Level1NPCs Discussion

Azazello

Guest Guest_Nythrun_*
Assign them any class (and kit if you wish, chosen from whatever is in game)

Does it mean it will work with any kits added by mods(not just, say, Divine Remix), provided this one is installed last?

Yes :rant: It's one of the big reasons I was recommending that this be coded interactively. Anything that's installed will be available just as if it were Bioware kit. It might be necessary to add some exclusions later, if there's a lot of non-joinable only kits that are floating around that people just can't resist selecting, but I'm not seeing that as a serious concern :)

Still struggling to set up the independent Nythrun's Creature Corrector -1701 (ok, StarTrek humor on a fantasy board might not work :p ). I am learning, though, so it is fun - just may need someone to recheck edits after I toss them up on Nythrun's Code Bank on the Wikki.

From my standpoint, I dropped back to apprentice and playtester status, though will do anything and everything to assist in production, packaging, testing, etc. The wikki is out of date and untouched. I am going to data-mine it for snippets of useful info and reduce it considerably, as the project has evolved way past our code experiments. Nythrun has been doing impossible things with the fully-patching version, and as a concept mod I think she is breaking lots of new ground! Almost any NPC in all standard installs able to use whatever class/kit combinations the player has installed, corrected and rebuilt creatures, setting up appropriate class/kit weapons and equipment with regards to level; the ultimate NPC recasting mod.

Let me just slap together a rudimentary readme today or tomorrow and I'll put the prealpha up on rapidshare or something.

The error corrector bit would probably be more useful if it were more modular - anything you can think of that would improve it? (i.e. maybe an option to say "this creature is meant to be super tough and doesn't follow the rules for its saving throws, leave them alone).

Hey, I just reread the entire thread. Yay me.

Nythrun, where have you been all my life? A women who's a wicked developer, and has a (warped) sense of humor. Are you married? Wanna be?

BTW, Nythrun, me too thanks ya for all the support and work.

I can finally test the current code, but not until Sunday at the earliest. Sorry mates. Was the file on rapidshare the latest latest?

And is there anything we still need to add/expand/organize? Tables, templates, etc.?

We still have more to do on this, but I do feel it'll get made in the not-too-distant present, and it'll be kick-ass.

That's sweet, thank you.

The stuff on rapidshare is pre-alpha material (I haven't even named all of the directories, so it'll only work on Aerie). There's not all that much more to be done with the code though, so I'll put another version up in a few days. There will most likely be issues with BG1 npcs (mostly because I don't have BG1 at the moment!) but they ought to be easily repairable, provided I've not gone and done something dumb.

There's definately a lot of room for input yet, however ??? I'm fully expecting people to say the spell assignation sucks or the items starting characters get aren't suitable or that sort of objection :(

I'd have done it today, but I've had more than my fill of staring at it for awhile.

Latest build - let us tempt fate and call it alpha 1.0 - is available here.

Yay, now Xan can be a Fighter/Mage in TUTU, too!

Q: What about NPCs added by mods? Keto wants to be a skald!

A: None at this time. While I find it hypocritical for modders to

declare their work sacrosanct, there's certainly a contingent who

expect to have free reign trampling Bioware's intentions and other

modders intentions and the player's intentions while expecting their

own work to be pedestaled higher than, say, Shakespeare.

Ahem.

So mod NPCs aren't and won't be included without permission. With that said, Wes Weimer won't care if his NPCs are included, and J. Compton will probably allow PPG NPCs to be included if we all buy stock in Broken Hourglass, so it's possible some will show up later :p

(A competent programmer, who'll probably do lots of TBH coding in exchange... Hmm! :p )

BEGIN @666667 // Two Satans plus one!

GROUP @666666 // 666666 means Happy'Ass pwns u!

INSTALL_BY_DEFAULT // An absolute must play!

NO_LOG_RECORD // You can't get rid of it, but why would you want to?

SILENT // Who knows what I'm doing to your files!?!

*gulp*

Q: What about NPCs added by mods? Keto wants to be a skald!

A: None at this time. While I find it hypocritical for modders to

declare their work sacrosanct, there's certainly a contingent who

expect to have free reign trampling Bioware's intentions and other

modders intentions and the player's intentions while expecting their

own work to be pedestaled higher than, say, Shakespeare.

So mod NPCs aren't and won't be included without permission.

This is a courtesy to custom NPC designers. Let's get the mod working well first, then we can start a campaign to add custom NPCs.

Remember though that this mod will allow you to assign custom kits to for-now vanilla NPCs, so even if you can't change a custom NPC's kit, you can assign custom kits to standard NPCs.

Now let's see if the thing even works.

I don't know whose quote that was but there's something to be said about it though. Courtesy to active modders aside, did anyone ask the Bioware developers if they'd mind having their work altered? :p

And as long as we're in the business of reposting funny quotes:

I am going to say up front that this is a cool idea that I would never use...
:p

BTW I'm going to check out at least the creature corrector component (on Tutu) and then maybe give the rest of this thing a test run. Plug your ears!

My own preference for him was just to make the Moonblade a longsword always and give him one star in longswords: in the BG2 engine this is no problem and won't give him the ability to equip any other longswords while he's a mage.

Cool idea.

Nythrun, please PM CamDawg for a quick request for this to be hosted here, with its own forum; Miloch can mirror, but this is much more popular an idea than you think, I think. We Tutu-ites tend to forget that while we have EasyTutu Kits, etc, the BP folks have not had those options. This kind of thing is appealing to anyone who plays the game, regardless of their wish to play the "straight story" - as evidenced by the number of folks who build their characters, get their NPCs, then save the game and SK them into what they think should be there, + the folks who use ToB style tweak, + the folks who use SCS's 0 level NPCs. If you want a grunt moderator for cleaning stuff up and moving threads, you can volunteer me (just in case the reason you don't want a forum is the dreaded time maintaining of the forum). I can also volunteer to assist with packaging if you want (though you can probably wrap up a G3 sfx installer in your sleep).

I've followed this thread since it originally started oh so long ago with keen interest.

I'm one of the people who don't use Tutu (no offense) but would enjoy the ability to tinker and change the original kits of the BG2 NPCs and have used Blucher's mod from time to time. I agree that there could be quite a bit of interest once players become aware of the capabilities of this mod.

What I would like to see once you'all announce it to the world would be be a short readme that says which combinations of unmodded/modded games it works with, e.g., BG2 only, BG2+ToB, Tutu, etc. or if there are any mods that it will not work with and if there are any warnings that someone needs to know before using it.

Anyway, it's been impressive watching you work away on it, Nythrun. Kudos. I'm looking forward to when you feel comfortable releasing it for general use, goes gold(??) :)

John

And the armor assignation is rewritten from scratch too. All 4,777 lines of it. Thief kits with the shapeshifter unusability flag will get what's coming to them now - a whole lot of nothing.

I'm going to try tracking down this Armor Class gremlin now and smash it with my shoe - if the upload is delayed until late tonight, it's because I've dozed off and am not dreaming of PATCH_IF :)

Meanwhile, I've been informed that "Level One NPCs" is a name lacking in panache. Suggestions are welcome :love:

Archived