Amber kidnapping help

Guest Guest

First of all, I'm playing Amber v1.1 multiplayer with a friend and a few other mods, WeiDU.log is at the bottom. I realize I have a few mods that aren't even mentioned on the compatibility thread. Let me know if I just need to start over with Amber v2.1... and I might have messed up on mod order.

We've had a bug where, after booting a character, they would reappear in the area they were booted from. So far, this has affected Viconia and Yoshimo, and now Amber. When Amber was kidnapped (in Trademeet), we noticed that she reappeared right where she was when she was kidnapped. If we talked to her, she acted like she was booted. So instead of talking to her, we continued the quest as normal, defeated Ymmyrt, found the empty room, went on with the game for a little longer... and Amber never showed up. (I assume she's supposed to approach the party after a while?) So we went back to Trademeet, spoke with glitch-Amber, had her join the party, aaand... no talk of kidnapping, and M#AmberRomanceActive was set to 3.

I suppose what we'd like to know is did we miss some clue in how to find Amber? Should we wait longer? Or was this an issue with Amber v1.1? Also, can we continue with the current game, or with an earlier save, and what Globals need to be changed to continue the Player2 romance? (M#AmberRomanceActive should be 1 at this point, right?) Will Amber leave the party anymore? And before I forget, thank you so much for creating her! :mad: It's been lonely since she left, we really want her back! ;)

And, as promised, the WeiDU.log:

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name
~SETUP-OVERSIGHT.TP2~ #0 #5 // Cleric Kits
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #0 // BG2 Fixpack - Core Fixes
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #1 // BG2 Fixpack - Game Text Update
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #2 // Super Happy Fun Lucky Modder Pack
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #100 // Party Gets XP for Sending Keldorn to Reconcile With Maria
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #101 // Improved Spell Animations
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #104 // Ghreyfain's Holy Symbol Fixes
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #105 // Additional Hero Quests in Trademeet Wait Until Hero is Officially Named
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #106 // Giants Receive Penalties When Attacking Halflings, Dwarves, and Gnomes
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #108 // Remove Second Attribute Bonus for Evil Path in Wrath Hell Trial
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #8 // Revised Hell Trials
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #10 // Improved Oasis II -> IO2 Dialogue Enhancement Only
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #11 // Saving Sanik In Brynnlaw
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #16 // Sending The Solamnic Knights Home
~SETUP-BANTERPACK.TP2~ #0 #0 // Pocket Plane Banter Pack for BG2: Shadows of Amn
~SETUP-BANTERPACK.TP2~ #0 #2 // Pocket Plane Banter Pack for BG2: Throne of Bhaal
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #0 // Aerie Flirt Pack For SOA
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #2 // Aerie Flirt Pack For TOB
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #4 // Jaheira Flirt Pack for SOA
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #6 // Jaheira Flirt Pack for TOB
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #8 // Viconia Flirt Pack for SOA
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #10 // Viconia Flirt Pack for TOB
~SETUP-TASHIA.TP2~ #0 #0 // Tashia NPC Mod -> Full version (ToB required)
~SETUP-TASHIA.TP2~ #0 #3 // Tashia Add-on Pack by Bri and Lord Ernie (English only, Tashia ToB Required) -> Baldurized Dialogues
~SETUP-AMBER.TP2~ #0 #0 // Amber the NPC MOD for BGII:SoA
~SETUP-AMBER.TP2~ #0 #1 // multiplayer-friendly flirting for Amber
~SETUP-D0TWEAK.TP2~ #0 #0 // Enhanced Goodberries
~SETUP-D0TWEAK.TP2~ #0 #4 // Tweaked Weapon Enchantments
~SETUP-D0TWEAK.TP2~ #0 #11 // Visual Ioun Stones
~SETUP-D0TWEAK.TP2~ #0 #13 // Kensai Ryu's Restored Drow Innate Abilities
~SETUP-CELESTIALS.TP2~ #0 #0 // PnP Celestials
~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #0 // 1PP: Everything but Potions
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #60 // Weapon Animation Tweaks
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #120 // Change Avatar When Wearing Robes or Armor (Galactygon)
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #130 // Force All Dialogue to Pause Game
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1010 // More Interjections
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1020 // Alter HP Triggers for NPC Wounded Dialogues
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1040 // Improved Athkatlan City Guard
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1070 // Improved Kick-out Dialogues
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1080 // Add Bags of Holding
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1150 // Shapeshifter Rebalancing
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1170 // Bonus Merchants (Baldurdash)
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1180 // Female Edwina
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2010 // PnP Spell Progression Tables
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2060 // Weapon Styles for All
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2150 // Wear Multiple Protection Items -> P&P Restrictions
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2160 // Rebalanced Weapon Proficiencies
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2170 // Cast Spells from Scrolls (and Other Items) at Character Level
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2180 // Un-Nerfed THAC0 Table, Saving Throws, Grand-Mastery, and  Arcane, Divine Spell Progression (Blucher)
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2191 // Limit Ability of Storekeepers to Identify Items -> Identification Ability is Based on Storekeeper's Lore
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2210 // True Grand Mastery (Baldurdash)
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3060 // Remove "You Must Gather Your Party..." Sound (Weimer)
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3150 // Turn Off The Hideous Cloak-of-Mirroring and Spell-Trap Animation
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3200 // Sellable Staffs, Clubs, and Slings (Icelus)
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4010 // Improved Fate Spirit Summoning
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4020 // ToB-Style NPCs
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4050 // Change Jaheira to Neutral Good
~SETUP-REFINEMENTS.TP2~ #0 #10 // Revised High Level Abilities

Thanks, I thought something was wrong. I've re-installed with the most recent version of Amber, slightly different install order, and a few less components, so hopefully I'll avoid it this time. Maybe we'll even find what was bugging it up before Meira and Darios get back. :mad:

Okay, it looks like I still haven't gotten rid of the glitch. After we kick out a character, they appear to leave as they should, but when we re-enter the area, that character is visible on one or both computers. Viconia and Yoshimo still hang around where we left them, so this is bound to happen to Amber... so my friend suggested we stop playing and wait for Meira and Darios.

Actually, I'm becoming convinced that this isn't an Amber bug at all, so if someone has an idea what the real source of our bug is, I'll post in the proper forum. Does anyone know how thoroughly all these other mods have been tested with multiplayer?

New install order with Amber v2.1, completely new game. Here's the new WeiDU.log:

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #0 // BG2 Fixpack - Core Fixes
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #1 // BG2 Fixpack - Game Text Update
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #2 // Super Happy Fun Lucky Modder Pack
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #100 // Party Gets XP for Sending Keldorn to Reconcile With Maria
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #101 // Improved Spell Animations
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #104 // Ghreyfain's Holy Symbol Fixes
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #105 // Additional Hero Quests in Trademeet Wait Until Hero is Officially Named
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #106 // Giants Receive Penalties When Attacking Halflings, Dwarves, and Gnomes
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #108 // Remove Second Attribute Bonus for Evil Path in Wrath Hell Trial
~SETUP-OVERSIGHT.TP2~ #0 #5 // Cleric Kits
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #8 // Revised Hell Trials
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #10 // Improved Oasis II -> IO2 Dialogue Enhancement Only
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #11 // Saving Sanik In Brynnlaw
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #16 // Sending The Solamnic Knights Home
~SETUP-BANTERPACK.TP2~ #0 #0 // Pocket Plane Banter Pack for BG2: Shadows of Amn
~SETUP-BANTERPACK.TP2~ #0 #2 // Pocket Plane Banter Pack for BG2: Throne of Bhaal
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #0 // Aerie Flirt Pack For SOA
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #2 // Aerie Flirt Pack For TOB
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #4 // Jaheira Flirt Pack for SOA
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #6 // Jaheira Flirt Pack for TOB
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #8 // Viconia Flirt Pack for SOA
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #10 // Viconia Flirt Pack for TOB
~SETUP-TASHIA.TP2~ #0 #0 // Tashia NPC Mod -> Full version (ToB required)
~SETUP-TASHIA.TP2~ #0 #2 // Tashia Add-on Pack by Bri and Lord Ernie (English only, Tashia ToB Required) -> Action Style dialogues
~SETUP-AMBER.TP2~ #0 #0 // Amber the NPC MOD for BGII:SoA
~SETUP-AMBER.TP2~ #0 #1 // multiplayer-friendly flirting for Amber
~SETUP-D0TWEAK.TP2~ #0 #0 // Enhanced Goodberries
~SETUP-D0TWEAK.TP2~ #0 #4 // Tweaked Weapon Enchantments
~SETUP-D0TWEAK.TP2~ #0 #11 // Visual Ioun Stones
~SETUP-D0TWEAK.TP2~ #0 #13 // Kensai Ryu's Restored Drow Innate Abilities
~SETUP-CELESTIALS.TP2~ #0 #0 // PnP Celestials
~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #0 // 1PP: Everything but Potions
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #60 // Weapon Animation Tweaks
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #120 // Change Avatar When Wearing Robes or Armor (Galactygon)
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1010 // More Interjections
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1020 // Alter HP Triggers for NPC Wounded Dialogues
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1040 // Improved Athkatlan City Guard
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1080 // Add Bags of Holding
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1150 // Shapeshifter Rebalancing
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1170 // Bonus Merchants (Baldurdash)
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1180 // Female Edwina
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2010 // PnP Spell Progression Tables
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2060 // Weapon Styles for All
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2150 // Wear Multiple Protection Items -> P&P Restrictions
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2160 // Rebalanced Weapon Proficiencies
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2170 // Cast Spells from Scrolls (and Other Items) at Character Level
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2180 // Un-Nerfed THAC0 Table, Saving Throws, Grand-Mastery, and  Arcane, Divine Spell Progression (Blucher)
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2191 // Limit Ability of Storekeepers to Identify Items -> Identification Ability is Based on Storekeeper's Lore
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2210 // True Grand Mastery (Baldurdash)
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3060 // Remove "You Must Gather Your Party..." Sound (Weimer)
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3150 // Turn Off The Hideous Cloak-of-Mirroring and Spell-Trap Animation
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3200 // Sellable Staffs, Clubs, and Slings (Icelus)
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4010 // Improved Fate Spirit Summoning
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4020 // ToB-Style NPCs
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4050 // Change Jaheira to Neutral Good
~SETUP-REFINEMENTS.TP2~ #0 #10 // Revised High Level Abilities
~SETUP-DUNGEONBEGONE.TP2~ #0 #0 // Dungeon Be Gone V1.4

Hmmm...

It certainly does not sound like something Amber would cause of this issue, since it has affected other NPCs as well. If it had been only Amber, it could have been a bug that would happen if the kidnapping occurred in Trademeet. That has been reported to work properly before, though, so I don't think it's the cause of the problem. I probably should cross check it anyway, though.

[After we kick out a character, they appear to leave as they should, but when we re-enter the area, that character is visible on one or both computers./quote]

The fact that the character may not appear to both players seems to point to a some sort of multiplayer game clitch. It might not have directly anything to do with mods, though I'm not 100% sure.

How is your multiplayer game set up? Are you using TCP/IP or IPX protocol? Do everyone have the same mods installed? If you copy the savegame to singleplayer savefolder and load it as singleplayer game do the characters still keep appearing to the areas where they were kicked out? If the character does not appear to all players is it a hosting computer or the guest?

Guest Jellybee22
How is your multiplayer game set up? Are you using TCP/IP or IPX protocol?

We're using IPX (can't seem to get TCP/IP to work).

Do everyone have the same mods installed?

I installed all the mods on my computer, then copied the override folder, dialog.tlk, BGMain.exe, and music folder to my friend's comp. Actually, even after making sure we both have the same music files/folders, he hasn't been able to hear romance music from Amber, Tashia, or even the Bioware girls. ...D'oh! Now I wonder if I screwed up by not installing the mods directly on his computer before copying the override and dialog.tlk... :) I think I'll give that a try when we meet again...

If you copy the savegame to singleplayer savefolder and load it as singleplayer game do the characters still keep appearing to the areas where they were kicked out?

Haven't tried... I'm meeting with my friend again tomorrow, we'll give it a look. (He's got the save files.)

If the character does not appear to all players is it a hosting computer or the guest?

It's happened both ways: I'd be able to see Viconia where we left her, but there was no one on my friend's screen. On the other hand, we once talked to Anomen, got him to go to his estate, followed him there and my friend could see him, but I could not. And after Amber's abduction, we found out she was still hanging out in front of Coprith's house when I couldn't get the door to close, and then my friend tells me she's still there!

*sigh* Anyhow, I suppose I'll re-install the mods on his comp, copy override and dialog.tlk for parity, and then try the save in singleplayer tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the support! :)

Guest Jellybee22

Okay, I installed the mods and copied override and dialog.tlk to his computer, tried the save in singleplayer, and the characters don't stay behind after being kicked out (tested with Minsc and Yoshimo). Went back to check if the problem is still there in multiplayer, and it is. We kicked Minsc out, left and re-entered, and he was still there on my computer but not for the host.

Also, we tried a new game again (after installing all the mods properly) to see if the problem is still there, and this time the booted character was visible on the host computer, but not mine! So it really does seem random which computer can see the booted character.

As for the romance music, it seems to work for singleplayer, but now we can't hear it on either computer in multiplayer. (Before, I could at least hear it on my comp.)

So my guess at this point (assuming I didn't make anymore stupid mistakes) is that one of the other mods I've got hasn't been tested with multiplayer. :) I guess we'll have to put it on hold again until we figure this thing out.

You said that you have installed the mods again, but have you tried to re-install the game itself? Or tried if the issue occurs even if you remove all the mods? For my part I can't think of anything a mod would (or even could) do that messes the multiplayer game in such way.

Of the mods you listed I've played multiplayer game with flirt- and banterpacks, BG2 fixpack. I don't think that any of our beta testers played true* multiplayer even when they tested the P2 romance, so not all mods listed as tested with Amber are not necessarily tested in MP game.

* with two or more computers

When I have time I'll try to install the same mods as you have to see if I can re-create the problem.

As for the music, are the files mxm#am.mus m#blank.mus and folder called mxm#am (with handful of acm files inside) in the 'music' folder of both computers? It's entirely possible that the player that Amber is not speaking at can't hear the music even if the dialogue is visible for both. IRC the same applies for Bio-NPCs, though I'm not sure. Nevertheless the player she's speaking at should be able to hear the music.

Guest Jellybee22
You said that you have installed the mods again, but have you tried to re-install the game itself?

When I installed the mods on his computer, it was on a fresh install w/Bioware patch. For my part, I make a habit of backing up the override folder, BGMain.exe, baldur.ini, Chitin.key, and dialog.tlk from the patched, unmodded game. I replace the files in the main directory with the backups and delete old mod files (tp2's, mod folders, WeiDU.log, etc.) whenever I install a new set of mods, as I did this time. :D That's enough, right?

...Or tried if the issue occurs even if you remove all the mods?

No, we haven't tried BG2 multiplayer before... I had hoped to introduce my friend to BG2 this way, but he may just have to play singleplayer if MP is just going to give us this much trouble...

As for the music, are the files mxm#am.mus m#blank.mus and folder called mxm#am (with handful of acm files inside) in the 'music' folder of both computers? It's entirely possible that the player that Amber is not speaking at can't hear the music even if the dialogue is visible for both. IRC the same applies for Bio-NPCs, though I'm not sure. Nevertheless the player she's speaking at should be able to hear the music.

Yes, I made sure those files were present in both computers, but it's a relief to know that Amber's romance music was only supposed to be heard on my computer. :);) I'm not sure what's going on with the rest of the romance music, though... he couldn't hear Tashia's, Aerie's, or Jaheira's themes when they initiated lovetalks with him, though I could hear them on my comp.

:) Maybe it's too early to introduce him to mods... he hasn't even played through singleplayer once, and I suppose everyone's first experience with BG2 should be that way. :( Oh well, I guess I'll just have to play with Amber by myself, first! :D:D

Archived