Dermin's second appearance

Guest Guest

Is the crash something that happens consistently, or is it something that's only happened once? Does it still happen when you rest in a different area? We're kinda entering the 'clutching at straws' phase here.

jade1-4 don't have dialogue assigned and Dermin only speaks if Jaheira initiates the dialogue (which she'll only do under the same conditions they spawn). I'm not sure if any of the mods on the list alter them either, but being able to spawn them independently seems to rule them out as a crash source.

Is the crash something that happens consistently, or is it something that's only happened once? Does it still happen when you rest in a different area? We're kinda entering the 'clutching at straws' phase here.

jade1-4 don't have dialogue assigned and Dermin only speaks if Jaheira initiates the dialogue (which she'll only do under the same conditions they spawn). I'm not sure if any of the mods on the list alter them either, but being able to spawn them independently seems to rule them out as a crash source.

crash/freeze up happens every single time. Tried resting in a different (outdoor) area, same thing. One variable is that sometimes Jaheira's lovetalk (55) will start up after waking up from resting and sometimes it won't. I thought that this was the problem but according to the extensive romanceguide available at Sorcerer's Place Dermin's last appearance CAN be delayed until after lovetalk 55.

I've looked at Jaheira's dialogue to see if anything can be found as well as her bcs file, which WAS altered by seveal mods including the romance regardless of race option of BG2Tweaks among others...

Hmm, OK. At this point I think I will take that save game, along with a few files from your override folder: jaheiraj.dlg, jaheira.bcs, jadermin.cre, and jade1-4.cre. Email me at webmaster@gibberlings3.net.

Sorry for the problems you're encountering. :mad:

Hmm, OK. At this point I think I will take that save game, along with a few files from your override folder: jaheiraj.dlg, jaheira.bcs, jadermin.cre, and jade1-4.cre. Email me at webmaster@gibberlings3.net.

Sorry for the problems you're encountering. :mad:

Too late. I've uninstalled and erased the whole shabang. I may reinstall and try again eventually-hopefully fixpack will be out of beta by then and well established as much as BD was,but until then I'll probably stick with BD.

*shrug* who knows, maybe the issue isn't fixpack after all, but I do feel BD is proven and reliable, and never experienced ctd with it.

I just found this in the tp2 file for fixpack. It's under the ease of use romance bugfix section:

COPY_EXISTING ~jaheira.BCS~ ~override~

DECOMPILE_BCS_TO_BAF

REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~GlobalLT("DerminSpawn","GLOBAL",5)~

~ GlobalLT("DerminSpawn","GLOBAL",5)

!InParty(Myself)

THEN

RESPONSE #100

RealSetGlobalTimer("JaheiraRomance","GLOBAL",3600)

SetGlobal("DerminSpawn","GLOBAL",5)

SetGlobalTimer("DerminAppear","GLOBAL",17280)

StartDialogueNoSet([PC])

END

First off I went and compared this to the EoU tp2 file and found that the above bit exists nowhere in the tp2 for EoU...?? Secondly, the part that caught my eye was the line

!InParty(Myself)

I'm not a scripter but is that right? Isn't it a given that object Myself is always in party??

This is a script that Jaheira runs, so Object(Myself) refers to her creature, which can be in or out of the party ;) The script block you've quoted looks kind of odd though - I'd have to look at the script to be sure.

/edit Okay, there's an IF False() at the bottom of the script block you've quoted, so it's not as odd at it seemed :mad:

Ok, so scratch that from a possible cause/link to the showstopping Dermin appearance freeze... But it seemed like a good possibility as this snippet specificly makes modifications that affect this very last Dermin appearance that is causing the crash/freeze.

A couple questions:

What exactly is the above snippet/component/fix there for anyway? i.e. What exactly does it do?

why is it in there under the eou romance bugfix section when it's not present in the original eou tp2 file?

Yeah, REPLACE_BCS_BLOCK is horribly flaky. That's why we went with DECOMPILE/REPLACE instead.

That being said, thanks to the bigg's \n regular expression chicanery we should be able to patch these scripts in a much less goofy way.

A couple questions:

What exactly is the above snippet/component/fix there for anyway? i.e. What exactly does it do?

why is it in there under the eou romance bugfix section when it's not present in the original eou tp2 file?

The original script block looks like this:

IF
 Global("TerminselSpawn","GLOBAL",2)
 See([PC])
 Globallt("DerminSpawn","GLOBAL",5)
 !Inparty(Myself)
THEN
 RESPONSE #100
Realsetglobaltimer("JaheiraRomance","GLOBAL",3600)
Incrementglobal("LoveTalk","LOCALS",1)
Setglobal("DerminSpawn","GLOBAL",5)
Setglobaltimer("DerminAppear","GLOBAL",TWO_DAYS)
Startdialognoset([PC])
END

And the above patch makes it look like this (well, more or less)

IF
 Global("TerminselSpawn","GLOBAL",2)
 See([PC])		GlobalLT("DerminSpawn","GLOBAL",5)
	!InParty(Myself)
  THEN
	RESPONSE #100
	  RealSetGlobalTimer("JaheiraRomance","GLOBAL",3600)
	  SetGlobal("DerminSpawn","GLOBAL",5)
	  SetGlobalTimer("DerminAppear","GLOBAL",17280)
	  StartDialogueNoSet([PC])
  END

IF
	False()
THEN
 RESPONSE #100
Realsetglobaltimer("JaheiraRomance","GLOBAL",3600)
Incrementglobal("LoveTalk","LOCALS",1)
Setglobal("DerminSpawn","GLOBAL",5)
Setglobaltimer("DerminAppear","GLOBAL",TWO_DAYS)
Startdialognoset([PC])
END

The second "paragraph" does nothing at all, and the first is almost the same as it used to be. The differences are that the line "Incrementglobal("LoveTalk","LOCALS",1)" has been removed (so that this Dermin encounter won't screw up your romance), and that "TWO_DAYS" has been changed to "17280". That's all it does. It actually is in ease of use, but you'll have to dig a little bit to find it - look in the ease/romhap/rom folder for a file called "JAHERIA_1.bcs.patch", though you'll have to decompile it to find the part we're talking about :mad:

This section of script makes Jaheira talk to you - it doesn't create Dermin and his thugs.

Ok, that caught my eye-the incrementglobal of lovetalk being removed actually may be significant.

Here's what happened: I rested outdoors, and immediately after resting one of two different things would happen (I reloaded and tried resting again many times trying to fix this and got the different results): sometimes lovetalk 55 would fire up, run successfully and finish, then the game would freeze up (Jeheira's dialog of 'Stop, do you see him? Get ready' would not start). Or, sometimes I would hear the lovetalk music start, but the lovetalk dialog would not be able to run and the game would freeze. Or the lovetalk music didn't even start, the lovetalk dialog didn't start, and the game froze.

The way my game/romance played out, I'm almost positive (according to the Romance guide at SP) that what should've happened was we rest, wake up, and Jaheira does her 'Dawning' dialogue (lovetalk 55) and immediately afterwards Dermin shows up and she says 'Stop, get ready'. Is it possible that the removal of the above line could make this scenerio flaky to the point the game can lock up, I wonder? I'm not sure I understand how the incrementglobal precisely works-why is it not necessary for the script to work properly?

Archived