Looking for an Economy mod for BGTUTU

Guest KGub

Hi. I've spent several hours over the last few days installing a lot of mods to make BG1Tutu more difficult, and one final mod I would like to get, if anything like it exists, would be some kind of economy mod. Something that makes sell prices lower, buy prices higher, anything that will contribute to there being less gold to throw around in the world. I spent a while searching but couldn't find anything that sounded close to what I needed.

If there are no mods for it, is there any configuration options I could set myself to do something like this?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Hi. I've spent several hours over the last few days installing a lot of mods to make BG1Tutu more difficult, and one final mod I would like to get, if anything like it exists, would be some kind of economy mod. Something that makes sell prices lower, buy prices higher, anything that will contribute to there being less gold to throw around in the world. I spent a while searching but couldn't find anything that sounded close to what I needed.

If there are no mods for it, is there any configuration options I could set myself to do something like this?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

In a very small way, the "Replace many magic weapons with fine ones" component of Sword Coast Stratagems does this... because you tend to take magic weapons of the bodies of your foes and sell them, and since they're replaced with items of value about 1/3 of the original value, it makes some difference. But I won't pretend that it systematically does what you're after.

In a very small way, the "Replace many magic weapons with fine ones" component of Sword Coast Stratagems does this... because you tend to take magic weapons of the bodies of your foes and sell them, and since they're replaced with items of value about 1/3 of the original value, it makes some difference. But I won't pretend that it systematically does what you're after.

Yeah SCS was partially where I got the idea from, and I think it will help. Also I looked at Ding0's experience mod and was very impressed by it, that all experience values decrease by 25%, I was hoping to find something similar for loot.

Usually to curb the amount of gold I just "buy" scrolls of resurrection from Shadowkeeper for like 2k gold each to counterract the game's harsh death system and at the same time avoid reloads. It preserves some penalties while keeping it not as time-consuming as a no-reload rule. But I'd like to find a way to do it that would keep me immersed in the game.

Usually to curb the amount of gold I just "buy" scrolls of resurrection from Shadowkeeper for like 2k gold each to counterract the game's harsh death system and at the same time avoid reloads. It preserves some penalties while keeping it not as time-consuming as a no-reload rule. But I'd like to find a way to do it that would keep me immersed in the game.

How about a store that has an unlimited supply of Scrolls of Ressurection which it sells for 2000 gold each? :)

- D

How about a store that has an unlimited supply of Scrolls of Ressurection which it sells for 2000 gold each? :)

- D

Yeah that would actually work nicely, but I have no idea how to do that myself.

Yeah that would actually work nicely, but I have no idea how to do that myself.

Can you mod? WeiDU has a command called ADD_STORE (or something like that, see the WeiDU readme for details) that facilitates store creation/alteration. You might also have to whip up an NPC creature file and some dialogue... I haven't done this particular type of thing in a looong time, but I think it's pretty easy as far modding is concerned.

EDIT: You might even be able to just add the item to an existing store such as the Adventurer's Mart. Let me know if you can't do it... I might be able to zip it up for you if I have a bit of free time later.

:)

- D

Can you mod? WeiDU has a command called ADD_STORE (or something like that, see the WeiDU readme for details) that facilitates store creation/alteration. You might also have to whip up an NPC creature file and some dialogue... I haven't done this particular type of thing in a looong time, but I think it's pretty easy as far modding is concerned.

EDIT: You might even be able to just add the item to an existing store such as the Adventurer's Mart. Let me know if you can't do it... I might be able to zip it up for you if I have a bit of free time later.

:)

- D

I have no modding ability so I'm at the mercy of those great people who are capable :)

However I thought of something that might be easier... I'll probably just keep a low reputation so everything just costs 20-50% more. That'll probably be the easiest way to do things, plus it would be more fun, silly me for not thinking of it earlier. Thanks anyways for your input.

If you want to keep a low reputation as a role-playing decision, I can only applaud you, but I urge you to reconsider if you prefer to role-play good or neutral alignments.

If you do like role-playing, run a good-aligned PC, and still want to rid yourself of excess gold, you could always donate at temples. It's funny how fast your total goes down when you do that.

I have considered expanding DEF JAM to cater for gold, but it never materialized.

Incidentally, I just found some code I had lying around to increase the gold requirement for rescuing Imoen. If it appeals to anyone...shrug.

STRING_SET 22046 ~You have arrived, but all is not well.  Your employers ask you to collect 100,000 gold; I will deal for 75,000, so return when you have your spending under control.~
STRING_SET 20944 ~It may seem to be costly, but think of the danger in crossin' the Cowled Wizards. A fair price, if ye think about it. It be 100,000 gold pieces for their help.~
STRING_SET 20945 ~100,000 gold pieces!  That's an outrageous sum!!~
STRING_SET 20970 ~None.  It be 100,000 gp or me friends canna' be helping ye.~
20990 ~Ye has the 100,000 gold pieces as a payment for it, then?~
STRING_SET 20991 ~100,000 gold pieces!  That's an outrageous sum!!~
STRING_SET 34187 ~Collect the fee for Gaelan Bayle.

Gaelan Bayle will connect me with a group who will aid in finding Imoen, but the price is 100,000 gp!  A steep cost, but he did mention that it entailed crossing the Cowled Wizards, not something to be done lightly.  Once I have the 100,000 gp, I am to speak to him again.~
STRING_SET 6601 ~Return to Valen's mistress with 75,000 gp.

I encountered the mistress that Valen spoke of, but she refused to deal with me as I do not have 75,000 gp... her price for dealing with me.  She left, telling me to return to the Graveyard District to meet with her when I have 75,000 gp.~
STRING_SET 21032 ~Coo!  Ye be already above 75,000, and need go no further. My masters changed their hearts, and they will accept 75,000 alone. It is a competitive rate, I think.~
STRING_SET 21512 ~I would offer an alternative. I would help you find your friend for...oh... 75,000 gold? It is a sizeable amount less than the Shadow Thieves have asked and, coincidentally, it is what you have now.~
STRING_SET 49071 ~75,000 is a lot, but I will compensate you well for it. You will ultimately have Imoen, and a few magical trinkets too.~

COPY_EXISTING ~ar0800.bcs~ ~override~
		  ~baldur.bcs~ ~override~
DECOMPILE_BCS_TO_BAF
REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~PartyGoldGT(14999)~ ~PartyGoldGT(74999)~
COMPILE_BAF_TO_BCS
BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

COPY_EXISTING ~gaelan.dlg~ ~override~
		  ~bodhi.dlg~ ~override~
DECOMPILE_DLG_TO_D
REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~PartyGoldLT(20000)~ ~PartyGoldLT(100000)~
REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~PartyGoldGT(19999)~ ~PartyGoldGT(99999)~
REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~PartyGoldLT(15000)~ ~PartyGoldLT(75000)~
REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~PartyGoldGT(14999)~ ~PartyGoldGT(74999)~
REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~PartyGoldLT(50000)~ ~PartyGoldLT(100000)~
REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~PartyGoldGT(49999)~ ~PartyGoldGT(99999)~
REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~PartyGoldLT(5000)~ ~PartyGoldLT(20000)~
REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~PartyGoldGT(4999)~ ~PartyGoldGT(19999)~
REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~TakePartyGold(20000)~ ~TakePartyGold(100000) DestroyGold(100000)~
REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~TakePartyGold(15000)~ ~TakePartyGold(75000) DestroyGold(75000)~
REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~DestroyGold(15000)~ ~~
COMPILE_D_TO_DLG
BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

Again, not a universal economy mod but you might consider the following Tutu-compatible components of the BG2 Tweaks package:

# Breakable Nonmagical Armor, Helms, and Shields (Tutu Only)

# Gems and Potions Require Identification

Since you come across quite a few potions and gems, the latter will drain your parties cash quite a bit.

This occurred to me with the reputation discussion, though I'll admit I don't know much about the code. But couldn't you just modify the rep tables and increase the markup at every level? For example, if your reputation is poor you get a 200-300% markup on items bought, and even if it's good you still get 150% instead of 75% or whatever it is.

Failing that, you could use the Infinity Editor or a similar tool to increase the buy price and decrease sell prices on every store. A lot of work but doable since you're only changing two variables per store, not individual prices on all items.

I am waaay too tired to really think about this right now, but:

You might be able to write a PATCH_IF statement that checks creatures for gold and reduces the amount of any gold found by 50% or so. I don't even want to give it a shot right now (I'm about to pass out), but I think its possible. It may also be possible to PATCH_IF containers (not sure offhand).

- D

Archived