would be afraid such a feature could lead to several "bug" reports of Ajantis not proposing because people didn't read the manual and don't find the right button (no offence meant to potential romance players)...

I think making sure you have both Ajantis and Coran in the party and no romance (including Xan's) being committed should make the challenge kick in rather quickly. At least that is what I thought; it is sad to hear that it's so hard to make work for you because I don't think you are the only ones that have problems with this.

Did you try setting Xan's LT timer to 1+1/2 hours (the longest) and picking up Ajantis and Coran shortly one after the another?

Putting it on hold will necessitate too much checking and rechecking the scripts, let alone that fact that the boy is er... hotheaded.

Coran, or me? ;) (You talkin ta ME? You talkin' to ME??!?) :)

On the other referenced post, what I should have said was *discuss* changing the romance challenges with the authors *before* making blanket statements about the futire changes in the mod. If any of the three romance authors are hesitant, then this section is off, not because it isn't a great idea, but because it doesn't match author intent!

'Course, that doesn't mean that folks can't pester the authors into submission. I have seen all three of the Female Romance authors actively and clearly talking wit folks about their ideas; I have not seen them get offended by it, and many times the attempt sparks the authors into making adjustments or changes. Just like overpowered items, it is fine to talk about it; you just have to convince the original author it is a valid concern!

(Please note... I am not an author, original or otherwise. I can organize or implement stuff, but artistic content is the purview of these ladies, plus Andyr. I can suggest how to fix it, but unless author intent is completely clear, I just go ask them before doing stuff anyways :D ).

I'm currently doing some proofreading, and I suspect that by the time I get around to gaming again, cmorgan is going to have something wonderful to try that doesn't involve resetting any timers or doing too much party rearranging. But I think I may try sending Xan to the FAI immediately after meeting him, then picking up Coran and Ajantis to watch the conflict.

And I should put some time into another project or two :)

Archived