custom wild mage Spellshaper kit

Lemernis

There's a pretty neat custom wild mage kit mod out there that I just used for BG1 Tutu http://home.tiscali.de/jo.ge/bg/shaper.htm and if anyone's familiar with it perhaps they can help me resolve a dilemma:

I played BG1 Tutu with my PC as a regular wild mage using the new spells and a few other goodies in this mod. Now I'm taking the level 9 wild mage PC into BG2. But in BG2 I'd like to try out the custom Spellshaper kit. The character imports as a standard wild mage, and I don't see how to convert him to a Spellshaper. Any thoughts on how to do this?

I suppose I could roll up a new character, and give him the same stats as the BG1 Tutu character. And when I choose wild mage in BG2 the mod will automatically make him into a Spellshaper. Then I could CLUA Console his XP to the amount he would have imported with, and edit his spell selection via Shadowkeeper.

Any other thoughts?

According to its docs you won't become a Spellshaper automatically with the mod installed-

There are two ways to become a Spellshaper:

1. When the protagonist is a non-lawful Wild Mage, he'll have the chance

to become a Spellshaper in the midst of combat, when he gets badly hurt.

2. Lawful protagonists and other party members need to study Rhialto's spellbook

One of the spells - "Rhialto's Chaos Conduit" forces the same changes

upon the caster, that happen spontaneously to a non-lawful protagonist.

(from Wild Mage Additions Readme.txt)

Ah! I should have RTFM...err, RM!

My memory is coming back to me on this now. About a month ago when I began my BG1 Tutu game I wasn't sure I if wanted to play a Spellshaper. And when the change took place almost immediately when Rhialto attacked the party, I seemed to have no choice in the matter. Having never played a wild mage before, I wanted to see what a standard one was like. So I uninstalled the Spellshaper component and restarted the game.

So cool, it'll happen when he gets injured badly enough. (And I suppose he'll have to face Rhialto again in BG2? Guess I'll find out.)

Just felt like commenting that this Spellshaper kit looks really neat. It's very early in the game yet, but so far I like it a lot.

Right after conversion to the kit, I slumped a bit when I noticed that a lot of my spell slots had disappeared. But I quickly realized I they were sacrificed for five Weave Spell feats (at Spellchaper level 9) that allows you to weave them into other higher level spells. The Weave Spell selection includes a variety of new custom spells that look pretty cool.

With this kit, wizard HLAs are sacrificed for feats, many of which are Rougish in nature such as backstabbing (while invisible). So the character can be much like a mage-thief. Myself, I really enjoy that sort of 'live dangerously' playstyle, i.e., using stealth and backstabing, and then spellcasting and meleeing at close range.

Actually, the PC's cat familiar nearly makes for a full thief, and I'm getting a kick out of actually using the critter to scout, find traps, pickpocket, and pick locks.

Also, although there are no official HLAs the PC does receive Assassination, Avoid Death, and Evasion. And the Weave Spell feat allows casts of such spells as Creeping Doom, Earthquake, Fire Storm, Implosion, Aura of Flaming Death, and Summon Planetar. (He'll sacrifice lower level spell slots to get those--and there is always a chance of a wild surge.)

Anyway, any suggestions for a SoA (and ToB) party for this character?

The guiding concept for the character is that he is very risktaking (High Int, but low Wis). He has a lot invested in a theory that chaos generates opportunity. So he likes to assemble chaotic, nutty, or otherwise unlikely adventurers to join him, finding their 'energy' useful. That rules out the most stable or otherwise serious personalities such as Keldorn, Mazzy, Valygar, Anomen, and Jaheira.

I intend to playtest Hubelpot (as Village Druid) for the duration of the game. Imoen will remain in the party after being rescued. She's a standard Bard for this game. So I'll have four slots to fill (after Spellhold three slots).

In BG1 the PC adventured with Immy, Minsc, Xzar, Tiax, and Finch.

I'll probably continue with Minsc at least until I get a chance to see Boo's kidnapping (via Unfinished Business).

I'm eager to try both Amber and Kelsey, both of which are installed. Although Amber seems like a better fit for the party concept. And I do need a thief (though Jan could perform those duties).

Don't really know much about Kelsey, just have read stuff to the effect that he's a great sorcerer and wit. (I've been considering saving him for a future game where I use Kivan, Xan, and Edwin in both BG1 and BG2.)

Just one futher comment: I am so impressed with what the BG modding community has accomplished. Each time I play, as I sample a new set of mods, with a greater variety of NPCs, new kits, etc., the experience is markedly different--and even more fun. I take my hat off once again to you guys and gals for all excellent work you've done! Thanks!

Yeah, it's the newest Hubelpot beta version. I kind of like the fact that he has very little offensive capabilities, at least early on. Actually, you're reminding me that I should ask Bookwyrm and SConrad if there are any specific things I should be looking to test out.

Just a side note here, but after rescuing Haer'Dalis, I was rather surprised to see my wild mage Spellshaper PC get rewarded with the deed to the theatre. I thought only bards could receive it as a stronghold. I've never experienced this piece of the game before, and am looking forward to it. Receiving such an unexpected boon certainly reinforces the PC's 'chaos' theory.

Yeah, it's the newest Hubelpot beta version. I kind of like the fact that he has very little offensive capabilities, at least early on. Actually, you're reminding me that I should ask Bookwyrm and SConrad if there are any specific things I should be looking to test out.

Good to know progress is being made with Hubelpot. ;)

Just a side note here, but after rescuing Haer'Dalis, I was rather surprised to see my wild mage Spellshaper PC get rewarded with the deed to the theatre. I thought only bards could receive it as a stronghold. I've never experienced this piece of the game before, and am looking forward to it. Receiving such an unexpected boon certainly reinforces the PC's 'chaos' theory.

It could be related to this part of the kit's description:

"Similar to a bard, a spellshaper has a lot of interests: He intuitively learns a bit of everything that crosses his path, but lacks the discipline to master these things to the same extend as a more focused character."

Should be interesting to see if you can get the mage stronghold as well. :mad:

General wild mage question: how do you remove the glowing golden color the PC will sometimes turn due to a wild surge? I tried Remove Curse but it still remains. Is there a global variable I can turn off with Shadowkeeper?

IIRC that wild surge doesn't set any variables, it simply changes your colour - so I guess you would just change your colour back with Shadowkeeper to fix it (SK does allow colour editing, doesn't it?). Although I don't know why you'd want to, don't you want to be the golden boy / girl? :):)

The only wild mage custom kit I'm aware of is the Spellshaper from the mod Wild Mage Additions: http://home.tiscali.de/jo.ge/bg/shaper.htm. Is this the one you're thinking of maybe?

All I can say is I really, really like this kit. The conept of sacrificing spellslots in order to cast higher level spelsl works out really well in practice. The custom spells don't seem overpowered, although I'm still only 22 (game) days into the game. The new spells are really creative. I haven't used the Rogue abilities yet much, as I'm having fun spallcasting. I do look forward to doing more backstabbing as the game progresses, though. Anyway, I give this kit very high marks--it's lots of fun.

Can you provide a link to the Spellweaver kit?

RPG Dungeon

It is currently a part of the RPG Dungeon Kit Pack. The stand-alone Art of Weaving mod of which the kit was a part is no longer available nor supported by Sorvan (she's moved on). If you dislike the Kit Pack for some reason, I might be able to send you the Art of Weaving V4... but you'd have to agree NOT to bother Sorvan if you find any bugs (all bugs with the kits now go to Seifer at RPG Dungeon).

- D

Archived