Non joinable NPCs disappearing

Diana

I have two non-joinable npcs in a mod. One was created by having him spawned by an area script, the other by a joinable npc's script with the CreateCreatureOffscreen function. After they say their bits of dialogue I use EscapeAreaMove to send them to their new location.

When my party goes to the new location, the 2 non-joinables are there and the group can interact with them and we leave that location. There are no EscapeArea() or MoveGlobalObject() commands impacting the two non-joinables either via dialogue or script so I am at a loss to figure out why one or the other disappears when I return later. The area they are in doesn't change like those used in stronghold quests so this is really puzzling. :mad:

It may be worthwhile to run an NI search on 'find references to these files' on the creature files--it should be able to pick up anything (including scripts) which reference their DVs. Perhaps there's a spare bit of script laying around that's doing it.

Guest Guest_Diana_*
It may be worthwhile to run an NI search on 'find references to these files' on the creature files--it should be able to pick up anything (including scripts) which reference their DVs. Perhaps there's a spare bit of script laying around that's doing it.

Could never use NI (being on dial-up so couldn't download the full components it needs).

There really shouldn't be any spare scripts moving them but I'll check. Both were created in DLTCEP by changing some elements of existing in-game Bioware commoners and they have unique DVs. But you've given me something to think about - I'll take a look tonight with DLTCEP and see if they have anything other than an 'Override Script' (talk to CHARNAME on sight) assigned. Or maybe, just maybe, I've picked up the original cre's they were cloned from time setting (when they appear and disappear in an area).

Thanks.

Are you sure you can't use NI? The Java Runtime Environment isn't too big a download (much, much smaller than the Java SDK). I managed when I was on dialup, though my connection may have been better.

I only use DLTCEP for graphical area editing, and then only if I have to. It's not very intuitive. I prefer NI for just about everything else, including saved games.

Guest Guest_Diana_*
Are you sure you can't use NI? The Java Runtime Environment isn't too big a download (much, much smaller than the Java SDK). I managed when I was on dialup, though my connection may have been better.

I only use DLTCEP for graphical area editing, and then only if I have to. It's not very intuitive. I prefer NI for just about everything else, including saved games.

Last time I tried to use NI with the Java download was maybe 5-6 years ago. Can you please provide me with a link to this smaller 'Java Runtime Environment' so I can give it another try? Thanks.

Here's the main LINK

Scroll down until you see Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 5.0 Update 9 and click the Download button. You might get a warning box about nonsecure items; just click Yes if you do.

The top of the download list will show two options for Windows download, a full-size download for offline installation (about 15Mb), and a stub application that'll download only the languages you specify and install them for you (about 7Mb depending on what you select). You'll have to click a button saying you agree with the license agreement before you'll be allowed to start downloading.

The installation should be painless and usually doesn't require you to restart your computer. At least it doesn't in Windows XP. After that, you can run JAR files such as Near Infinity. It'll also automatically add Sun java capability to your internet browser for running java scripts on web pages.

There's a forum at PPG dedicated to updating NI, but it seems to be stagnant. You should contact them about getting the latest NI beta version if you don't have it. (I can't seem to find my copy; it might be on my old computer.)

Also, here's Near Infinity's Home Page which is useful as it has installation and usage instructions for NI.

Archived