First time BG user set up instructions

geethreeuser

Hello all.

Background situation:

I have here a bud here who in spite of being a hard core 3rd edition PnP fanatic, has never seen the baldur's gate for windows/PC (he has only played the lame playstation version, but he liked it, and wants to see more--so, I am setting him up with the whole package, BG1, SOA, TOB, including all the best "noobie" mods (yes, I am the 'nice one'...).

I have put together a detailed "checklist" install instruction text file, to go on a CD with all the relevant, sorted modification files he will ever need (current as of 11 october 2006) to go from BG1TOTSC thru to TOB, then beyond. I figure this procedure may well confuse him badly, so best to lay it out plain from the get-go; this is where input from you guys can help him.

He is very excited about this, and HAS specifically requested that his BG games be made as challenging as possible from a PnP perspective, so I intend to accomodate him by maximizing everything that makes the games "harder", while minimizing blatant powergaming cheese "just for the sake of cheese", and then let him figure it out all by himself "for the first time" as it were (frankly, the BG games are already pretty ripe without 'help', but a little cheesyness is welcome if it really 'contributes' something too).

Therefore, I ask you guys to look over this "plan" below, and advise me:--

--1. if I have (probly) made a mis-step/overlooked conflicts somewhere;

--2. if there is a better way to go about this.

--3. general comments, in particular about overlooked "gothchas"

[Assumptions:--

--1. This will be run on at least windows 2000, probly xp, decent processor, video card, etc. available data disks are: BG1 ('original saga', 3-disk set), BG2SOA (4 disk set), and TOB (just the one disk).

--2. neophyte PC user, but quick learner, therefore explicit instructions are probly best for now.

--3. He is very familiar with PnP, but has zero experience with internet/PC video games/gaming in gerneral, so need to minimize in-game bugs and editing work-arounds, etc. ("plug and play" as possible--at least as far as he is concerned)

--4. Tutu will be avoided for now, due to likely WinXP install issues, as well as known, unavoidable fatal bugs...(feel free to correct me on this if I am off base here)

--5. while the 'perfect' BG game is not possible, let's see how close we can get!

]

Checklist Text file as follows:

install: BG1TOTSC, "custom"--then check ALL boxes;

(If using windowsXP, this install needs win2000 compatability mode, so manually run BG1

"setup.exe" to install, and then backup the registry entry for "BGmain.exe" for future reference)

install: BG2SOA, "full" disk install;

(probly best to use windows 2000 compatability mode under WinXP here as well...)

install: BG2TOB, "full" disk install;

exe: bioware TOB patch, "BGII-ThroneofBhaal_Patch_26498_ENGLISH.exe";

FROM the BG1 main dir:

-----------------------

exe: baldurdash BG1 fixpack, "BG1FixPack11.exe";

Extract: 'racial traits', "atraits_bg1.zip" to BG1 \overide;

Extract: contents of 'dudleyville' fixpack zip files:

1. FixPack #1 - extract to your BG1 \Override folder

2. FixPack #2 - extract to your BG1 main game folder (e.g. "Baldurs Gate")

3. FixPack #3 - extract to your BG1 \Music folder;

(look forward to upcoming G3 BG1 unfinished business v??? , but currently v3 is still questionable, as is BG1 THE FIELDS OF THE DEAD, YMMV)

Now fire up the BG1 engine (but leave BG2 alone!!!), and see if it works!

Quit BG1.

Now, at this point you may/may not decide to either install one of two more mods:

option A.

exe: BG1 unfinished business, "BG1UB-v3.exe";

--OR--

option B.

convert to tutu/easytutu via BG2;

thing is that easy tutu is still questionable, and tutu has issues as well, so best stick with U.B. for now....

FROM the BG2 main dir:

-----------------------

exe: baldurdash TOB fixpack v1.12, "BG2ThroneOfBhaalFixPack112.exe";

exe: baldurdash TOB text fix, "BG2ThroneOfBhaalGameTextUpdate12.exe";

copy/extract: SOA/TOB 'bonus merchants', files "ar0406.bcs", "ar0702.bcs" goto BG2 \overide;

exe/extract: 7 de-nerfed bhaalspawns/demog:

"BG2TOBDavidGaider'sBhaalpowers.zip"

"BG2TOBDavidGaider'sImprovedTougherAbazigalv1.1.zip"

"BG2TOBDavidGaider'sImprovedTougherBalthazar.zip"

"BG2TOBDavidGaider'sImprovedTougherGromnir.zip"

"BG2TOBDavidGaider'sImprovedTougherIllasera.zip"

"BG2TOBDavidGaider'sImprovedTougherYagaShura.zip"

"BG2TOBDavidGaider'sOriginalTougherDemogorgonv2.1.zip"

goto BG2 \override;

exe: 'ease of use', Weimer-Ease-v32.exe",

Component 01***: Infinite Weapon and Potion Stacking

Component 02***: Infinite Weapon and Potion Stacking (ToB)

Component 03!!!: Multi-Class Grand Mastery

Component 04: True Grand Mastery

Component 05: Shut Up "You Must Gather Your Party ..."

Component 06***: Faster Chapter 1&2 Cut-Scenes & Dreams

Component 07: Wear Magical Armor AND Magic Rings

Component 10: Un-Nerfed THAC0 Table, Saving Throws, ...

Component 11: XP Cap Remover

Component 12: Multi-Player Kick Out Patch

Component 13: Invisible Cloak of Mirroring Animation

Component 14!!!: Bottomless Bag of Holding

Component 15: Multiple Strongholds (v1.8)

Component 16: Bonus Merchants

Component 17: Keep Drizzt's Loot, Disable Malchor Harpell

Component 18: No Drow Avatars on Party In Underdark

Component 19: Imoen ToB Dialogue Fix

Component 20: Shapeshifter Rebalancing

Component 21: Female Edwina

Component 22: Romance: Bug Fixes

Component 23: Romance: Ignore Race/Gender

Component 24: Romance: Multiple NPCs Concurrently

Component 25***: Romance: Multiple NPCs Concurrently, Say Anything

Component 26***: Happy: NPCs Won't Fight Each Other or Leave

Component 27: Low Reputation Store Discount

Component 28***: No Traps or Locks

Component 29***: Rest Anywhere

(key: !!! = caution, can be unstable, *** = powergaming cheese, skip

exe: 'undererpresented items', "Weimer-Underrep-v5.exe" (somewhat cheesy, but good);

exe: 'tactics mod', "Weimer-TacticsMod-v23.exe";

exe: 'de-nerfed horns', "Improved_Horns-v1.2.exe";

exe: 'de-nerfed celestials', "PnPCelestials-v4.exe";

exe: PPG--BG2 'unfinished business", "UnfinishedBusiness-v15.exe"

(can skip bhaalspawn powers denerf component, as it is already in);

exe: PPG 'questpack', "D0QuestPack_v23.exe";

exe: g3 'oversight' "Oversight-v9.exe";

BG2 NPC mods:

exe: ascension expansion, "Ascension-WeiDU-v1.4.21.exe", then run setup in main dir, "Setup-Ascension.exe"; then exe: "LongerRoad_v1.5.1.exe", run setup in main dir, "Setup-LongerRoad.exe"; (this can later be UNinstalled, and swapped in whole with "redemption", if you beleive that the irenicus actually might be able to be 'redeemed'.)

By similar procedure try also: 'valen' / 'solaufein', 'kelsey' also consider 'toetemic cernd' (the NON-cheese cerndNPC), 'auren', 'xan' etc...

EOF

Definitely consider bug fixes and similar type mods as they'll generally make things work better and might bring the game closer to the actual rules it claims to be based on. Your friend likes what he's played so far, so he probably won't mind that the BG series is primarily a D&D combat simulator with a few quests thrown in.

You might consider some of the newer NPC mods like Saerileth and others, as these tend to have more features than older mods.

Well, if it was me I would do a few things differently:

- Tutu over vanilla BG1: the only "fatal" bug I'm aware of is the Beregost one, and in half a dozen full games of Tutu I've never encountered it myself. To me Tutu is far superior to vanilla BG1 in so many ways. For one thing you can't use great mods like the BG1NPC Project and Sword Coast Stratagems with vanilla BG1. EasyTutu makes installation a snap as well.

- BG2 Fixpack instead of Baldurdash fixpacks - so much additional fix goodness.

- BG2Tweaks instead of Ease of Use - no reason to use EoU anymore.

- Bhaalspawn abilities and improved Bhaalspawn fights: I'd get these from Ascension-WeiDU instead of the (even more) ancient non-WeiDU versions.

- Tactics: I'd go with for instance the AI improvements of the D0QuestPack instead of (most of) Tactics. A first time player won't notice just how much some of those Tactics fights have been beefed (and cheesed) up anyways.

- Underrep: I like this mod, but it has the potential to severely unbalance the game with all those +5 items available practically at the beginning of SoA. (they're WAY too inexpensive)

- add Banter Packs: you just can't go wrong with more interaction.

I agree with Lemernis insofar as everyone should play unmodded BG2 all the way through *once*. Please note that I did *not* say that no fixpacks should be applied.

I disagree about Tutu. I quit playing BG1 out of boredom until Tutu, or more specifically until Tutu and the BG1 NPC project. But that's up to you. Maye he doesn't like NPC interaction as much as I do.

If you do decide to use Tutu and BG1 NPC, please PM me for the latest version -- no point in building a whole install package only to have the fixed-up stuff show up a week or three later!

The opinions below are my own, and only come from having had the same discussion with my brother, who is active duty and therefore can't keep up with the scene. This is in no way expert testimony!

On the BG1 vs Tutu front, you do have a hard choice. While I definitely prefer Tutu and cannot handle BG1's (to me) grainy graphics anymore, there are all sorts of ways of phrasing this arguement over original vs modded for the first run. I would check your pal's gameplay style and decide based on that.

If your friend is an old-school AD&D player with a tolerance for slightly older graphics (we are not talking Starfire or Ancient Art of War, here, more like older SSI titles :mad: ), then use BG1 and go for Fields of the Dead. Echon over at www.pocketplane.net has a good mod that uses close to pnp. I would avoid overloading the game with more (though Baronious' The Grey Clan episode 1 is a pretty heavy tactical challenge, and has versions for BG1 and Tutu). I would go ahead and use the BG1 Baldurdash and GTU.

If your pal is from the "graphics-1st" generation, and can't stand the fact that Diablo (NOT Diablo 2) can't be run in 1024x768, it is a waste of time to try to keep immersion in the original. I tried to go back to an old version of Silent Service this summer and just could not put up with the graphics. In that case, use EasyTutu-TOB, strong stable and bugfixed and runs beautifully on WinXP, complete with 3Daccel if you use the add-on Degreenifyer. If you think your pal wants lots of quests, perhaps a little romance, etc, add on BG1 NPC. If you want added tactical challenges, add on Sword Coast Stratagems and be prepared to teach your pal some advanced tactics -- I have memorized the reload-from-quicksave sequence on this one (no cheating, just a really good AI scripting series!).

On the BG2 side, the decisionmaking is actually much easier. The first time through is long enough that I have not ever made it all the way through TOB, even after playing this game and lurking on forums for several years. I would install, patch, and look for only game-end mods which add to the TOB portion the first time through. It will be well past 80 gaming hours before you get there, anyways! I would strongly suggest the BG2 FixPack, and if your friend is a male interested in romance of the good-guy, 90% platonic/romantic, non-incredibly-needy variety, Saerileth. If bad guys are your pal's thing, I would not bother adding more complications!

On both sections of the Saga, I would be very sparing using Tweaks of any kind. If you *have* to play with adding Tweaks, use BG2 Tweaks and avoid the multi-stronghold and multi-romance options, or the first time through will be more confusing than trying to watch Passions, Mile High, the A-Team, Project Runway, Survivor, and Star Trek: The Motion Picture on 6 screens simultaneously ("Hey, I'm the son of some dead God, have 4 girlfriends and a boyfriend, have a house in the country, a cute little Planar sphere, hey... what was it I was supposed to be doing?").

Please note: anyone who has been through the series gets a whole different rundown from me -- there is alot of cool stuff out there! The problem is that there is enough going in the original set of games for the first time around...

Update: mod list as of 2006.10.12.

Please critique this update, the install order in particular.

Bear in mind that most of these mods are new to me, so I have no idea if this is even a compatable modlist or not, so advice is very welcome. Ideally would like to have this install look its' best (with all the fine mods available), yet still be stable from beginning to end.

IN ORDER OF INSTALL (with comment):

BG1TOTSC stock

BG2+TOB stock

TOB bioware patch26498

EasyTutu_ToB.exe v.?current?

EasyTutu Degreenifier.v.4

tutufix.v.17

BG1NPC Project.v.12

Sword Coast Stratagems.v.2.02 (except for "skip candlekeep" cheat component),

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

...I do hope that is correct for a stable easytutu...as for the SOA portion:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

BG2FixPack361.exe (baldurdash)

BG2_Tweaks-v2.exe (excluding all convenience cheats save for

Shut Up "You Must Gather Your Party ..." (Weimer)

Low Reputation Store Discount, and select "Use BG2 stats" option for NPC "consistent stats" components)

BanterPackv6.exe (except for banter acceleration components)

Ascension-WeiDU-v1.4.21.exe

LongerRoad_v1.5.1.exe

BG2_Tweaks-v3.exe

PnPCelestials-v4.exe

Improved_Horns-v1.2.exe

NPC_Tweak-v3.0.exe

Weimer-Valen-v45.exe

Weimer-SolaufeinMod-v102.exe

Weimer-Underrep-v5.exe

Oversight-v9.exe

NPCFlirtV101.exe

KelseyTOBV22.exe

Saerileth (ver=?)

Yasraena (ver=?)

Auren-v4.exe

Xan_v2.exe

D0QuestPack.v23

Update: mod list as of 2006.10.12.

Please critique this update, the install order in particular.

IN ORDER OF INSTALL (with comment):

BG1TOTSC stock

BG2+TOB stock

TOB bioware patch26498

EasyTutu_ToB.exe v.?current?

EasyTutu Degreenifier.v.4

tutufix.v.17

BG1NPC Project.v.12

Sword Coast Stratagems.v.2.02 (except for "skip candlekeep" cheat component),

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

...I do hope that is correct for a stable easytutu...as for the SOA portion:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

That should give you a stable, playable experience. But there might be a new version of v12 with lots of nice goodies up in a couple days. cmorgan can comment on that better than I.

Now, on to your BG2 install...

BG2FixPack361.exe (baldurdash)

BG2_Tweaks-v2.exe (excluding all convenience cheats save for

Shut Up "You Must Gather Your Party ..." (Weimer)

Low Reputation Store Discount, and select "Use BG2 stats" option for NPC "consistent stats" components)

BanterPackv6.exe (except for banter acceleration components)

Ascension-WeiDU-v1.4.21.exe

LongerRoad_v1.5.1.exe

BG2_Tweaks-v3.exe

PnPCelestials-v4.exe

Improved_Horns-v1.2.exe

NPC_Tweak-v3.0.exe

Weimer-Valen-v45.exe

Weimer-SolaufeinMod-v102.exe

Weimer-Underrep-v5.exe

Oversight-v9.exe

NPCFlirtV101.exe

KelseyTOBV22.exe

Saerileth (ver=?)

Yasraena (ver=?)

Auren-v4.exe

Xan_v2.exe

D0QuestPack.v23

Well, I would recommend using the BG2 Fixpack here at G3, because it's darned good and is well maintained and supported. I do not know if that's what you have posted, because I do not recognize the version.

Tweaks, in general, should go late in the installation to make the most of it. But as you don't seem to be installing anything too major with it, it's probably all right anywhere.

Ascension should go right after the Fixpack. It's an older mod, and has installation order related issues. Unless your friend is a strategist, Ascension might be quite challenging for his first run through BG2. If you do decide to run Ascension, I would strongly consider Turnabout.

I have never run The Longer Road. I don't know how it is.

I notice you have a lot of NPC mods listed. Mods are not quite like the vanilla game. Modders try not to step on each others toes as much as possible, so they do not write content for another modder's creation. What that means in English is that if Xan won't talk to Kelsey. Kelsey was written by jcompton. Xan was written by Kulyok. I do not believe there is any cross-mod material. Having said that, all the NPC mods you list are quite good. Some *do* have cross-mod content if you install the Cross-Mod Banter-Pack here at G3.

I notice that you do not want to install the Banter Accellerator. It's up to you, of course, but if you like banter, you'll get it much more often if you install it.

My general-purpose installation order would go:

SoA, ToB, patch, Fixpack

Ascension (& Turnabout if wanted)

NPC mods in any order *except* that Valen and Solaufein should come before Kelsey

Quest Pack

Banterpack

Flirt Pack

Other quest mods, if wanted

Other item mods (Under-rep, etc.)

Rules & Tweaks mods including Oversight, PnP Celestials, Tweaks

As I said, I have never used The Longer Road, so I have no idea where that should go.

Hope that helped. Enjoy!

Thanks so much guys. This is really helping me catch up with these meshing procedures...which I will--with your assistance--continue to document as I figure things out.

This little project really does represent a whole lot of work by a lot of people, and that demands some respect.

I will no doubt post more questions soon.

Thanks to all.

Please consider *not* Baldurdashing your BG2 game and use the BG2 FixPack instead -- if a mod *requires* Baldurdash instead of the BG2 Fixpack, then I would consider not installing that mod. There is no reason to strap yourself into a well-built but ancient Corsair turboprop fighter (no matter how much tinkering has been done) when you have an F-111 warmed up, on the flight deck, and ready to go... especially when the Corsair has no flight support team, and the F-111 has the resources of an entire carrier battle-group :mad:

( I can say this because I have had absolutely nothing to do with either Baldurdash or BG2 Fix Pack development, but have read through all of the code of both of them, even though I didn't understand all of it.)

Archived