Defender of Easthaven flail bug

Guest Terminus Est

Guest Terminus Est

Hey all. I bought the Defender of Easthaven from the bonus merchant Joluv and when I equipped it, I noticed that it didn't give me the extra 1 AC that it's supposed to give. I looked for it on Baldurdash and that site doesn't have a bug fix. I originally brought this to people's attention in the BG2 forum at the BioWare site, and someone there reccomended that I go to this G3 forum and bring this to your attention.

well, clean patched install, the WAFLAIL does have the effect... and it works on my modded install with G3 fixes. Refinements mod seems to have a copy of it, but I haven't explored what the difference is between that and the base one.

First, just rename WAFLAIL.ITM inyour override to something else, like WAFLAIL_.ITM - that will restore the one in ITEMS.BIF to active, and it should work fine.

Guest Terminus Est

I don't quite understand what you mean there. Clean patched install? What do you exactly mean by that? And what is this refinements mod? I don't have a WAFLAIL.ITM in my Override folder. Should I extract the one from Items.bif to my Override folder and then rename it to WAFLAIL_.ITM?

I don't quite understand what you mean there. Clean patched install? What do you exactly mean by that? And what is this refinements mod? I don't have a WAFLAIL.ITM in my Override folder. Should I extract the one from Items.bif to my Override folder and then rename it to WAFLAIL_.ITM?

Oh, now THAT is interesting.

"Clean Patched Install" is an install fresh off the CDs, after applying the official patch.

If you don't have a waflail.itm in your override, then if's using the one in items.bif - well, there are a couple more places it could be hiding, but that would be very, very crazy. But there is no reason to extract from a bif to your override.

The idea of renaming the file is so it won't be used. your character is carrying an item called WAFLAIL - and if you have a file somewhere with a file name waflail.itm, the game will use it. the file name is nonsense to the code - you could copy a helm to waflail.itm and the game would merrily display a helm for you.

Next step is to post your Weidu.log file - perhaps someone might have an idea. it's vaguely possible somehow you got immunity to effect 0 - but then your armor would not give you AC, either. the only thing I could think of was the item being changed.

Guest Terminus Est
Also, make sure you're not equipping the flail in your offhand. If you have a point in single weapon style when you do so, you'll lose the +1 AC from weapon style and gain +1 from the flail, for a net no change :)

Oooh, now THAT must explain it. Yeah after buying the DoE, I equipped it in my off hand. I also had a point in single weapon style. So now I see.

PEBCAK = Problem exists between chair and keyboard (i.e. you). Wizwom's not being very nice. :)

The AC bonus works regardless of where it's equipped. It seems like no bonus because you're losing the +1 AC from single weapon style as you're now dual-wielding.

PEBCAK = Problem exists between chair and keyboard (i.e. you). Wizwom's not being very nice. :)

The AC bonus works regardless of where it's equipped. It seems like no bonus because you're losing the +1 AC from single weapon style as you're now dual-wielding.

Ah yes I get it. Never heard of the term, though I'm quite familiar with it's closest relative - RTFM.

Hmm, ok I just observed it again and you are absolutely correct. It does work after all, though the AC that I get from single weapon style was misleading me after all. Thanks.

WizWom do you treat every stranger coming here who asks about these sorts of technical game issues like this?

Archived