Jaheria repeating herself constantly

Guest Theruss

"I will not kill someone without sufficiant reason. Come with us and we will find your Dynaheir and we will decide how to proceed."

After I chose the option. Edwin said he'd come with but didn't join the party at all, and then when you click on him again. It says, Edwin has nothing to say to you. I tried with an empty slot in the party and without.

It seems that response option is useless. However, you can just say that you accept and he joins up no problem. Just thought I'd share this strange occurance.

I'm on it -- the response to that one is supposed to be Edwin joining the party. I wrote something slightly different, and a little silly. Responses 3 and 4 lead to this:

CHAIN IF ~~ THEN ~_EDWIN~ X#EdwinJoinsAlone
@10
== ~_BMINSC~ IF ~InParty("minsc") !Dead("minsc") !StateCheck("minsc",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN @11
== ~_EDWIN~ IF ~InParty("minsc") !Dead("minsc") !StateCheck("minsc",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN @12 DO ~JoinParty()~
END
IF ~~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("X#MinscProtestsEdwin","GLOBAL",1)~ JOURNAL @13 EXIT

All fine and good, if you have Minsc in the party; kinda silly if you don't, as I only let the action happen if Minsc is there in the first place!

I have amended the next version to use

CHAIN IF ~~ THEN ~_EDWIN~ X#EdwinJoinsAlone
@10
== ~_BMINSC~ IF ~InParty("minsc") !Dead("minsc") !StateCheck("minsc",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN @11
== ~_EDWIN~ IF ~InParty("minsc") !Dead("minsc") !StateCheck("minsc",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN @12
END
IF ~~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("X#MinscProtestsEdwin","GLOBAL",1) ActionOverride("Edwin",JoinParty())~ JOURNAL @13 EXIT

And will go back to make sure the journal entry does not talk about Minsc :mad: (see what happens when you play goody-goody Paladin types all the time -- turns your brains to mush!)

Looking at this, I need one more entry for Edwin to say during this sequence if Minsc is not in the party, and then I need to go back and make sure Minsc doesn't have the same error later on...

I got another strange occurance for ya. Okay, I just defeated Mulahey. I have Branwen in my party and I think she is trying for a romance with Hero. Anyway, she spoke to him twice so far about where and who trained him. The second one was about herself. Finally the third one is about Tempus.

Alright, the strange occurance happened in the third conversation with Branwen. When I left the mines she began talking about Tempus and how Hero fights well but needs faith. So, I chose the response to tell her to talk to him about Tempus. Then after she was done. I made Hero respond with the third option saying that Branwen is beautiful when talking about Tempus and perhaps Hero could get a private session...

She responds with perhaps and asks another question about harness the tides of battle or the cowards way out. Okay, I am given 4 responses and each one leads to nothing... literally.

The conversation just ends just like that, yet the display window seems to scroll down quite a bit giving the idea that there should be text and a response afterwards. Yet, all I see is a big gap of blank.

Me thinks this is a bug and there should be a text response after answering her 3rd question. I don't recall any instance where a player response does literally nothing but close the conversation with no result.

Just thought I'd tell you guys about that... I am going to try to respond differently with different answers to see if they all lead to that big blank window at the end. Unless it is normal... but I don't think so... it's odd...

Okay, I tried different options. I said the "Thank you" instead of asking for that private session. Which ended up leading to the harness battle or coward line which resulted in that big blank window that I spoke of before. Okay...

So, I tried again and answered her first question saying "I have faith" Then she spoke of Tempus as usual. Afterwards I chose a different response, "I live like that, Tempus or not." Which she responded with being happy and what not, thus ending the conversation.

So, basically. I think the "Harness battle or coward" question is a bit buggy... it really looks like there should be some dialog from Branwen after you answer that 3rd question of hers. Instead of nothing but a big blank window... What do you think cmorgon? I find it a bit odd...

Well, now, let's open things up and take a look...

in \BG1NPC\Phase3\BRROM\DLG\P#BRLT.D

IF ~~ P#BRLT3.7
SAY @85  <<<~I will not bother you with long and tedious recitals. Tempus sees true devotion, and does not favour smooth-tongued tricksters.~
= @86 <<<<~War is a force of change, <CHARNAME>, fair and pure, and it should not be feared. Courage, decisiveness and skill is required of a warrior on the battlefield - Tempus does not require that you engage in a hopeless battle, but that if you do, you halt it quickly and resolutely, never underestimating your foe. The goal and challenge of every battle is personal betterment, and thus honorable demeanor is as important to the warrior as mother's milk is to the newborn babe.~
++ @87 + P#BRLT3.10
++ @88 + P#BRLT3.12 << exits with "I am most happy to hear that from your lips, friend. Let us..." no change in Romance
++ @89 + P#BRLT3.9  << ends up at 3.10
++ @90 "What utter rubbish!" + P#BRLT3.8  "Bah I'm wastinfg time <<Ends romance and exits dialogue immediately
END

So the problem is with 3.10;

IF ~~ P#BRLT3.10
SAY @93 Do you strive to harness the tides of battle, <CHARNAME>? Or do you seek and take the coward's way out?~
++ @94 ~I find no fault in my actions. I'm not the type to submit into a berserker rage, after all.~ + P#BRLT3.13
++ @95 ~I find no fault in my actions. I'm not the type to submit into a berserker rage, after all.~ ~I do not cower, Branwen. My path is clear, and it is the path of righteousness.~+ P#BRLT3.12
++ @96 ~Kill 'em all, and kill 'em quick, I say.~+ P#BRLT3.11
++ @97 ~Do not dare to judge me, woman. You will regret it.~ + P#BRLT3.8
IF ~~ THEN EXIT <<< I bet this is the problem right here
END

I don't know, but I think you uncovered a pretty old unnoticed bug :mad:. I don't think that it is usual to set up a set of replies with the last line being an automatic exit on return. I have deleted that line. It should have allowed you to see the following possibilities:

P#BRLT3.13 ~I have little liking for cowards, <CHARNAME>, yet I see that you are not one. But still, you would do well to ponder my words: it will not hurt you to be more forthright in battle from now on.~ EXIT

P#BRLT3.12 I am most happy to hear that from your lips, friend. Let us plunge into the next fray, then, and teach the lesson to the faithless and dishonorable!

P#BRLT3.11 ~A killing arm is but a beast's claw without pride and honor to guide it. Look to faith, <CHARNAME>, before vileness consumes you.~

P#BRLT3.8 listed above, basically "I'm wasting my toime" with a kill-the-romance variable.

Another good catch! Folks should not be shy about reporting these. One of the advantages of this project is its large number of possibilities, and the large replay value of random number usage. This is a disadvantage to playtesters, though. You can replay this mod over and over again, and still not get all the banters -- a pretty huge team (by moding standards) vetted it and playtested the heck out of it, but there is so much ground to cover that it becomes important for everyone to toss up stuff just in case it is a fixable thing!

(Oh, forgot to say - this causes no problem for your game - and is now fixed for the regualr release ;) )

I thought it was a bit odd. I knew it was a good idea to post a message about it here. I am glad to provide a little bit of help by reporting these small things I notice when playing. Rest assured that I will continue to do so, when I notice a odd or strange thing every now and then. It's the least us gamers can do for you guys who take their own time and make these great mods for a great game.

I must admit, the banter is very well done. It's quite amusing the banter between Jaheria and Edwin. Actually all Edwin banter has been funny so far. Too bad I decided not to use Minsc this game. He probably has some really funny banter... next time for sure!

"I am most happy to hear that from your lips, friend. Let us plunge into the next fray, then, and teach the lesson to the faithless and dishonorable!"

Branwen said that line after I chose the different choices. So, I assume that is probably the best outcome :mad:

Thanks for posting those, berelinde. I hope my download wasn't faulty. I sent the WeiDU and DEBUG logs to cmorgan earlier for he could check if it did indeed install correctly, or not...

Did you get that zip of it?

Edit: Even though you did edit your post. I still saw it and I appreciated it. ;)

For the record, the Branwen error was corrected on one version, but in my playing with the BGT files, etc. I think I reintroduced it :mad: . I will grab WinDiff and run a check to make sure that the final version is using all of the correct files. I got paranoid, and had three active versions and two .rar backups on my desktop... not a good idea, that.

I did get the .zip, and will be checking it Friday afternoon. I'll send you a PM on what I find, but I think the errors were mine, not your installs'.

I will post an update to that internal site this weekend, but barring something unforseen, we may be looking at the full version release next Tuesday or Wednesday, depending on what the BGT playtesters report. This error and the others listed, plus the changes to Dynaheir's romance and the recheck on Dynaher's Quest should be ready to go public then. I will send updated TRA files to Yarpen and Immortality at that time, too!

Archived