Garrick subqest bug?

Guest Guest_roidesfoux_*

Guest Guest_roidesfoux_*

So someone approaches my party at the carnival and gives Garrick a book. He tells me that he wants to go to the Ulcaster region to find Myr'Cutio. I searched the entire region, and I can't find him. Am I looking in the wrong place?

-RdF

So someone approaches my party at the carnival and gives Garrick a book. He tells me that he wants to go to the Ulcaster region to find Myr'Cutio. I searched the entire region, and I can't find him. Am I looking in the wrong place?

-RdF

He should be in the region with the Ulcaster ruins, not by the ruins themselves but close to the Western edge of the area and if I remember rightly down a side path in a dead end. If he's not there, something is wrong, but he was when I did the quest with the last version.

which version of BG1NPC do you have installed? this quest is currently broken in the BGT version - Myr'Cutio doesn't show because (at least) one of the area names wasn't transcribed from Tutu-naming to BGT-naming. there is, as yet, no solution to this (other than CLUAing in the armour Myr'Cutio provides).

of course, if yr not using BGT, i've got no idea why it's not working....

With any luck Chev will clear us to open up v12 today - depending on whether he managed to put in a full work day, then come home and ignore RL for some gaming time!

v12 should have the naming conventions right as both Sir BillyBob and Ascension64 worked on the renaming, but after you move to v12 if you run into the problem again please let them know at SHS. They will be able to send me the correct reference and we can get it nailed down.

If using v11 or v12 for Tutu, as posted above check each one of the dead ends and you will run into the dead bard and his... companions.

I'm playing an EasyTutu game with BG1 NPC v12b2. This is how Garrick's subquest played out for me so fair warning on the *spoiler*. I have Garrick in the party and the guy at the carnival approaches and gives Garrick a book. Or at least he *says* he does... an inventory check reveals no book. No big deal, Garrick picks his pocket for it (the oldguy *is* a bit senile anyway, right?) and we're on our way to Myr'Cutio in Ulcaster. We find him with his friends near the western edge, as specified (maybe he's only there at night, like the other ghosts?) So we banter with him and he says he wants to be 'put to rest' and his zombies attack. We waste them but Myr'Cutio is still there as before. Talking to him again initiates the same initial dialog, but it cuts off after Garrick says 'We come seeking tales of your wisdom and adventure, noble spirit.' So we attack Myr'Cutio and kill him for some decent exp and items - Garrick even banters about the armor and Myr'Cutio. But Myr'Cutio was non-aggressive the whole time. Just think it'd be a little more realistic if he attacked at the same time as the zombies and perhaps cast a few mean spells etc. Maybe he should even say something with his 'dying' ('undying?') breath.

I will check this immediately - what you ask for at the end is exactly what is supposed to happen! I don't know what is going on with the books in Dy's quest and Garrick's quest - the code is really straightforward and has worked over and over again, for several years, including all the playtests :). GiveItemCreate should be doing the job.

I am rechecking and rebuilding right now.

EDIT: OK, the Archibald thing I still am unsure of, but the mysterious Friendly Ghost thing is now taken care of - I am going to ask Cam to put out another Beta today with these fixes (and the last few listed around here, too).

It was a DV naming thing in a BAF. When we upgraded the tp2 code to patch in DVs, I missed three references. I need to use more than one editing program to recheck mass search-replace things, now that I no longer can spend 3 or 4 hours going line by line rechecking each change... Thank you so much for reporting!

EDIT2: aaaaaand... same problem. Now fixed! I will spend a few more hours (Conference Day at school, so I am stuck sitting around) cleaning up some stuff, then send a new version over to CamDawg. If you want to replay the section, hold back a save, as it should be an easy fix. If you would like the files and code to change, let me know, and I will post it here!

Maybe he should even say something with his 'dying' ('undying?') breath.
I will check this immediately - what you ask for at the end is exactly what is supposed to happen!
Maybe, once again, I'm not looking in the right place... can you point me toward where this block should be?

Who authored Garrick's subquest? All I can find in the readme is that it was added in September 2003.

Also in BG1NPCReadMe.html:

"For documentation to troubleshoot Romances or Quests, please click on the appropriate links please follow these links, or reference the individual .html files in the directory BG1NPC\Documents:"

Lowercase "Romances and Quests" and delete one of the "please..." clauses. Half of these aren't actually links. I would suggest either removing them from the list and adding a sentence saying they don't have separate readmes, or actually creating those readmes. I guess I can do this for Garrick's quest since I'm already looking at it - it won't be long though, and I lack the knowledge to do them for the other quests w/o readmes (Coran, Ajantis, Xan and Xzar).

Works In Progress -- just not done yet. Dunno about authorship - better check with Domi. As for the code, the problem was in the tp2, as we did not assign all the DVs. The (realtively) new "rename and reassign all wanted string references to all creatures at install so we don't have scrambled strings" idea took care of this, IIRC.

It would be great if you tossed a Garrick Readme together!

Yeah, I saw the DVs had been fixed, just wasn't sure about the end dialogue. Since you said that's how it was supposed to work, I figured it was in there already and just not firing properly. All it would really take is one line of dialogue. I'd suggest something but my brain is kinda fried again, and why bother if it's already done somewhere.

If we are talking about the "after the quest wrapup about the armor",

in D:\BaldursGateTutu\BG1NPC\Phase2\BAF\X#GAINT2.BAF, attached to Garrick's BCS

IF
AreaCheck("FW3900")
PartyHasItem("X#GARCH")
Global("X#PostMyrChat","LOCALS",0)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
PlaySong(0)
PlaySound("garri99")
SetGlobal("X#PostMyrChat","LOCALS",1)
StartDialogueNoSet(Player1)
END

in D:\BaldursGateTutu\BG1NPC\Phase2\DLG\X#GARWYL.D

APPEND ~_GARRIJ~

IF WEIGHT #-2 ~AreaCheck("FW3900") PartyHasItem("X#GARCH") Global("X#PostMyrChat","LOCALS",1)~ THEN BEGIN PostMyrChat
SAY @25
IF ~~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("X#PostMyrChat","LOCALS",2)~ EXIT
END

END

This may be cleaned up a-la Kulyok's coding template, so the numbers will be incremented by one, but it is currently running from the NPC BCS. Here - I'll do the recode now, just 'cause it is in my Phase and needs to be done:

in D:\BaldursGateTutu\BG1NPC\Phase2\BAF\X#GAINT2.BAF, attached to Garrick's BCS

/* Available: Garrick Comments on Armor */
IF
InParty(Myself)
AreaCheck("FW3900")
PartyHasItem("X#GARCH")
CombatCounter(0)
!See([ENEMY]) 
InMyArea(Player1)
!StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
!StateCheck(Player1,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
SetGlobal("X#PostMyrChat","LOCALS",1)
END

/* Initiate: Garrick Comments on Armor */
IF
InParty(Myself)
AreaCheck("FW3900")
PartyHasItem("X#GARCH")
CombatCounter(0)
!See([ENEMY]) 
InMyArea(Player1)
!StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
!StateCheck(Player1,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
PlaySong(0)
PlaySound("garri99")
StartDialogueNoSet(Player1)
END

in D:\BaldursGateTutu\BG1NPC\Phase2\DLG\X#GARWYL.D

APPEND ~_GARRIJ~

IF WEIGHT #-2 ~Global("X#PostMyrChat","LOCALS",1)~ THEN BEGIN PostMyrChat
SAY @25
IF ~~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("X#PostMyrChat","LOCALS",2)~ EXIT
END

END

Locked and loaded in my internal copy; I will update the available for download internal after my coding session this Sunday.

No, not the bit where Garrick banters about the armour - that has always worked AFAIK. Just a line where:

Maybe he [Myr'Cutio] should even say something with his 'dying' ('undying?') breath.
I will check this immediately - what you ask for at the end is exactly what is supposed to happen!
I'm not much of a writer, but maybe something like this:

~At last, I can seek my final adventure! My thanks for freeing me from this odious state, brave Sir Garrick. May you fare well in your own adventures.~

And then, if you wanted to be really theatrical, you could have what's left of him fade away or blow up or dissolve into mist or something. If that's possible. I could do it with an EFF maybe, but I'm not sure how to trigger that upon death. Though of course, not absolutely necessary. But the previous dialogue at least led me to believe there should be a final line from Myr'Cutio so I was rather confused by its absence.

Ohh.... I guess I misunderstood your original post. No, I'm afraid my plate is overfull already, and I know that there are *lots* of problems making things like this work (scripting in both BG2 and Tutu where you reduce something to one HP, then initiate conversation, then allow the death show lots of bug reports, and that is just the BioWare stuff like the Sphere and such).

I don't plan on building any further dialogue and adding for the Garrick subquest; if you contact the original author (definitely ask Domi for that info) and get permission to give it a whirl, you are welcome to try it out :)

Nevermind then. Your original response led me to believe that's what was supposed to happen. I don't want to go through the hassle to contact one author to contact another (who may or may not still be around - most likely not) to get permission to add one line of dialogue to accomplish something that sounds like it's problematic anyway. I'm sure there are headier issues to tackle, like whether Jaheira's club should be a staff. :)

we're on our way to Myr'Cutio in Ulcaster. We find him with his friends near the western edge, as specified (maybe he's only there at night, like the other ghosts?) So we banter with him and he says he wants to be 'put to rest' and his zombies attack. We waste them but Myr'Cutio is still there as before. Talking to him again initiates the same initial dialog, but it cuts off after Garrick says 'We come seeking tales of your wisdom and adventure, noble spirit.'

The same thing happens to me, Garrick says, "'We come seeking tales of your wisdom and adventure, noble spirit." and I click the Continue button, but the conversation just ends and Myr'Cutio doesn't attack or anything. I also don't understand why my entire party gets intermittently bardsonged while in this area. Here's my WeiDU.log:

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods

// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod

// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #0 // The BG1 NPC Project: Required Modifications for Version 14, September 18, 2007

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #1 // The BG1 NPC Project: Banters, Quests, and Interjections

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #2 // The BG1 NPC Project: Give Edwin his BG2 portrait.

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #3 // The BG1 NPC Project: Give Imoen her BG2 portrait.

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #4 // The BG1 NPC Project: Give Jaheira her BG2 portrait.

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #5 // The BG1 NPC Project: Give Minsc his BG2 portrait.

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #6 // The BG1 NPC Project: Give Viconia her BG2 portrait.

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #7 // The BG1 NPC Project: Kivan's "Kivan and Deheriana Companions" portrait

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #8 // The BG1 NPC Project: Add Non-Joinable NPC portraits to quests and dialogues

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #9 // The BG1 NPC Project: Ajantis Romance Core (teen content)

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #10 // The BG1 NPC Project: Branwen's Romance Core (teen content)

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #11 // The BG1 NPC Project: Coran's Romance Core (adult content)

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #12 // The BG1 NPC Project: Dynaheir's Romance Core (teen content)

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #13 // The BG1 NPC Project: Shar-Teel Relationship Core (adult content)

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #14 // The BG1 NPC Project: Xan's Romance Core (teen content)

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #15 // The BG1 NPC Project: Female Romance Challenges, Ajantis vs Xan vs Coran

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #16 // The BG1 NPC Project: NPCs can be sent to wait in an inn.

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #17 // The BG1 NPC Project: Alora's Starting Location. -> Alora Starts in the Hall of Wonders.

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #19 // The BG1 NPC Project: Eldoth's Starting Location. -> Eldoth Starts in the Cloakwood Forest.

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #21 // The BG1 NPC Project: Quayle's Starting Location. -> Quayle Starts at the Wyrm's Crossing.

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #23 // The BG1 NPC Project: Tiax's Starting Location. -> Tiax Starts in Baldur's Gate.

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #25 // Jason Compton's Accelerated Banter Script.

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #26 // The BG1 NPC Project: Make Shar-Teel Unkillable until In Party

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #27 // The BG1 NPC Project: Bardic Reputation Adjustment

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #28 // The BG1 NPC Project: Cloakwood areas availability in Chapter One -> Open Cloakwood Lodge (first Cloakwood area only)

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #30 // The BG1 NPC Project: Sarevok's Diary Adjustments -> SixofSpades Extended Sarevok's Diary

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #32 // The BG1 NPC Project: Check for TutuFix Walking Speeds

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #200 // The BG1 NPC Project: Player-Initiated Dialogues

~SETUP-TUTUGUI.TP2~ #0 #0 // Baldurs Gate I GUI for Tutu

Love the Project, I hope pointing this out will help you guys make it even better!

Hmmm... will investigate. Thanks for the report!

IF ~%BGT_VAR% OR(2)!InParty("garrick") Dead("garrick")~ THEN MyrCutioNoGarrick
SAY @0
IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

CHAIN IF ~%BGT_VAR% InParty("garrick") InMyArea("garrick") !StateCheck("garrick",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN X#GARWYL MyrCutioGarrickChain
@1
== ~%GARRICK_JOINED%~ @2
== ~%TIAX_JOINED%~ IF ~InParty("tiax") InMyArea("tiax") !StateCheck("tiax",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN @3
== ~%QUAYLE_JOINED%~ IF ~InParty("quayle") InMyArea("quayle") !StateCheck("quayle",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN @4
== ~X#GARWYL~ @5
== ~%GARRICK_JOINED%~ @6
== ~X#GARZ01~ @7
== ~X#GARWYL~ @8
== ~X#GARZ04~ @9
== ~X#GARZ02~ @10
== ~%TIAX_JOINED%~ IF ~InParty("tiax") InMyArea("tiax") !StateCheck("tiax",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN @7
== ~%TIAX_JOINED%~ IF ~InParty("tiax") InMyArea("tiax") !StateCheck("tiax",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN @11
== ~X#GARZ04~ @12
== ~%GARRICK_JOINED%~ @13
== ~X#GARZ04~ @14
== ~%XZAR_JOINED%~ IF ~InParty("xzar") InMyArea("xzar") !StateCheck("xzar",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty("montaron") InMyArea("montaron") !StateCheck("montaron",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN @15
== ~X#GARZ03~ @16
== ~%MONTARON_JOINED%~ IF ~InParty("xzar") InMyArea("xzar") !StateCheck("xzar",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty("montaron") InMyArea("montaron") !StateCheck("montaron",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN @17
== ~%GARRICK_JOINED%~ @18
== ~X#GARWYL~ @19
== ~%AJANTIS_JOINED%~ IF ~InParty("ajantis") InMyArea("ajantis") !StateCheck("ajantis",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN @20
== ~%BRANWEN_JOINED%~ IF ~InParty("branwen") InMyArea("branwen") !StateCheck("branwen",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN @21
== ~%GARRICK_JOINED%~ @22
== ~X#GARWYL~ @23
END
IF ~~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("X#WyliamChat","GLOBAL",2)
ActionOverride("myrcutio",Enemy())
ActionOverride("X#GARZ01",Enemy())
ActionOverride("X#GARZ02",Enemy())
ActionOverride("X#GARZ03",Enemy())
ActionOverride("X#GARZ04",Enemy())~ JOURNAL @24
EXIT

Oooooh - found it. For some reason, we relied on the distributed .cre to have the DV - and perhaps something didn't copy over correctly. On my EasyTutu_ToB install, it works great, so I am not sure what is going on, but we can make sure it never happens on anyone's install by manually reinforcing the DV at install.

To fix this in your game, open up NI and find x#garwyl.cre in your override.

Then edit his script name/death variable to

myrcutio

and save the game. I am setting his DV in the tp2 for v15, due out as soon as I can get soem stuff for the BGT compatibility fixed up :)

Archived